2015 WSOP! (1 Viewer)

A buddy of mine, Mark Kroon, is alive and sitting in 27th place heading into the today's play. Guaranteed around $100K, but he's shooting for a Nov 9 spot for sure!

Run good Mark!!!!

people, you absolutely have to start following stealthmunk on twitter (link) and make sure to watch the replies (salsberg in particular has been killing it). munk is currently sitting at 25th of 69 remaining.

a couple highlights and salsberg's best reply:

pmlqDeY.png

the guy is a degen of the highest order and insane, so there is a lot to search through if you want to google for his backstory.

cliffs:

won the sunday million when he was a minor and had a bunch of his winning taken by his mom. eventually got arrested for something and was put in mandatory gamblers anonymous as part of plea deal. now lives alone grinding foxwoods tourneys and some cash.

this thread on 2+2 concerns his being DQed from a $1k final table at foxwoods last year (pic below) and if you read through a good portion of it you'll get a ton of his backstory (and some pretty good photoshop action as well).

cZx7sTo.jpg

should have also mentioned munk has a $100k PLO HU freezeout booked with negreanu under the following terms:

q3bZjYw.png

so basically, if munk can get to 22% body fat in a year, this is a free roll. awesome. the extra language re: choice center, yoga, is in reference to a previous proposal in which negreanu was going to require that munk do this whole course of things. now he's just reduced it to the simple prop of 22% body fat.

keep in mind, munk tweeted this like a week ago:

mBS2Vhv.png

featured table today had negreanu and munk together at the table. should be some great tv. #munknation

My guy has been up and down, but still hanging in there (currently 30th out of 50 remaining)... Guaranteed $140k now, with people dropping like flies and big money jumps! Woot!

PH has been railing for him, ever since he was knocked out in 400th-ish place.

Kinda cool that the poker community in our area has a closed "update" group on FB, with direct reports on his progress from people on the rail. Much faster updates than WSOP is reporting. Everyone here is getting excited for Mark... I think I'm wearing down my "refresh" button, lol...

Here's Mark in play yesterday, and him consulting with PH on break.

Mark.jpg

Phill and Mark.jpg

Last edited:
:( Mark busted out. Hell of a run tho.

Silver lining... I'm hosting a game this Friday, and Kroon picked the date (so it wouldn't conflict with the WSOP). I had figured if he made the November 9, he'd stay in Vegas to celebrate (and leak out), lol... At least I won't have to find a replacement for his seat, lol.. Can't wait to hear all the stories in person.

Silver lining two, my F5 key might survive (was sure I was gonna wear it out like I was waiting for a ChipRoom sale posting)..

Kroon is out in 43rd place

Congrats to your buddy!!! Excellent run!!!

Let's hope his excellent run doesn't continue into Friday night. :)

Let's see... Hyper lag cash player who plays ATC, that JUST won $165K, should get interesting, lol...

:( Mark busted out. Hell of a run tho.

Silver lining... I'm hosting a game this Friday, and Kroon picked the date (so it wouldn't conflict with the WSOP). I had figured if he made the November 9, he'd stay in Vegas to celebrate (and leak out), lol... At least I won't have to find a replacement for his seat, lol.. Can't wait to hear all the stories in person.

Silver lining two, my F5 key might survive (was sure I was gonna wear it out like I was waiting for a ChipRoom sale posting)..

Kroon is out in 43rd place

If I am reading that right, Kelly Minkin had about 7.5 mil in chips before calling the Kroon's 810k all in. Def a call, the %'s had to be close to a coin flip pre-flop.
I just want to know if she is hot? :D

If I am reading that right, Kelly Minkin had about 7.5 mil in chips before calling the Kroon's 810k all in. Def a call, the %'s had to be close to a coin flip pre-flop.
I just want to know if she is hot? :D

I don't fault either players actions. Def a call by Kelly, and with so few chips left, two connected broadway cards seem shippable to me?

As to Kelly...

Judge for yourself...

RS52676_Kelly_Minkin.JPG

Ha! That's my type. :) Brown eyes, brown hair and doesn't look high maintenance. ;)

Ha! That's my type. :) Brown eyes, brown hair and doesn't look high maintenance. ;)

Looks even better if you consider she's been playing degen poker for 6 straight days (high stress, low sleep, no makeup, etc...).

Plus you can send her off to vegas for a week and she comes back 150K+ richer. That's gotta be worth something....

"But did you bring me back any chip samples, dear?"

Sorry guys, my man Federico has just eliminated her in 29th I believe. Trips over trips.

They go on to day 7 of the main with 27 left. And he is one of them. So sick :)

Sorry guys, my man Federico has just eliminated her in 29th I believe. Trips over trips.

104vs10Q on a 1010x board.

I don't fault either players actions. Def a call by Kelly, and with so few chips left, two connected broadway cards seem shippable to me?

As to Kelly...

Judge for yourself...

RS52676_Kelly_Minkin.JPG
I was talking with her on the rail, Sunday evening. She mentioned how amazed she was to make this deep run but was still pretty cool headed about it. I asked her if she had 100% of herself and she said no, then agreed she had over 50%. Yellow hat guy,(PH's buddy) kept making childish innuendos to her at the table. Outta line IMO but she handled it like a pro. Didn't frazzle her a bit. Shame she's eliminated.

Last edited:

Congrats to your friend for making the November 9! I was pulling for him (and Negreanu of course).

Its an incredible story.
About a month ago we were playing next to each other in a 200€ tournament. Then he decides to head to Vegas where the big boys are playing. Places 20th in his first ever WSOP event ($1,500 Monster stack) for $45k, then goes on to ship a $235 Rio daily for $30k and mincashes another $1,500. Then he decides that this is the time to make a dream come true and play the Main Event as he probably will only play that once in his life. The rest is history... and it will for sure not be his last Main Event :)
I couldnt be happier for anybody else (even tho he declined my offer to buy some action :D)
Just well deserved!

I hosted last night, and my buddy Mark Kroon (yellow hat guy) came over to play. I know he plays aggressive, and talks trash at the table... Sometimes it is a bit raunchy, yes... but in my home last night, he was VERY respectful and polite. There was still trash talking, but it was friendly natured and was appreciated by all. I had a good mix of players (from skilled neighborhood guys, to people in Mark Kroon's league). The big winner for the night is a local guy who hasn't played a lot of poker, but plays really well for a self described "rookie". I watched Kroon help him along during the game, and offer meaningful encouragement at (and away from) the felt. This local guy "Brian" approached me after we were wrapping up, and explained how awesome the experience was, to have a person obviously better than he was at poker (that just made $165k at the WSOP a few days ago), to mentor him like that. Brian said he was really looking to up his game now, and follow some of the advice Mark provided. Kroon was a decent ambassador for poker with my local group of guys, and Brian wasn't the only one to come away excited to play more. :)

Mark Kroon (yellow hat), "Brian" far left.

Kroon 2 7-17-15.jpg

Kroon is not a fashion expert (apparently).

Kroon 7-17-15.jpg

Brian's stack only grew, and grew... :) In fact, this was the largest game I've hosted for sure, and ranks as one of the largest games I've played. My Benny's set ran over it's $3k bank, and I had to use a rack of my yellow double horse-head 1970's hotstamped 25's to add-on. Yikes.

Poker 7-17-15.jpg

That's cool. Did he says what his conversations with Hellmuth was about?

That's cool. Did he says what his conversations with Hellmuth was about?

He and PH are good friends. PH learned to play poker as a kid playing in Kroon's Madison bar. Apparently as soon as PH busted, he came to rail for Mark, so they talked quite a bit about strategy, and trying to calm Mark (settle his nerves, etc...).

He and PH are good friends. PH learned to play poker as a kid playing in Kroon's Madison bar. Apparently as soon as PH busted, he came to rail for Mark, so they talked quite a bit about strategy, and trying to calm Mark (settle his nerves, etc...).

Oh! That's cool.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom