2015 WSOP! (3 Viewers)

Though it ended too soon, and the last one was a hand I could have gotten away from (I was this close, should've channeled Phil Hellmuth) I believe I played fairly well.

I missed some value here and there, but overall I made the right folds and raises. I was complimented by the whole table when I didn't put my last 125 chips in, in a desperation call knowing I was behind and hoping to catch something on the river. Playing against Greg was also a lot of fun.

I had a blast. Definitely the best poker playing experience of my life :). One I will definitely want to repeat next year.

Hehey :) My photo is on WSOP.com...

18974523718_7cc808c0e6_z.jpg

Right there, in the corner, that's my left hand :).

BOOO!

Who the fock plays in a dealer's choice WSOP event and calls NLHE? That guy needs to be taunted mercilessly on Twitter.

In general I agree with this sentiment, but I might be tempted to call NLH if I were very short stacked and looking to double up. You're more likely to get yourself in a heads-up situation, and you have a good chance to getting it in as a bigger favorite in NLH than in any Stud, Omaha or Draw game.

No poker the past couple of days. I've been to Spinetti's, and picked up a couple of 43mm chipracks and 20 naked ladies Paulson chips.

DSCF1931.JPG

and gotten a tattoo (my first one). This last bit requires some explaining...

Last year a buddy of mine got the idea to go to the San Diego Comic-Con. Not for a moment considering we'd not be able to get tickets we booked the entire (awesome) trip. We had a layover in Washington DC and visited Arlington Cemetery, the Lincoln and Washington monuments, and walked past the White House.

Then had a couple of days in NYC, visited the 9/11 memorial, Central Park, Empire State, and went to a comedy club. Had an absolute blast.

Then flew to SF, stayed in Chinatown, visited City Hall, Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf, the Golden Gate, Muir Woods, and saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes in the theater (which was awesome since we had unwittingly visited all the setpieces just before :)).

Then rented a convertible, visited Stinson (looking for Catherine Tramell's house, but couldn't get there as it's in a gated community), drove down Route 1 to Monterey Bay Aquarium, Big Sur, down to LA. Wanted to stay in the Tiki Motel in Huntington, but that had closed a few months prior, so headed straight down to San Diego that night, where we would stay about 5 days.

Unfortunately we hadn't gotten into Comic-Con, but that didn't stop us from enjoying the atmosphere, and what an atmosphere. Just walking around near the Convention Center and the Gaslamp Quarter was an absolute joy. When we walked past a tattoo parlor I vowed that I'd get ink done if we ever got into Comic-Con. We also visited San Diego Zoo.

We finished the trip with a week's stay in the Bellagio. My buddy doesn't gamble, but I had the time of my life at the tables. Didn't walk away with profit, but I play to play and enjoy myself. Also had a great trip to the Grand Canyon, visited a Burlesque show in the Flamingo, and Cirque du Soleil's 'O'.

Well, this year we entered the draw again, and after about 15 minutes got the message that Saturday had been sold out, followed quickly by Friday being sold out. My buddy had said that he wasn't gonna go if he couldn't get in Saturday or Friday (because, let's face it, we have to fly across the Atlantic and the US to get to San Diego. Then Thursday sold out, and I'd resigned that we weren't going to get in this year either. Then the screen changed to the ticket purchase page for Sunday. I called my buddy to see if he really didn't wanna go, and he quickly changed his mind.

So here I am, having made the promise to get a tat and now having to make good on that promise. I'd been wanting to get a wolf done on my right shoulder with some beaded feathers, but as I was researching tattoo studios I started to gravitate more towards a simple design and decided to put it on my left. So I walked into Black Spade Tattoo near Fremont Street, and got this:

My first tattoo.jpg

It's called an ensou (円相), and is a Zen circle drawn with a brush. It's still healing, so there's a little bit of redness there.

No poker the past couple of days. I've been to Spinetti's, and picked up a couple of 43mm chipracks and 20 naked ladies Paulson chips.

View attachment 13377

and gotten a tattoo (my first one). This last bit requires some explaining...

Last year a buddy of mine got the idea to go to the San Diego Comic-Con. Not for a moment considering we'd not be able to get tickets we booked the entire (awesome) trip. We had a layover in Washington DC and visited Arlington Cemetery, the Lincoln and Washington monuments, and walked past the White House.

Then had a couple of days in NYC, visited the 9/11 memorial, Central Park, Empire State, and went to a comedy club. Had an absolute blast.

Then flew to SF, stayed in Chinatown, visited City Hall, Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf, the Golden Gate, Muir Woods, and saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes in the theater (which was awesome since we had unwittingly visited all the setpieces just before :)).

Then rented a convertible, visited Stinson (looking for Catherine Tramell's house, but couldn't get there as it's in a gated community), drove down Route 1 to Monterey Bay Aquarium, Big Sur, down to LA. Wanted to stay in the Tiki Motel in Huntington, but that had closed a few months prior, so headed straight down to San Diego that night, where we would stay about 5 days.

Unfortunately we hadn't gotten into Comic-Con, but that didn't stop us from enjoying the atmosphere, and what an atmosphere. Just walking around near the Convention Center and the Gaslamp Quarter was an absolute joy. When we walked past a tattoo parlor I vowed that I'd get ink done if we ever got into Comic-Con. We also visited San Diego Zoo.

We finished the trip with a week's stay in the Bellagio. My buddy doesn't gamble, but I had the time of my life at the tables. Didn't walk away with profit, but I play to play and enjoy myself. Also had a great trip to the Grand Canyon, visited a Burlesque show in the Flamingo, and Cirque du Soleil's 'O'.

Well, this year we entered the draw again, and after about 15 minutes got the message that Saturday had been sold out, followed quickly by Friday being sold out. My buddy had said that he wasn't gonna go if he couldn't get in Saturday or Friday (because, let's face it, we have to fly across the Atlantic and the US to get to San Diego. Then Thursday sold out, and I'd resigned that we weren't going to get in this year either. Then the screen changed to the ticket purchase page for Sunday. I called my buddy to see if he really didn't wanna go, and he quickly changed his mind.

So here I am, having made the promise to get a tat and now having to make good on that promise. I'd been wanting to get a wolf done on my right shoulder with some beaded feathers, but as I was researching tattoo studios I started to gravitate more towards a simple design and decided to put it on my left. So I walked into Black Spade Tattoo near Fremont Street, and got this:

View attachment 13378

It's called an ensou (円相), and is a Zen circle drawn with a brush. It's still healing, so there's a little bit of redness there.

It looks like a good start to a custom chip. Have them add a denom in the middle with a "chopsticks" font, and Something like "Ensou Poker Club" ;)

Bloody,

What days are you going to be actually IN San Diego? And where will you be staying?

I might be able to help you out.

Mike

Bloody,

What days are you going to be actually IN San Diego? And where will you be staying?

I might be able to help you out.

Mike

I'll be there on July 10-11-12 and be staying in the Best Western Golden Triangle Inn.on Clairemont Mesa Boulevard.

My friend will be there a day earlier and we'll probably meet up at Lou and Mickey's across from the Convention Center.

I'll be there on July 10-11-12 and be staying in the Best Western Golden Triangle Inn.on Clairemont Mesa Boulevard.

My friend will be there a day earlier and we'll probably meet up at Lou and Mickey's across from the Convention Center.
Send me an email.

I'll be there from the 8th till the 13th. Staying at the Hilton Gaslamp. Where is Lou and Mickey's?

Mike

Anyone still at the WSOP? They changed the cards out due to security issues.....just curious what decks they changed to......or if they just replaced the decks with "new" decks with the same issues

Modiano is not looking good with this......
I think I was there too early to really see the issues, but the cards are easily marked with fingernails and strong bending. Apparently certain people are able to determine the strength of their hand just by looking at the backs of the cards.

nitzilla

I was not a fan of the Modianos. I struggled to tell the difference between spades and clubs, requiring me to put on my readers, which was not a good thing. If they were also marked easily, then allegations about cheating really seem likely.

Here's a 2+2 thread on the card issue: Linky

And the cheating is already an issue apparently
I liked the Bicycle cards personally.....too bad they (WSOP) couldn't get the higher quality Modianos that everyone seems to love.....had to go cheap I guess.

I liked the Bicycle cards personally.....too bad they (WSOP) couldn't get the higher quality Modianos that everyone seems to love.....had to go cheap I guess.

If Modiano is using a different plastic for these, then they made a major misstep. As for the club/spade issue, well, Modiano's have always had "that look", and I find it hard to believe that the pro's have never played with Modiano's (or Da Vinci's, or Dal Negro's) in the past. For example, the Premier League used Dal Negro's which use a similar PIP as Modiano.

I don't recall hearing about issues with those games. If the club/spade issue is such a problem, why wasn't it a problem then?

Next year, get Desjgn to supply the cards (Classic Victorians). That'll fix them.

I see that Negreanu is wearing readers in the clip, so that just reinforces the idea that the clubs and spades are too similar. That said, I hate 4-color decks. I would be fine with so many different cards. Of course I have a preference when shuffling, but when the cards are dealt to me, I only need them to be undamaged, easy to read, and easy to bend to peak (which falls into the easy to read category). If I have a preference, I would ask for jumbo index. If Jack Effel is stalking these posts, I would 2nd the Desjgn card option.

I see that Negreanu is wearing readers in the clip, so that just reinforces the idea that the clubs and spades are too similar.

I just assumed he chose to wear glasses instead of contacts that day. It just seems odd to raise it as an issue now...if the club/spade design were really a problem, the players in the clips above had opportunities to complain about it earlier in other tournaments / settings, and they didn't, at least not publicly.

Absolutely worst day of poker yet.

Played at 2/4 LHE in Palace Station, was absolutely card dead for 3.5 hours. Nothing but low cards or high/low, and when I got two face cards I hit zero on the board. I folded nearly every hand, and none of those hit either except one 8-2 which would've hit trip deuces. Dropped $280.

Went to play at Circus Circus, but no poker room there. Put down $100 on 3-card poker. Drew a couple of pairs, flushes, and straights, and one Straight Flush. Finished $150 in the plus.

Went to the Wynn and played 1-3 NLHE. Crazy action at the table. Again, caught pretty much nothing until I got to check the BB with Ad6d. Flop comes A76 rainbow. I bet, get raised, I call. Turn Q. I bet, get raised all-in, call, guy turns over AQ. Lost $200.

I rebuy for $150. Get 99 after a few hands on the button. It's limped to me, I raise, get called in 3 places. Board comes 257. I bet, only the same player with the AQ calls. Turn 6. I bet, and get raised all-in. I snap call. He turns over 4-8 for the straight. Lost the $150.

How can these idiots get that lucky? Or how can I get so unlucky? So far (not counting the WSOP) I'm about $2000 in the hole.

Poker sucks.

Played at 2/4 LHE in Palace Station, was absolutely card dead for 3.5 hours. Nothing but low cards or high/low, and when I got two face cards I hit zero on the board. I folded nearly every hand, and none of those hit either except one 8-2 which would've hit trip deuces. Dropped $280.

Went to play at Circus Circus, but no poker room there. Put down $100 on 3-card poker. Drew a couple of pairs, flushes, and straights, and one Straight Flush. Finished $150 in the plus.

Went to the Wynn and played 1-3 NLHE. Crazy action at the table. Again, caught pretty much nothing until I got to check the BB with Ad6d. Flop comes A76 rainbow. I bet, get raised, I call. Turn Q. I bet, get raised all-in, call, guy turns over AQ. Lost $200.

I rebuy for $150. Get 99 after a few hands on the button. It's limped to me, I raise, get called in 3 places. Board comes 257. I bet, only the same player with the AQ calls. Turn 6. I bet, and get raised all-in. I snap call. He turns over 4-8 for the straight. Lost the $150.

How can these idiots get that lucky? Or how can I get so unlucky? So far (not counting the WSOP) I'm about $2000 in the hole.

Poker sucks.

That's brutal Marvelous... I hope the cards smile large for you soon man...

Wow! Been away for too long!

Sorry about the poor cards! Hope things improve soon!
Looks like things might work out for you to get together with Mike in SAN! Great guy!
Looking forward to a good turnaround story soon!

I'll say yes to Desjgn as well! Great cards!

I didn't mind the Modianos and thought they looked good! Had no idea about the recent issues... need to catch up on the story!

I'm a contacts/ readers kind of guy (age forced unfortunately) but I tend to wear my glasses when I play so I don't constantly pull out my readers... It also guarantees that I'll always see the cards clearly.

Poker sucks.

/standard............ :rolleyes:

I never go near 2/4 LHE for the exact reason that I can lose 2-3 buy-ins in less than an hour, vs 1/2 or 1/3 NL where I can play for 6+ hours and be up...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom