Any negative experience with sending an invoice through PayPal? (1 Viewer)

Chipandchair

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
I recently had someone request that I send them an invoice through PayPal so they could use credit. Had anyone ever had any negative experience with this method? It doesn’t seem to have charges me any fees yet. Interested to hear if fees apply or if there are any negatives. Thanks

You don’t need to pay by invoice to use credit. We all use credit frequently. But it does eliminate the possibility of sending unretrievable FF payment to the wrong email. That always scares me.
Thanks so that sounds like a positive. Can you think of any negatives?

Invoices are pretty straight forward. Give you a visual history, option for shipping straight from the invoice with address already available, and were anything to happen a resource to file a claim. Cant think of any negatives

Invoices are pretty straight forward. Give you a visual history, option for shipping straight from the invoice with address already available, and were anything to happen a resource to file a claim. Cant think of any negatives
so if I request payment with a PayPal invoice, shipping requires what? Just the method of transport and the weight? That would be awesome.

so if I request payment with a PayPal invoice, shipping requires what? Just the method of transport and the weight? That would be awesome.
Doesnt require anything as far as I know, you get a person's address, and include the shipping cost in your payment. It may require more specifics now, but last time I used it you just send your payment like normal and it provides a link to ship the item from the invoice and the sellers information is already there. From there it's like normal paypal shipping, pick your shipper, type, weight/size and pay/print label

I may need to try that on future group buys. I’m always worried that I will mess up an address when I type it in. This would take that part out of the equation.

I think that is why spinettis and the chip room use invoices.
I understand that but I am not a business so was curious if people use this who only make like 10-15 transactions per year. It does appear that you have to wait for the funds to process so it is slower.

It also looks like you have to be a “verified”user to accept payment via invoice

Yes the other person must also have a PayPal account for invoices to work. Although when I think about that it doesnt make much sense, since spinettis can send anyone an invoice and accept any for of payment. But I would assume that's because they are a business. On average I probably wouldnt use it unless shipping internationally, or like James mentioned, running a large group buy with alot of orders. The only plus is the shipping feature imo. The rest is about the same for general use. It only really shows benefit when categorizing large numbers of orders

We use invoices all the time. You enter the cost of the item and the shipping cost based on your estimate. It goes to the buyer's paypal account, and they can pay it with a couple of clicks.

After they pay, you get notice that they paid the invoice, and have the option to click "ship." It will offer you several options. Select the one you want and hit "print," and you can print the shipping label. If you're shipping flat rate, it's only a click or two to get the label. If you're sending via first class, you have to enter a weight.

If you or your customer make a mistake on the invoice, you can cancel it at any time. If they've already paid, you can even click the box that says "issue a refund."

Negatives? Customers place the order, you send the invoice and they pay. Then they contact you to change the order -- adding something they forgot or reducing the number of something in the order. Not difficult to change, but it happens sometimes.

Another negative: PayPal fees.

I always ask customers to check the shipping address and the items in the order before paying it, and offer an email to make changes. By paying the invoice, they are confirming that it's all correct.

We use invoices all the time. You enter the cost of the item and the shipping cost based on your estimate. It goes to the buyer's paypal account, and they can pay it with a couple of clicks.

After they pay, you get notice that they paid the invoice, and have the option to click "ship." It will offer you several options. Select the one you want and hit "print," and you can print the shipping label. If you're shipping flat rate, it's only a click or two to get the label. If you're sending via first class, you have to enter a weight.

If you or your customer make a mistake on the invoice, you can cancel it at any time. If they've already paid, you can even click the box that says "issue a refund."

Negatives? Customers place the order, you send the invoice and they pay. Then they contact you to change the order -- adding something they forgot or reducing the number of something in the order. Not difficult to change, but it happens sometimes.

Another negative: PayPal fees.

I always ask customers to check the shipping address and the items in the order before paying it, and offer an email to make changes. By paying the invoice, they are confirming that it's all correct.
Is the fees strictly to business invoices/goods and services? I havent encountered any fees with an invoice before. But again, it's been awhile so that may be something that's changed

I've recently used invoices from a personal account, and it does take fees. Not really sure there would be any way to do it without the fees.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom