AA... Interesting Spot, WWYD? (1 Viewer)

If my memory serves me right, you walked away from the circus table Friday at the S@P2 as a big winner... ;) But you're right, Ben doesn't know the meaning of the words fold, call or raise in PL games... Only POT or RE-POT...

Here is a quick video presentation of Ben's betting if he were a cowboy whose boot had just been glued to the gas peddle

No. When the action comes to you, the pot is $29. When figuring out what your pot-sized raise is, you use an 'effective pot" which includes the amount you would be obligated to call to stay in the hand. That "effective pot" is $37, so you can put a total of $47 out in front of you (the $2 you already have in the pot, plus the $8 you'd have to call, plus the "effective pot").

OK, makes sense now. Glad this isn't Omaha.

However, from my standpoint (playing NLHE), when I'm talking about a pot sized bet, I'm calculating my odds (what I'm paying to play vs possible rewards). In this instance (assuming just a call), I'm risking $8 more dollars to win a possible $29 that's already in play (or 3.5 to 1). Obviously a raise was the right play here.

A pot sized raise in my mind is putting as much out there as there already is on the table. This is purely for bet sizing, and not the technical Omaha "pot". I've heard some say I could have done a tad more, say $35-45, so I might have bet a bit too low? Glad it worked out. I wonder if I'd bet $45, if MP would've gone all-in (I'm guessing no). And would that have caused CO to change his action? OK, that might be overanalyzing things a bit. :)

Otherwise, this has been interesting, and I've definitely learned a few things in this thread.

Never folding. Even my brother Nitty McNiterson wouldn't fold here. Seriously, I don't know you, and you seem like a nice guy, but if you fold here maybe you should consider quitting poker.
True. I would never fold AA here. I'd probably have raised higher pre (around $40) but never ever ever folding AA here.

OK, makes sense now. Glad this isn't Omaha.

However, from my standpoint (playing NLHE), when I'm talking about a pot sized bet, I'm calculating my odds (what I'm paying to play vs possible rewards). In this instance (assuming just a call), I'm risking $8 more dollars to win a possible $29 that's already in play (or 3.5 to 1). Obviously a raise was the right play here.

A pot sized raise in my mind is putting as much out there as there already is on the table. This is purely for bet sizing, and not the technical Omaha "pot". I've heard some say I could have done a tad more, say $35-45, so I might have bet a bit too low? Glad it worked out. I wonder if I'd bet $45, if MP would've gone all-in (I'm guessing no). And would that have caused CO to change his action? OK, that might be overanalyzing things a bit. :)

Otherwise, this has been interesting, and I've definitely learned a few things in this thread.

Keep in mind the odds you are laying your opponent with a pot sized bet. If you raise to 30, with 27 in the pot, as you did, your opponent only has to call 20 to win 57. If you opt to 47, your opponent needs to call 37 and is getting 2:1 on his money. A pot sized raise always should be laying 2:1 odds for your opponent.

Action is on hero. One would think this is an easy call, but I'm curious if there is a case to be made for folding here?

Here's how I approached this:

1) People wonder why they get internet bullied?
2) If you fold you are a bigger nit then, well, anyone. Forever. And ever.
3) I highlighted your post in Tapatalk and the only selections we're Copy, Cut, and Paste. I didn't see a selection for "Is OP Actually Fucking Serious?"
4) I would only consider a fold here under 4 very specific circumstances.

#1 - I am 90% or higher certain that I'm suffering from a full blown heart attack.

#2 - I am playing way over my head against Andy Beal and I'm up huge for the session (at least 250K) and I've been both drugged and awake for more than 48 consecutive hours.

#3 - I'm currently being stabbed, repeatedly, during the hand. Note - this assumes I'm being stabbed in the vicinity of vital organs. If it's like the leg of whatever, we can worry about that later and jam now.

#4 - Chicken did it once. Makes a helluva story.

Last edited:
Here's how I approached this:

1) People wonder why they get internet bullied?
2) If you fold you are a bigger nit then, well, anyone. Forever. And ever.
3) I highlighted your post in Tapatalk and the only selections we're Copy, Cut, and Paste. I didn't see a selection for "Is OP Actually Fucking Serious?"
4) I would only consider a fold here under 4 very specific circumstances.

#1 - I am 90% or higher certain that I'm suffering from a full blown heart attack.

#2 - I am playing way over my head against Andy Beal and I'm up huge for the session (at least 250K) and I've been both drugged and awake for more than 48 consecutive hours.

#3 - I'm currently being stabbed, repeatedly, during the hand. Note - this assumes I'm being stabbed in the vicinity of vital organs. If it's like the leg of whatever, we can worry about that later and jam now.

#4 - Chicken did it once. Makes a helluva story.

Our hero actually called so fast, he did so simultaneously with the button's fold.. Didn't really give the button a chance to call/fold. ;)

After the hand, I overheard a couple guys talking about people folding aces in certain spots. Just wondering people's thoughts on that applied to this hand. Hero was never folding, even if the button jammed, putting hero's entire stack at risk.

I am pretty sure that as soon as the CO called All-In, I was pumping my fists wildly in the air!!!!

I would've raised more, then folded. Early position. The pros know AA ain't bullet proof, and I'm a nit.

Our hero actually called so fast, he did so simultaneously with the button's fold.. Didn't really give the button a chance to call/fold. ;)

After the hand, I overheard a couple guys talking about people folding aces in certain spots. Just wondering people's thoughts on that applied to this hand. Hero was never folding, even if the button jammed, putting hero's entire stack at risk.
Then why ask what to do in a strat thread? Put it in the (not so) humble brag thread.

...and here come the haters, lol.

Well, my point in that message was to indicate that I was not folding, which was never in question. I never ever (in this strat thread) asked if I should fold AA. I said this "was an easy call", but asked if anyone could make a case for folding? I indicated I heard people talking about folding aces, (which I thought was absurd), so I was curious if people's thoughts on this were like mine. Sounds like, yes. Not sure why people are making a capital issue out of this?

My main question in this strat thread dealt with the only real decision I made, which was the bet sizing. It sounds like I should have bet a tad more. I got some great feedback about the sizing of the "pot" in PLO, and learned that I have a lot to learn about PLO.

Not sure getting lucky is all that much to brag about. Sure, it worked out for me this time, I scooped a nice pot, yes... However, for me I'm working towards making the right decisions, despite the outcome. Had I lost the hand, I was still getting it in good (bad beat, sure, but still the right decision). And despite the win, sounds like I could have made a better decision regarding my initial bet.

For those that provided constructive feedback, thank you.

/thread

ps. For the record, all fist-pumping the "all-ins" was done internally. I like to win (and lose) with dignity.

I'm not a hater by any means, but when you ask a ridiculous question expect a ridiculous answer.

I'm absolutely a hater of anyone that asks "Can an argument be made for folding Aces pre?" and they're asking about a cash game. I also think it's LOL that OP starts a silly NLHE thread to get PLO advice, but whatever.

Reactions: xt!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom