Advice: Raising Stakes & it Becoming 'About the Money'? (1 Viewer)

That's not the case for everyone. A lot of people would have less funs at lower stakes than what they consider their "regular" stakes, and may not even show up. I like this Harry Truman quote on the topic:
"Poker among friends and colleagues should not drive anyone to the poorhouse but should be expensive enough to test skill and make it interesting."
Good quote. We've always said something similar - that the biggest loser should be able to shrug it off but the biggest winner should be excited.

Low stakes don’t suit my personal style of play. Calling all in for $20-100 isn’t the same as calling off $1000. The stack size and action are more important than the blinds though.
It's all relative. For some that 1K is months of disposable income. For others, it's just a nice night out.

We just had our second biggest cash out last weekend in the .50/$1 game, $2020.

Your crew plays a little bigger than us. $1/$1 game (our usual is. 50/.50) we had a record cash out last time of $1400.
This is strongest argument for keeping blinds the same. If players feel 25¢/50¢ is too low, it will be a little more apparent in bet sizing. if 6BB used to be the standard raise, and now 10BB is the standard raise, you might need to bump up the stakes. However it is not uncommon, especially in friendly games, for players that would play bigger to bet smaller, because that's how the room plays. With 2 tables, being given the option of higher or lower stakes is a win-win.

Your crew plays a little bigger than us. $1/$1 game (our usual is. 50/.50) we had a record cash out last time of $1400.
We have some fearless guys who will play for a $1k+ pot going all in JT vs 97 on T97 flop. The lowest one on this board will be bumped out of the top 5 now but it had held #1 for over a year before being bumped down.

8DD39785-67BE-40BA-81AC-7ADB5F9CF614.jpeg

We have some fearless guys who will play for a $1k+ pot going all in JT vs 97 on T97 flop. The lowest one on this board will be bumped out of the top 5 now but it had held #1 for over a year before being bumped down.

View attachment 1108652
Yeah our top pots are a little lower too. I can remember a couple around 800or 900. Don't think we've had one crack 1k.

View attachment 1108652

So Ken & Joey - was it a "last-hand-of-the-night-bigger-than-it-really-should-be" pots or did you cut-n-run after winning a monster?

So Ken & Joey - was it a "last-hand-of-the-night-bigger-than-it-really-should-be" pots or did you cut-n-run after winning a monster?

Joey's was literally the last hand of the night he got all in with me on the flop my AA lost to his K6 on a king high flop he spiked a 6 on the river. Kens pot actually was smaller than that I need to change it, but that was also last 5 minutes of the night.

I struggle with this because I have friends that want to play .25/.50 and friends who play $1/2. Seems to me I need two separate game nights to keep everyone happy. Just starting out I have no idea which is going to be more popular.

I struggle with this because I have friends that want to play .25/.50 and friends who play $1/2. Seems to me I need two separate game nights to keep everyone happy. Just starting out I have no idea which is going to be more popular.
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE, we're all stocked up here!

Seriously, play PLO or PLHE .25/.5 and watch as they blow their mind.

Months in advance now.. Table one has moved to .5/1 (which has NOT changed the avg pot size btw). Table two get's to do whatever they wish. Sometimes it's .25/.50 sometimes it's also .5/1. Either way the games play about the same.

Months in advance now.. Table one has moved to .5/1 (which has NOT changed the avg pot size btw). Table two get's to do whatever they wish. Sometimes it's .25/.50 sometimes it's also .5/1. Either way the games play about the same.
Have you changed the buy in for the .50/1 table?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom