Actually good Christmas, Vol. 2: Movies (1 Viewer)

jbutler

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Everyone needs to some movies to throw on during those lazy holiday days, but man there is a lot of awful junk. So what are the good ones we should be watching? I was ridiculously old before I ever saw It's a Wonderful Life, so I definitely don't assume that there's nothing new under the sun for me to find out about.

In the spirit of the season I won't make any harshly judgmental remarks about how your chosen movies aren't "really" Christmas movies. I'll just let it slide...even if you pick Die Hard which is obviously not an actual Christmas movies no matter how many dumb articles people want to write about how it is.

Here are my favorites along with any info I have about where they might be streamed if your family is so inclined:

- It's a Wonderful Life

Not only the best Christmas movie, but honestly one of the best movies period of all time. Jimmy Stewart is the man and Donna Reed is absolutely smoking.
(streaming free on Vimeo here)​

- National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

We watched this as a family every year when I was a kid, but even without that nostalgia I'd still have to put it in second place here. I could quote it all day and I hate quoting movies.
(sadly not streaming anywhere, but available for rent on youtube, itunes, and amazon for $2.99)​

- Scrooged

Not only funny, but actually tugs at the hearstrings a bit. But really all you need to know is it's Bill Murray near the top of his game.
(streaming on Netflix with subscription; $2.99 rental on youtube, itunes, amazon)​

- Home Alone

Still hilarious after all these years and kids still love it, so it's a family pleaser.
(streaming free on HBO Go with subscription; $2.99 rental on youtube, itunes, amazon)​

- Jingle All the Way

Hear me out. Yes it looked retarded. It is. But if you go with it, it's actually pretty great. At the very least, if you need to please a bunch of kids, this one is certainly one of the more tolerable options.
(not streaming anyway; $2.99 rental on youtube, itunes, amazon)​

- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (old stop motion version)

A true classic. I have no idea whether this could actually entertain someone who didn't grow up with it or who isn't accustomed to stop motion animation, but for me this is up there in terms of nostalgia.
(streaming free on youtube here; $1.99 purchase on itunes)​

In no particular order, these are the movies that are in the rotation starting on the day after Thanksgiving:

Love Actually
Christmas Vacation
Christmas Story
Santa Clause
The Grinch - animated version, not the Jim Carey pile of manure
Charlie Brown Christmas
Die Hard
White Christmas
Home Alone
It's a Wonderful Life
Mickey's Christmas Carol

Nightmare Before Christmas. We watch it every year on Xmas eve. I love the mash-up of mythologies and the dark humor. And the animation is great - old skool stop motion. I read that it took something crazy like a week to film 2 seconds' footage in one scene. Proper old-worlde skills.

Batman Returns! ;)

Bad Santa is one I enjoyed a lot. Lots of imitators these days though.

Elf is one I have a soft spot for, too.

Also down with the ^ above suggestions

Reindeer Games...haha j/k

Christmas Vacation
Elf
Polar Express
The Family Man

There are a lot of good Christmas movies, but your list correctly began, and should have ended with the greatest of all time.
It's a Wonderful Life.
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends."

Many of my favorites mentioned except for

Friday After Next

29th Street.

Finally watched this a while back on @PAZ's recommendation and can confirm very good movie! Can get a bit cheesy, but that's why it's a good Christmas movie - the season kind of inoculates you to cheesiness.

Family Man is one of my favorites as well.

Last edited:
20161224_071158.jpg
Christmas Story is my absolute favorite. I have a leg lamp in my front window I will post a picture tonight. I saw the musical in New York 4 years ago and it was wonderful.

Last edited:
Three Wishes for Cinderella

I dont know why, but the Czechoslovak 1973 film of cinderella dubbed to norwegian by one male voice actor for all the characters is very popular and shown every year on christmas morning in one of the main TV channels over here. Dont know if it qualifies in this thread really, but its just a fun fact about a wierd norwegian christmas tradition.

Maybe this is a thing otherwhere as well, but i dont know!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom