Are auctions the new black? (1 Viewer)

For sure building a network and reaching out by using PM would be a good approach... I might have done that already.... Also if anybody is reading this I'm in the market for some C&Js... trying to build an all C&J cash set, wish me luck I'll need it!
Wow this is pretty specific. C&J hotstamps? Are you looking for specific denominations?

I find what I want by searching the classifieds, if the item I want isn't available I find the last listing that sold and then pm the hell out of the buyer until they break....

Sound accurate @Denali ?

I’m a relatively new member (this past summer was my first actual post despite creating an ID a year ago to see a picture).

Despite that, I built my almost-complete set using all three methods over the last 8mo.

I’ve been that guy relentlessly refreshing the classifieds and my personal best was inside of a minute from the OP to me claiming sold. Refresh enough and you sometimes get lucky! The many I missed by minutes were indeed frustrating though!

As others have already said...I don’t think the PM sales are something crazy. Unless you’ve been living under a rock you were sick and tired of hearing me beg for black starbursts long ago. Nevertheless, a member with a rack he wanted to sell recently reached out to me first via PM and asked if I was interested before he listed them. Done. Still one of my favorite people I’ve never met!

And I’ve played the auction game too. I love charity auctions and will always overbid for the charity aspect more than anything else so I’ll ignore them and just look at straight-up auctions. A certain auction took place not long ago for two racks of chips I would have LOVED to use to finish my set. Price went above what I’d pay because (a) I really only needed 3-4 barrels (b) I have more time than money and (c) international shipping is a bitch! That being said, I love the fact that it would have allowed me to get what I needed if I really ‘needed’ them. Sort of like the obnoxiously priced 10chip stacks or whatever on eBay. Worth the price? No way! But at some point you say who cares if it’s what you need, or if it gets you started.

My point? I think variety adds options and having options is good for the health of the hobby and community!

Some people like to use these because they give more people an equal opportunity at the chips then a straight sale.
Clearly not everybody agrees on this, but I agree. Some people are on PCF way more than others, so they see straight up sales within seconds of them going out. Not a criticism, just a fact.

That's why I constantly request that people auction off chips that I am interested in (e.g., pink SB $500s). I know they will be gone by the time I get to them if they go to a straight up sale.

As I finally become someone that’s looking for some chips to fill holes, it does make you wonder where all these chips are.

We’re on PCF and you don’t see em on game or stack posts, you don’t see many mentioned in pRon posts, you don’t see much. I mean I’m familiar with Jeep’s chips, k9 has some awesomeness, etc. But I have no clue where these other 8 million chips are.

Not saying I wish these vaults would open (I prob couldn’t afford much out of them anyways), just wish we had some new prOn and action shots or something.
I think part of that (recently) is due to covid, much less inspiration to get the chips out, or reason for them to see play. I also think the increase of new members has made more members become hush hush on what they do have

Whoops, just stopping by.

VD6NFrS.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom