Anybody watching The Queen's Gambit on Netflix? (2 Viewers)

TX_Golf_N_Poker

Straight Flush
Tourney Director
Supporter
Reaction score
NO SPOILERS!

I logged into Netflix today to see if they were playing Rounders. They weren't, but The Queen's Gambit came up as a suggestion. The trailer looked interesting , so I gave it a try.

There are 7 episodes in Season 1. I've watched 3. Not sure if that will be the end, or if they are making more. Anyway, it's about a 9 year old girl who is orphaned, see's the janitor at the orphanage playing chess, and asks him to teach her. Not going to say any more, but there's a lot more going on. It's better than it sounds and it has me reeled in. I'll watch 1 or 2 more tonight and finish it tomorrow after work.

Just wondering if anyone else is or has watched. Figured it might look interesting to poker players.

And FYI, she's only 9 for the first episode. 13 in episode 2 and 17 in episode 3.

I burned through it in a couple days. Good writing, good acting. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Would continue watching if they continue filming.

I played chess as a kid. Obviously nowhere near this level, but I was pretty good for a 10 year old :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: ... watching this had me looking for chess playing apps on my phone to get going again.

Watched it.. it's great.
The chess is legit. The games are based on real games from the past.
There's a Croatian expert / master Antonio Radic (Agadmator) who has a youtube channel. He has identified the games and analyzes
a couple on his channel. Former world champion Garry Kasparov was one of the chess consultants

If you plan to watch the series, skip these until you do

Last edited:
One of my favorite parts about the show is that although the chess is legit, it doesn’t beat you over the head with it - it’s just if you know you know. A worse show would have had an idiot character that Beth would have to explain “and this is a fork” to, etc. There’s really only one moment like that in the show where her Mom asks her what happened, and she responds (paraphrasing) “well you just don’t understand chess”.

Thanks for the recommendation. We will definitely watch it. I have not even heard of the series so am happy to see this thread.

I’ve played chess since since I was a kid, was on our high school chess team, still play casually and online. My kids play too so it will be nice to watch something we can enjoy together.

Update and huge thanks to OP for putting this on our radar.

My wife and I binge watched it Monday and Tuesday nights. It's a great series!!!
She doesn't know chess and thought it was really good. I'm a lifelong player and loved it.
It is also a nicely done period piece for the late 60's / early 70s time when the movie takes place.

The small details are so well done; the discussions; the difference between US vs Intl events; challenges for female players, etc...
The first episode sets the stage for the entire series and main character's bio story, but is actually different than the others.
If the first episode doesn't catch you, I recommend watching at least the second and third.

I hope they deliver a season 2.

Update and huge thanks to OP for putting this on our radar.

My wife and I binge watched it Monday and Tuesday nights. It's a great series!!!
She doesn't know chess and thought it was really good. I'm a lifelong player and loved it.
It is also a nicely done period piece for the late 60's / early 70s time when the movie takes place.

The small details are so well done; the discussions; the difference between US vs Intl events; challenges for female players, etc...
The first episode sets the stage for the entire series and main character's bio story, but is actually different than the others.
If the first episode doesn't catch you, I recommend watching at least the second and third.

I hope they deliver a season 2.
I can't decide if it would work as a continuing series. Not sure what is left to do. Although I do plan to order and read the book, which may give new insights to that possibility.

I'm curious what people think of Anya Taylor-Joy? This series seems to be getting some serious press and high reviews. Are Netflix series eligible for Emmys? If so, and this gets some nominations, I wonder if her career track might take a Jennifer Lawrence or Emma Stone direction? She physically reminds me a bit of those two. Features similar to Emma, but a little more curvey like Jennifer. She certainly OWNED this part. I can't imagine that she doesn't have the acting chops to take on meaty feature film roles.

^^^ Agreed, I think that this was meant to be a short mini series, period. However, the writers can do anything if they think it still has legs! Speaking of legs, I kept thinking to myself that the lead actress reminded me sometimes of a young Natalie Wood.

Watched it all shortly after it came out. Anything #1 on Netflix as long as it has been must be good. Told my wife about it and she binge watched it in a day.

Kasparov consulted on the chess games, so they are 100% legit for the time period.

The series is based on a well thought of book. Never read the book. Don't even know its name, but I'm sure it has gone up on Amazon's best seller list since the miniseries came out.

If there is a season 2, they will have to completely invent it.

I can't decide if it would work as a continuing series. Not sure what is left to do. Although I do plan to order and read the book, which may give new insights to that possibility.

I'm curious what people think of Anya Taylor-Joy? This series seems to be getting some serious press and high reviews. Are Netflix series eligible for Emmys? If so, and this gets some nominations, I wonder if her career track might take a Jennifer Lawrence or Emma Stone direction? She physically reminds me a bit of those two. Features similar to Emma, but a little more curvey like Jennifer. She certainly OWNED this part. I can't imagine that she doesn't have the acting chops to take on meaty feature film roles.
I think she's great. Really liked her in "Morgan" as well.

I almost passed on this show, after finding out it was fiction. I figured since it looked like a true story, it would stink if it wasn’t.
I was wrong...its definitely worth watching
I did the exact same thing lol. Decided to give it as try after my wife said she liked it. Was definitely worth the watch.

*Too bad she died in episode 4 though. Dang.

Absolutely loved Queen's Gambit.. Phenomenal and a near perfect master piece of a mini series. The last episode was pure gold. Going to read the book now. I rank this as one of my top favourite series of all time.

As I watched, I kept imagining how amazing it would be, if they did a similar style writing and imagery to a Poker mini series. It'd be like Rounders at the next level..

Absolutely loved Queen's Gambit.. Phenomenal and a near perfect master piece of a mini series. The last episode was pure gold. Going to read the book now. I rank this as one of my top favourite series of all time.

As I watched, I kept imagining how amazing it would be, if they did a similar style writing and imagery to a Poker mini series. It'd be like Rounders at the next level..
A Rounders version mini series in the style of queens gambit could definitely be epic. It was really well done.

Glad to hear this is good. I’ve been pondering watching it, but I worried the chess would be bogus and drive me nuts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom