Apache Poker Cases (1 Viewer)

What to Consider When Purchasing Chip Carriers
There is no perfect case. Everyone’s needs are somewhat unique, and personal taste counts for a lot. If you know your needs and wants though, making a great choice is much easier. I’ll start with a summary of my experiences. Then I will go through the process I went through finding solutions that work great for me.

I’ve tried a 1000 chip rolling aluminum case. It came free with 1000 chips. I wouldn’t trust its cheaply construction. If any case breaks, how catastrophic it is depends on how, when, and where it breaks. A friend had an aluminum case break. The handle broke while he was taking it to his car in the rain. It hit the driveway and popped open. Chips went everywhere. At least they were cheap plastic chips. After that, I didn’t trust the aluminum cases. If all you have to do is store the chips in your poker room, it might be OK, but I’d never pay for one or plan to transport chips despite the wheels.

If the case breaks because a single latch came undone, and it doesn’t cause the case to open, you will be OK but will need to retire that case and be more careful with it until you get your chips home. If your case breaks when you are home and not going to or from the car, that’s better than out in the open, especially at night when most poker games occur. If it breaks while you are at your game, that could be a problem. The better built your chip carrier, the less risk there is for your chips.

Once I had a custom-built wood case. It held 1000 chips in two 500-chip trays and several decks of cards. The lid hinges weren’t as well built as everything else. I still use the bottom part of the box, but for storage, not travel. I’m sure the wood cases out there are better than what I got. The guy who built it knew what it was for, but I think he seriously underestimated the stress on the hinges. Most of its life as a carrying case it had a belt around it to keep it closed.

I’ve used 4x25 plastic chip boxes in a gym bag. The boxes hold quite well, and will survive some falls without chips going everywhere. If they are inside a gym bag that is closed, at least if you drop the bag, the chips will stay in the bag. I use that when I only need to carry 300-500 chips. The bag can hold cards and dealer buttons too, and is easy to carry. I don’t know that I’d try it with more than 600 chips unless I used a much sturdier bag, which you could get. This good inexpensive solution is very workable. It’s easy to transport.
  • Do you need a case for storage, display, or both? This is partially a taste thing. I don’t need or want to display my chips. I don’t have a dedicated poker or game room, but even if I did, I’m just not in to displaying my stuff. My chips are either stored in a closet or in bags on my bookshelves in my home office, both chip storage locations within 15 feet of my main table.
  • How many chips? The smaller the number of chips, the more options you will have. There are plenty of good options for 1,000 chips.
  • How much do your chips weigh? There is a big difference between chip weights even if chips are the same size. The more chips you are carrying, the bigger a consideration the weight of them will be. Remember that 800 15-gram chips weighs as much as 1,500 8-gram chips. Consider both the weight of individual chips and number of chips.
  • Do you need to travel with your case? If traveling…
    • If you are transporting your chips, you will have an uninvited guest going with you. Whether it’s Mr. Murphy (from Murphy’s law fame) or Mayhem from All State, eventually something is going to go wrong. And while you might be in good hands with All State, your chips will not be. So don’t ignore this issue.
    • If you are carrying 800 or more chips, at least consider getting a rolling case, or maybe a dolly where you could carry non-rolling cases. Even if you are strong enough to carry a heavy case with a lot of heavy chips, you aren’t Superman. And injury could make carrying them by hand impossible for you, but a rolling case might still work.
    • Will chips be on a stable surface like the flat space in a trunk, the floorboard, or a truck bed or trailer? If you think 52 pick-up is not a fun game, you really don’t want to try hundreds of chips pick-up. If they spill out on the ground, especially on a rainy night, your case is poorly suited for your needs. Some chips spilled out on the ground in the rain on a concrete surface might actually roll further than you would imagine. Cleaning up muddy chips later isn’t fun.
    • If your case tips over, what is going to happen to your chips?
    • If not braced, what will keep the case from moving around? If the case could move around, your real need is going to be something that will keep the chips safe and in place when the case bumps into things. If you have cases that must be stacked on top of something else, keeping the chips inside safe and in place should be a huge consideration.
    • Once at the playing location, how far do you have to transport them? The further away, the more you will appreciate a rolling case.
    • What kind of surface will you be transporting them over? Rolling cases are best if you are on a surface that lends itself to that. Grass, dirt (mud), sand, and gravel don’t lend themselves to cases that roll.
Most of the time, I’m carrying my chips 10-20 feet to my main table. Then I carry part of the chips (not more than 600) to a table less than 60 feet away.

I used to play at other venues more often where I had to carry chips much further, and I’m prepared for having to park blocks away.
  • What do you need to carry?
    • Chips
      • Boxes with lids -- I prefer boxes with lids. If I tripped over the rug or dog carrying chips to the other table, picking up 6 boxes is a lot easier than picking up hundreds of chips. And if it happened, the chips are still organized the way I need. The boxes are not acrylic and will not break as easy.
      • Racks – Racks seems to be the preference of most on this site in my experience.
      • Racks with lids – I’m not sure how well racks with lids would survive a fall and still keep the chips in place.
    • Cards, and if so, how many decks?
    • Dealer buttons
    • Card protectors (cappers)
    • Timers (and possibly extra batteries
    • Flashlight – If you are transporting your setup back home at night, a small flashlight can come in handy.
    • If you need to carry something like neoprene toppers too, those either come in their own carrying case or you could get a carrying case for them.
I have what I call my “tournament in a box” set ups. One great solution is my Pelican 1510 rolling case with a lid organizer. In addition to chips, it could hold 14 decks of bridge-size cards (fewer poker-sized cards, but plenty for most purposes), dealer buttons, card protectors, 2 kitchen timers, extra batters, a flashlight, and my bankroll – easily! While it’s set up for 1,000 chips, I could get a different foam and cut is to hold at least 1,600 chips, and probably 2,000. I only have experience with Pelican cases. There are other cases out there. My Pelican is over engineered for my needs, but I do like it.

I also have 2 different sizes of shooting range bags that will hold the same things. The variable in the sizes is how many chips I need to carry. The smaller one will hold 800-1,000 chips. The larger 2 will hold up to 1,600 chips. The range bag with 1,600 chips weighs a little less than the Pelican with 1,000 chips, but the range bag doesn’t roll. With the rolling Pelican and a range bag, the range bag could easily sit on top of the Pelican while being rolled and I could, without too much difficulty, carry up to 2,600 chips quite a ways and have one hand free.

I use 4x25 boxes with lids for my chips, so they could survive mishaps without damaging the chips or messing up the organization of them.
  • How much protection do the chips really need? If you have cheap, slugged chips, they could take a lot of abuse without and real damage and you might not really care about trying to protect them. On the other hand, if you spent a large chunk of change on your chips, protecting the individual chips will be a bigger consideration.
What I did, I sat down and thought through everything I could think of before I bought. I thought of what I needed to carry, how far I might have to carry it, and tried to find a solution that involved only one trip from the vehicle to playing location. If you have a set of chips that are never leaving the house and a travel set, your needs for each set might be quite different. Then I purchased a case that to be the solution to my needs. When I first started, I just had chip cases (aluminum brief case types). Some were better than others, but none met my real needs. Fortunately, I never had any real disasters with them, but learned from some who did. I’d go through this process as finding a good solution the first time is cheaper than going through several.

20200314_094358.jpg

do You guys spray both sides of the foam with plasti-dip or or just the top side where it will be making contact?

Also, my set is 92% done. 2 barrels short of 500. The chips in the short rack won’t be an issue on top making contact with the top foam will they?

I picked up the orange 3800 $30 out the door with 25% off coupon. First impressions, great case at this price point. The plastic is sub par compared to pelicans (obviously) but the plastics used on the Apache is still good. Weakest point is probably the hinges but I do not see myself throwing the case around. The orange really pops and I will know where my chippies are at all times. The yellow and tan color also look good in person. 800 chips fit comfortably. I decided to just pluck out foam for just chips. I've seen others make space for card setups and other things but i find the pluck foam to be easily pulled out by accident and did not want any voids over time, also looks cleaner. With advice here I picked up a can of plastidip and coated all the foam pieces. I highly recommend this step, it really helps to lock in the foam pieces and gives the foam a nice uniform black color. The stock foam color is more of a grey. Overall very pleased with this case purchase, I feel confident that my chips will be safe during travels to friends house or just storage.

px5fUeU.jpg

oZhmOi3.jpg

jcJ4wPv.jpg

DJJw1Q2.jpg

Last edited:
do You guys spray both sides of the foam with plasti-dip or or just the top side where it will be making contact?

Also, my set is 92% done. 2 barrels short of 500. The chips in the short rack won’t be an issue on top making contact with the top foam will they?

I sprayed all sides and used almost a can

I don't plan on spraying that toxic crap inside my case that will come in contact with chips that people handle on a regular basis. Hard pass.

Spraying all surfaces will produce results that are less likely to come apart later.

Place empty racks upside-down on the top rows of chip racks. Chips should only be in contact with the acrylic racks, not the foam (treated or otherwise).

Spraying all surfaces will produce results that are less likely to come apart later.

Place empty racks upside-down on the top rows of chip racks. Chips should only be in contact with the acrylic racks, not the foam (treated or otherwise).
Good to know

What happens if they're in contact with the foam? My racks are slightly too tall to put upside down racks on top of 2 levels of chips without really having to cram the lid down. Maybe I should put some sort of thin layer between the top chips and the lid? Maybe cloth?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom