Are auctions the new black? (1 Viewer)

ReallyGoodUsername

Royal Flush
Site Vendor
Reaction score
For me the verdicts still out on whether auction prices are hurt by moving them to their own section (possibly impossible to tell now with prices generally rising across the board) regardless in the last month/week I feel I've seen more auctions started than in any month/week prior. So, are actions the new black?

1611770940982.gif

For me the verdicts still out on whether auction prices are hurt by moving them to their own section (possibly impossible to tell now with prices generally rising across the board) regardless in the last month/week I feel I've seen more auctions started than in any month/week prior. So, are actions the new black?

It definitely seemed like auctions were hurt at first when they were moved. But now I see them more. But maybe that’s just me. I am actually just about to list my first auctions because I feel like they get enough visibility now.

I don’t think people use auctions necessarily to maximize every penny of sale price although obviously lots do. Some people like to use these because they give more people an equal opportunity at the chips then a straight sale.

I plan to post some auctions for lots of random singles just because I don’t know how to price them.

Last edited:
Do what you want with your chips, but this particular reason is some flaming hot bullshit.

So you are saying you are a fan?!

The only thing I plan on selling via auction are random lots of singles that arent worth selling separately and I would have no idea how to price. Haven't bid on and don't plan to sell sets or racks.

I still don’t feel like they get the visibility or bids they used to, but maybe that allows for some better deals to be had at sub-market value

The only thing I plan on selling via auction are random lots of singles that arent worth selling separately and I would have no idea how to price. Haven't bid on and don't plan to sell sets or racks.
I like the way @JWC runs his singles. Pick what you want this is my guesstimate price. If they don't sell lower them to the next price group. Yes I have seen $10 chips sell for $5 and also $3 chips sell for $5... it kind of all comes out in the wash. But people looking for chips or samples can pick what they want without buying a whole lot! Pretty cool system if you ask me!

I am generally not a fan of auctions but I do believe charity auctions and rare chip auctions have their place!

I remeber when I joined a member complained about a rack of Le Cove $5 sold in seconds and none had been listed in years! Maybe that rack should have gone to auction for fairness and to truly establish its value amongst those hunting them for years. But something just bought off the forum... or something that sells regularly you should be able to figure out the value. If it is about fairness like stated above do a drawing for a winner rather than trying to extract max profit! We all have opinions that's mine.

Short novel today! Lol
Ben

Last edited:

Obviously I have a few things to say about auctions. But I'm not full of shit when I say "do what you want with your chips." If I saw you list a rack of secondary Cleveland Horseshoe $25's in an auction, I'd shake my head, because we all know what those are worth. But it pretty much goes in one ear and out the other. I don't track serial auctioners, or keep a shit list or anything. I just don't care that much.

I like the way @JWC runs his singles. Pick what you want this is my guesstimate price. If they don't sell lower them to the next price group. Yes I have seen $10 chips sell for $5 and also $3 chips sell for $5... it kind of all comes out in the wash. But people looking for chips or samples can pick what they want without buying a whole lot! Pretty cool system if you ask me!

I am generally not a fan of auctions but I do believe charity auctions and rare chip auctions have their place!

I remeber when I joined a member complaint a rack of Le Cove $5 sold in seconds and none had been listed in years! Maybe that rack should have gone to auction for fairness and to truly establish its value amongst those hunting them for years. But something just bought off the forum... or something that sells regularly you should be able to figure out the value. If it is about fairness like stated above do a drawing for a winner rather than trying to extract max profit! We all have opinions that's mine.

Short novel today! Lol
Ben

The singles I have are left over from two phases of past regular sales. And they are down to a dollar to maybe three each at most. There comes a time when I just get tired of tracking and shipping chips for $1 each. The time and effort isn't even worth a dollar.

God bless JWC... no way would I do what he does with his singles sales. I don’t have the patience for that.

Obviously I have a few things to say about auctions. But I'm not full of shit when I say "do what you want with your chips." If I saw you list a rack of secondary Cleveland Horseshoe $25's in an auction, I'd shake my head, because we all know what those are worth. But it pretty much goes in one ear and out the other. I don't track serial auctioners, or keep a shit list or anything. I just don't care that much.
Lol check the auctions....

i only auction stuff where the fair market value is not obvious - what better way to find out? everything else goes in the classifieds for FMV, and i drop my prices quickly and often until they sell.

Found this thread as the discussion about auctions in the thread I was just reading was a little too toxic...

From the perspective of newer members and people that are not logged on to PCF as frequently, auctions are more beneficial and can seem more fair. First of all we don't have the connections (yet) to enable us to do sales via PM, so we are cut out of the "preferred" method of sale of many sellers. Second the "for sale" ads go to the folks with the quickest draw on dibs who tend to be always logged in... which is not great for everybody all of the time.

Auctions on the other hand allow newer members to see whats being offered, take time to do some research to see if its suitable for their needs and guarantee a chance to purchase...

I get that more experienced PCF folks based on their own experience might not benefit from the auction format as much as others, so the downside of auctions are amplified to them (I agree there are downsides I'm just not listing them here as they are well documented). I also respect the fact that spending time on the site and making connections does naturally allow for deals to be made in private (which is definitely not a bad thing).

I feel like all methods of sale have their place from for sale ads, wanted ads, in private sales AND auctions. I also think that one's perspective is shaped by their experience as well. Overall, I believe it would be a negative for users not to feel comfortable to complete a sale in the format of their choosing.

First of all we don't have the connections (yet) to enable us to do sales via PM, so we are cut out of the "preferred" method of sale of many sellers.
I’ve been here almost 5 years, probably had well over 100 transactions here, and I don’t think I’ve ever had a purely PM transaction. I don’t even know how that would work. I suppose I’d have to have a list of people I regularly PM, and just broadcast a “for sale” listing?
I’m serious, I have no idea how this works. This site is only 6 years old, but there are people here who have contacts that go back maybe a couple decades or more, in this hobby. I haven’t been brought into any of those groups, but I haven’t gone out of my way to try to penetrate them either.
I’m not sure if all the PM sellers guard their side groups and cliques that carefully, or if I’m a jerk they’ve avoided or what. Part of it is probably geographical.
I guess my point is that I have no idea how many transactions actually take place via PM, and I’m not holding my breath that I’ll ever find out. But unless you’re made of money, I can promise you that auctions aren’t a great alternative. And if you ARE made of money, just wave it around - the chips will find you.

Last edited:
I’ve been here almost 5 years, probably had well over 100 transactions here, and I don’t think I’ve ever had a purely PM transaction. I don’t even know how that would work. I suppose I’d have to have a list of people I regularly PM, and just broadcast a “for sale” listing?
I’m serious, I have no idea how this works. This site is only 6 years old, but there are people here who have contacts that go back maybe a couple decades or more, in this hobby. I haven’t been brought into any of those groups, but I haven’t gone out of my way to try to penetrate them either.
I’m not sure if all the PM sellers guard their side groups and cliques that carefully, or if I’m a jerk they’ve avoided or what. Part of it is probably geographical.
I guess my point is that I have no idea how many transactions actually take place via PM, and I’m not holding my breath that I’ll ever find out. But unless you’re made of money, I can promise you that auctions aren’t a great alternative. And if you are made of money, just wave it around - the chips will find you.

I am not in the "in" clubs, but what I have done was track down chips that I am interested in. So, when I wanted to build a WTHC set the first thing I did was to go to the WTHC pron threads and past sale threads and politely PMed people who may own those chips or are actively discussing them. I expressed interest in building a set. Inevitably someone knows someone who didn't even realize they wanted to sell, but is happy to get rid of an extra rack and help someone out. Similarly I just built a TRK Nevada Lodge set this way. I bought some racks of $1s from a regular classified ad and then started reaching out to active TRK and NL owners to see if they knew where loose chips were.

The advantage here to is that with all of these PMs I come across other chips that people are looking to get rid of and chips they are looking for. Then can connect other people who are looking for things with others that have them. I have helped connect people in the past and they asked what I was looking for and sometimes they come back around with a lead for me.

I guess my point is that I have no idea how many transactions actually take place via PM, and I’m not holding my breath that I’ll ever find out. But unless you’re made of money, I can promise you that auctions aren’t a great alternative. And if you are made of money, just wave it around - the chips will find you.
100% agree that the auction might not be the best method to accomplish your chipping dreams if you are trying to do it on a budget. But different strokes, for different folks...

Last edited:
people have a list of those that have interest in their chips. So and so knows that if chips x/y/z are gonna go, they’re messaging bob/Tom/Mike, in that order. I mean obviously I know you know that, but isn’t that what they mean by sale via PM? In addition to sales by text and such.

As the market has changed and shifted, I think auctions have more value. For probably the largest contingent of PCFers, it’s the only way they’ll get that desired rack. Now 9/10 auctions are who gives a f**k, but when it’s something gold, there’s their chance!

I’m not much of a PMer, so chances are I wont organically find the few racks of chips I’m looking for. If there was an auction and I had the 5 or $600 a rack, maybe I win. If not, I should start looking for cheaper and more readily available chips.

E I guess my point is that I have no idea how many transactions actually take place via PM, and I’m not holding my breath that I’ll ever find out. But unless you’re made of money, I can promise you that auctions aren’t a great alternative. And if you are made of money, just wave it around - the chips will find you.
I think you are overthinking the PM sale. It’s pretty simple. If I had chips to sell that are in demand I send a PM to a friend I think wants them, if not I ask if they know anyone who does. It’s not like a clique, just some chippers that know each other and look out for one another. If there are no takers they hit the sales.

Here is a fictional example. not long ago Chippy was searching for a Mapes hundo. I consider him a chipping friend and general good guy. If I had one I’d sell to him before I would ever list, not so complicated.

Auctions don’t give everyone a fair chance at chips. They are just as selective as dibs sales but your speed isn’t the issue, just the size of your wallet I guess

As I finally become someone that’s looking for some chips to fill holes, it does make you wonder where all these chips are.

We’re on PCF and you don’t see em on game or stack posts, you don’t see many mentioned in pRon posts, you don’t see much. I mean I’m familiar with Jeep’s chips, k9 has some awesomeness, etc. But I have no clue where these other 8 million chips are.

Not saying I wish these vaults would open (I prob couldn’t afford much out of them anyways), just wish we had some new prOn and action shots or something.

I am not in the "in" clubs, but what I have done was track down chips that I am interested in. So, when I wanted to build a WTHC set the first thing I did was to go to the WTHC pron threads and past sale threads and politely PMed people who may own those chips or are actively discussing them. I expressed interest in building a set. Inevitably someone knows someone who didn't even realize they wanted to sell, but is happy to get rid of an extra rack and help someone out. Similarly I just built a TRK Nevada Lodge set this way. I bought some racks of $1s from a regular classified ad and then started reaching out to active TRK and NL owners to see if they knew where loose chips were.

The advantage here to is that with all of these PMs I come across other chips that people are looking to get rid of and chips they are looking for. Then can connect other people who are looking for things with others that have them. I have helped connect people in the past and they asked what I was looking for and sometimes they come back around with a lead for me.
For sure building a network and reaching out by using PM would be a good approach... I might have done that already.... Also if anybody is reading this I'm in the market for some C&Js... trying to build an all C&J cash set, wish me luck I'll need it!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom