AJo in the SB, 1/2 cash (1 Viewer)

bentax1978

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Several hours into a 1/2 home game. Stacks aren't too big, in part because (IMO) the max buy-in is way too low ($120). Players range from decent to not-so-great, but overall it's a soft game.

7 handed, about 4 hours into the session. BB has the table covered with about $450 (on original $120 buy-in). SB has $140 (but is in for $660).

UTG straddles for $4 (announced as his one and only straddle for the night after being coerced into doing it). Three callers, SB completes. SB raises to $24 with :ad: :jc:. BB raises to $60. Fold around to SB who calls the $60.

$136 in the pot.

Flop is :qs: :tc: :3s:

SB checks. BB bets $80 (which puts SB all-in).

What should SB do?

Several hours into a 1/2 home game. Stacks aren't too big, in part because (IMO) the max buy-in is way too low ($120). Players range from decent to not-so-great, but overall it's a soft game.

7 handed, about 4 hours into the session. BB has the table covered with about $450 (on original $120 buy-in). SB has $140 (but is in for $660).

UTG straddles for $4 (announced as his one and only straddle for the night after being coerced into doing it). Three callers, SB completes. SB raises to $24 with :ad: :jc:. BB raises to $60. Fold around to SB who calls the $60.

$136 in the pot.

What should SB do?

That's a pretty loose preflop call. I hate playing easily dominated hands oop. As played you have to call 80 to win 216 (37%). If you think villain could do this with top 20% of his range you have 40% equity and could call. I think that's being optimistic and would prob fold here and pre.

That's a pretty loose preflop call. I hate playing easily dominated hands oop. As played you have to call 80 to win 216 (37%). If you think villain could do this with top 20% of his range you have 40% equity and could call. I think that's being optimistic and would prob fold here and pre.

I 100% agree with you. Give the SB's stack size, I wouldn't have called the raise preflop, out of position, with AJo.

But given that he did, I'm curious what people would do in his position at this point in the hand.

So sb isn't you?

Nope. I'm just curious what people would do in his position at this point in the hand given what has already transpired.

As I said above, I completely agree with you that the call preflop was very loose given the position and stack sizes (and likelihood that he was dominated).

Nope. I'm just curious what people would do in his position at this point in the hand given what has already transpired.

As I said above, I completely agree with you that the call preflop was very loose given the position and stack sizes (and likelihood that he was dominated).

Ah good...for your bankroll haha!

I hate this call. If SB thought he was good enough to call then he should've just shipped it to avoid any more decision-making.

$136 in the pot.

What should SB do?

So as I mentioned in a previous post, I was not SB in this hand; I was actually BB in this hand.

I think most of us would agree that the SB's call of my raise to $60 preflop was loose. I'm not crazy about his raise to $24 OOP with AJo either, but given the straddle followed by a bunch of limper and only the BB left to act, I can see it.

But given that he did make the call preflop, I am curious how many people in his position would have (1) pushed on the flop acting first, (2) check/called or (3) check/folded.

Your math is off. If he has to call $80 to win $216, he is 2.7/1 odds. He only has to win 27% of the time. I would probably call here, but not like it too much. Also, I agree with everyone else...fold pre. If I had AJ in this spot I'm jamming and hoping bb makes a bad fold, since I'm already committed.

So as I mentioned in a previous post, I was not SB in this hand; I was actually BB in this hand.

I think most of us would agree that the SB's call of my raise to $60 preflop was loose. I'm not crazy about his raise to $24 OOP with AJo either, but given the straddle followed by a bunch of limper and only the BB left to act, I can see it.

But given that he did make the call preflop, I am curious how many people in his position would have (1) pushed on the flop acting first, (2) check/called or (3) check/folded.

agreed that AJo is a complete from the SB a huge percentage of the time. table dynamic has to be truly unique for me to want to raise there. way too often you'll end up with a multiway pot and you have basically no control of the hand postflop OOP.

as played, flop is a check fold obv.

If I had AJ in this spot I'm jamming and hoping bb makes a bad fold, since I'm already committed.
as played, flop is a check fold obv.

If I were in his position, I think I would be between these two options, with check-calling a distant third. If I was planning on check-calling, there's no reason not to push first and take whatever small amount of fold-equity there might be (albeit not much given the stacks).

So the conclusion to the hand (unfortunately) went as follows:

SB checks the flop, BB turns over :td: :th: for middle set. Turn is a :ks: SB hits his gutshot. River is a blank, BB doesn't fill up and the pot goes to the SB.

I was the BB, and after biting my tongue when SB announced several times that he hit his straight (as if I am incapable of reading the board), I was tempted to point out how shitty he played the hand. But I quickly realized (for a multitude of reasons) that was a bad idea. For one, it's poker and bad calls and sucks out happen. Two, that's exactly the kind of play that makes poker profitable for myself and others. And three, he's the host and I didn't want to be a dick. That said, in my head first thought was that it was a terrible call. But then after thinking about it for the next orbit or so, I decided that the preflop call was actually the worst part and that perhaps his post flop all-in call wasn't really that bad of a call. Had I not hit my set, he could have potentially had two overs and a gut shot, which would have made the call a good one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom