Another Hi from Switzerland (3 Viewers)

binoclard

Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi chippers,

My name is Olivier, I am a 44 y.o graphic designer living near Geneva, in the French speaking part of Switzerland.

I discovered poker rather young, as my father played quite a lot (Five-Card Draw!) in bar backrooms and hosted occasionally a game at home. I started playing later myself with a few college friends, first with real 10ct coins, and later we splurged on a huge Dice chips case that we painstakingly had to import!

I played quite a lot back then, it was early 2000, I had moved to the big city to study, the NLHE wave was submerging Europe, the tournament scene was burgeoning all over, and home cash games were everywhere. I have great memories of smoke filled appartements with a bunch of students playing from dusk till dawn. Most played with Dice, but one of these tables had an absolutely gorgeous set of chips, best I had ever seen, real chips, a Paulson set! I still remember the pink and green of the 25$ (that was used as 25 ct… as we played 1:10).

Being a graphic design student, I of course toyed with the idea of designing custom ceramics, mockup after mockup, but being a poor student, I never pulled the trigger.

Life happened, and long story short, I played less and less live, online a lot for a time, then less, then no more… I have enjoyed the occasional game with old friends, and still do, but almost stopped playing for the last decade…

I felt the itch again a couple month ago. Don't really know why, or how I ended up here. All I know is I have always have this fascination for great chips, despite never buying any. The colours, the spots, the mystique around the game… My goal now is clearly to create my own custom CPC cash set. I have already dozen of mockups. I browse endlessly the HoF and Chip DB to refine my tastes, knowing it will be a long journey. Brace yourself for the inevitable bunch of posts discussing the merits of various quite similar but totally different chips!

Thanks for all the info you all put out there as a community, it is really precious. I have lurked here for a long time, I am glad to start participating.

And if another Swiss chipper has an open seat at his (small stakes) table in the region, I would love to try and overcome my shyness, meet new people, and start playing again, ideally with beautiful chips!

Thanks for the welcome you all :)

Welcome to PCF! Looking forward to seeing some inlay designs

Ahah, not quite there yet, I am still focusing on the colours and spots for now. Damn it is hard: one day your idea seems the best you have ever seen, and the next the progression looks bland and boring and the colours you loved have already lost their appeal. Only to be great again a few days later… :LOL: :laugh:

Hi chippers,

My name is Olivier, I am a 44 y.o graphic designer living near Geneva, in the French speaking part of Switzerland.

I discovered poker rather young, as my father played quite a lot (Five-Card Draw!) in bar backrooms and hosted occasionally a game at home. I started playing later myself with a few college friends, first with real 10ct coins, and later we splurged on a huge Dice chips case that we painstakingly had to import!

I played quite a lot back then, it was early 2000, I had moved to the big city to study, the NLHE wave was submerging Europe, the tournament scene was burgeoning all over, and home cash games were everywhere. I have great memories of smoke filled appartements with a bunch of students playing from dusk till dawn. Most played with Dice, but one of these tables had an absolutely gorgeous set of chips, best I had ever seen, real chips, a Paulson set! I still remember the pink and green of the 25$ (that was used as 25 ct… as we played 1:10).

Being a graphic design student, I of course toyed with the idea of designing custom ceramics, mockup after mockup, but being a poor student, I never pulled the trigger.

Life happened, and long story short, I played less and less live, online a lot for a time, then less, then no more… I have enjoyed the occasional game with old friends, and still do, but almost stopped playing for the last decade…

I felt the itch again a couple month ago. Don't really know why, or how I ended up here. All I know is I have always have this fascination for great chips, despite never buying any. The colours, the spots, the mystique around the game… My goal now is clearly to create my own custom CPC cash set. I have already dozen of mockups. I browse endlessly the HoF and Chip DB to refine my tastes, knowing it will be a long journey. Brace yourself for the inevitable bunch of posts discussing the merits of various quite similar but totally different chips!

Thanks for all the info you all put out there as a community, it is really precious. I have lurked here for a long time, I am glad to start participating.

And if another Swiss chipper has an open seat at his (small stakes) table in the region, I would love to try and overcome my shyness, meet new people, and start playing again, ideally with beautiful chips!
looking forward to seeing your designs! a friend of mine is an artist living in Zurich, and similarly has an obsession with poker chips/poker itself.

Thanks for the welcome you all :)

Ahah, not quite there yet, I am still focusing on the colours and spots for now. Damn it is hard: one day your idea seems the best you have ever seen, and the next the progression looks bland and boring and the colours you loved have already lost their appeal. Only to be great again a few days later… :LOL: :laugh:
Having been through it, I can tell you the struggle is real… lol

Hello from Lausanne! I'm in your neck of the woods!

You've definitely found the right place for custom poker chips. Tons of different existing sets for inspiration and given your profession, you'll probably make an absolutely gorgeous set.

Be sure to post the final photos once they're made and in your hands! Anything less is sacrilege of the highest degree.

Thanks!

I have had your event in the back of my mind for weeks, looks fantastic. But life is a bit hectic this year, and I am not sure I could block the date yet… And as I have not played in any "serious" tournament for 15 years, I have the itch, and the fear at the same time. :wtf:

Thanks!

I have had your event in the back of my mind for weeks, looks fantastic. But life is a bit hectic this year, and I am not sure I could block the date yet… And as I have not played in any "serious" tournament for 15 years, I have the itch, and the fear at the same time. :wtf:
For the date, not not wait too long because we have to close the list in few days before the event for organization (dealers, tables, etc ...).
And do not worry it will be a soft tournament. All sharks are elsewhere on the planet or in Bratislava.

And we have added some solo packages too (and corrected the bad prices at the launch because of computer error).

For example pack 2 players all inclusive is 960 CHF.
It means : 480 CHF per person with Main Event 230 CHF included => So the stay by itself is 250 CHF for 2 days all inclusive per person.
A real bargain value for what you get.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom