Anyone ever use a different color than black for plastidip? (1 Viewer)

Chipandchair

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
I have used plastidip on the foam in my storage cases but have only used black and only ever seen others use black. I went to buy some and all they had was white so I bought a couple of cans. Anyone use white or any other color on their foam??

I have used plastidip on the foam in my storage cases but have only used black and only ever seen others use black. I went to buy some and all they had was white so I bought a couple of cans. Anyone use white or any other color on their foam??

What would be the purpose?

Reinforcing the pick n pluck foam so it wears better. I also think it looks better. Just really wondering if there are any examples using non-black as that is what everyone seems to use for this purpose.

I didn't realize you were using pluck foam. Makes sense.

So you spray the entire piece of foam? Or do you mask off the cutouts somehow and only do the edges?

My Walmart only had white. Passed on it. I figure you’d have to completely coat it for it to look good so no foam shows thru. Then it might look messy and ugly if not. I’ll search more for black.

My Walmart only had white. Passed on it. I figure you’d have to completely coat it for it to look good so no foam shows thru. Then it might look messy and ugly if not. I’ll search more for black.
I had the same thought. That is why I bought 2 cans. I think white could look cool and make the colors of the chips pop. I probably won’t get to it for a couple weeks but will let you all know and post pics here.

I just got done plucking today, gonna find some black tomorrow. Had to make a slot for those pesky 10 $500 chips . It’s a 510 chip set. 60degrees here in PA for the next 10 days is good spraying weather lol

Attachments

• AF9633E5-8FD8-45F2-92D0-30F445E305A8.jpeg
    AF9633E5-8FD8-45F2-92D0-30F445E305A8.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 140
I had the same thought. That is why I bought 2 cans. I think white could look cool and make the colors of the chips pop. I probably won’t get to it for a couple weeks but will let you all know and post pics here.
Yeah interested to know the result. Maybe I’d do my next case in white if it turns out well. Planning on getting one for a set of royal 43mm when they come back in stock

I'd be concerned that white will show dirt too easily, and highlight any imperfections in the coverage (vs masking both if using black).

Gray probably not a problem with dirt, but imperfections still likely an issue.

I'd be concerned that white will show dirt too easily, and highlight any imperfections in the coverage (vs masking both if using black).

This was my thought as well. White might look nasty after a short time.

Good point. I am going to test spray the bottom and see. It likely will show the nooks and crannies more than black.

I guess just dipping all sides of each of the foam layers is good enough without glue. Being able to remove the first layer could help in getting the racks out from the bottom layer in the long run. Can always glue it later if need be. Thanks for the input.

I glued some pieces together after my kids had a blast ripping apart the plucking foam. Made blocks the same size as racks for when the set is less than what it was cut out for. Spray foamed them after but it will be very rigid so stay away from the edge if possible.

I used black on mine. I wouldn't use any other color though. But if I were to do it again, I wouldn't use it at all. Mine turned out too rough and rigid now. I'd prefer to keep it softer.

So I did a quick test spray. Very light and uneven coat but I am definitely going to spray a case in white in next couple of weeks and will post pics.
AE008DEB-A0D7-4A2A-BB5A-7833B07B30C3.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom