Adjusting to a wild home game (1 Viewer)

I narrowed my pre-flop raising range to premiums (JJ+/AQs+/AK) and limped a very wide range of speculative hands: all pairs up to TT, most suited connectors and larger suited one-gappers, all Ax/Kx and many Qx suited, any two broadway suited or not. I was very fit or fold post-flop in multi-way pots (which are the large majority of them).

That said, it was intentionally a bit extreme, and I probably won't continue to play this passively. But it was a good way to show myself that there are a lot of spots where I can maximize value and minimize losses by taking more passive lines. I was able to see a lot more flops last night for a lot less money, and that gave me the opportunity to hit more often and extract value when I did.

What's great about a limp-heavy strategy is you get the benefit of showing down some outright gawdy weak-looking starting hands. Even to opponents that are otherwise loose, they will turn their heads when they see 64s suited, forgetting you were the sixth limper on the button.

A funny side-observation. Most players that are loose are not self-aware of it, but glad to observe (or if they are rude, even complain/criticize about) it in others. There are some real life implications to this as well.

But back on topic. Yes, be the 6th limper on the button with 64s, you are also protecting that by limping with AJ and TT. Heck sometimes I limp KK in this spot planning to spring into action on any flop without and Ace. And if an ace comes, I'll just quietly muck it.

Yes there are edges preflop and in some games those should be exploited. But sometimes it's okay to pass on these edges if it affords you the opportunity to benefit from even bigger edges post flop. Getting good post flop is what separate very good from good players, imo. Hold'em works that way. Most people understand pre flop strategy. And it's absolutely true that good preflop strategy is better than bad preflop strategy. But then they think that's all they need to know and they don't consider the last 3 streets. The best players know how to approach it all.

Last night I tried an experiment based on some of the discussion in this thread. In a nutshell, I massively dialed down the pre-flop aggression and played much more passively than I normally do on early streets. I played as if I had zero fold equity pre- or post-flop in most hands, so I tried to get to most flops cheaply and only continue with made hands or nutted draws.

I narrowed my pre-flop raising range to premiums (JJ+/AQs+/AK) and limped a very wide range of speculative hands: all pairs up to TT, most suited connectors and larger suited one-gappers, all Ax/Kx and many Qx suited, any two broadway suited or not. I was very fit or fold post-flop in multi-way pots (which are the large majority of them). I would usually take a call-down line with most top pair type hands vs. aggression, and I saved the post-flop aggression for bigger hands.

I almost never bluffed. I would take occasional stabs at pots when they looked like they'd been abandoned, but not often. A couple players in this game have also adjusted to the hyper-aggression by do what I was doing - going into check-call mode with hands like TPWK - so stabbing at pots that these players are in can be dangerous.

Results-wise, it worked. I was in for $60 and out for $290:

NRml7v5wcaRtwRqkRd6z4GMkkODRZlGvPvAHTzc0gmrH8GqeyZwY5dVKDSj6S5reAd6r9nrpvGkBkD53EMtqe7O7melSXf6oG6sumHUN-PVotSiG5mN1BL6omBwG5dTDH7gYCJFAU3W0ekGJOrOh1qLST58TYLFYgVJ3KZxRS5bI6gsvRSN5HhF3pIPGfh6bxYmVgSn1ya1u2xk6zYZyG0SN-z43wFHBqgQXmk3JRjJdJ7-Yzxh-4IDEEYxUEFdNo1EoFHm8B_Qmmuh2y_KYUTmlr_GuEPh4x8Jvj9RBUjLmDcT5Kwd04Wz6tJYGfD-fp-6nAxNEGtlg_ye54EqKmcn1c6y4mnRiRgm28Iuuz0i8ogMiczbTp26aTWUAOnIGV3IWvVNuSeQGRHHGfgkaSOcFoDwpOA_6u3c8w-m4FxImNMYOcq-4EFO8VsCVEuyUHHtlY6b-V2NRibjchxeyV4PQ-0l8_sna1FdSW1suYIxWI--ZFw5uaI5N9IWA3kHKILWfX4PgLl9ZNjF6nsG77PtSb9PEp9rbWXR4LYs6FDG1nkiv42euZ1X6RyKx3D0Njaw2BOVV5RELk7gcg1FkBV7SnxH_bYTc97awP-1FgtedG8judtf5wjET5o5cu70YPRIK-bJIEz9FEdil3y87VvCwfLkNDDyfU1qbYKXO65LdWnzfXL7hH2LiXqUYDhgKOMIX8xwB9dQpwwte09S7xztDnD-djr89O4VBAkcxvFfyAoiSVYoa-ghvIQDjBjShCIew3j_IViOO1CSk8WBaRs60Sx5uJmAN9fMNQeEO_JXp0NvSdTjs4rlH0CJdMCMf8iRe89ecDN_bLAENQjk5-qwFG1lzz8-X4tuGqZSTqWqNVhMgOfwQNgQUL6Dw4pzeoAYXk0qGfRpe43xXyPXerjzal-2VOvp8ZTFgs4zsu99vH2-hdD3QRebzgAMIf90mtgueYi267Q1OWmIxEpCVobUtEzO4vvgDDxa_QXMOfURiZaXc44GDt4znQ1VisnxiViKhebdpDv8wBJxmXAkPLhKCUfPU=w1250-h937-no

That said, it was intentionally a bit extreme, and I probably won't continue to play this passively. But it was a good way to show myself that there are a lot of spots where I can maximize value and minimize losses by taking more passive lines. I was able to see a lot more flops last night for a lot less money, and that gave me the opportunity to hit more often and extract value when I did.
Lovin the real-time updates from the wild!

One more update:

I played the same game again, and walked away +220bb. I've got my confidence back in this game, and I'm happy with my adjustments.

Two things about last night:

1) Bomb pots (one per orbit) are high variance but crazy +++EV. We usually play double board Holdem, and some players will stack off with one pair on one side, most players will stack off with pair+ on both. You'll lose 4bb a lot folding on the flop, but catch a decent two way hand and you'll drag a big one. Last night I turned a straight on one board, pair+OESD on the other. Got there on the river and scooped a 600bb pot.

2) I was feeling frisky and tried to bluff a sticky player, and it didn't end well. Turned what should have been a +400bb night into half that. I briefly forgot who I was playing against. It was one of those bluffs that would have worked in most other games, but was just torching money in this one.

It's very tough to exercise any pot control in this game, which is one of the difficulties I've had.
You have to remember that you will still win out if you make correct actions.

I speak from experience as most of my friends are actually very bad poker players and play in a style designed to give me all their money, but when nearly ALL the players at the table play that way, yes, it's harder to avoid the luck factor.

I used to lose against them a lot but eventually adjusted and just started playing the percentages and stopped trying to ace them, because you can seldom bluff bad players and since they are all on big swings because most of the other players are the same, the results are varied. They wouldn't know anything about equity or pot odds, so they chase every draw and call every bet because they don't know better.

Basically, just don't try to do too much. Don't be too aggressive, let them do most of the work for you, play percentages and get paid off on your big hands. Eventually they will have to adjust or you will continue to take their money. It of course also helps if you have their tendencies down to a science; players like this tend to be super easy to read and the only way they won't be is by playing recklessly, which you will eventually punish them for.

IMO, these are the perfect types of games to sit back and enjoy. Play quality hands and avoid risk. Build table respect while making money. Once u have good respect pull off some bluffs for $.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom