Tourney 11 Player Conundrum (1 Viewer)

Squeeze Them Into a 96" Table or Use Two Tables?

• Single Table Squeeze Play

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Dual Table Play

Votes: 43 84.3%

• Total voters

johnnycnote

Flush
Reaction score
Curios about how everyone handles a home game where 11 players show up instead of the expected 14 to 18

I'm potentially facing this situation tomorrow. One table will get to play NLHE, the other Dealer's Choice.

My large table is extra large, suitable for 11 players. It is a social game, we play eleven handed in most cases.

However, if there is interest in running two different games at the same time then split the gang up. Six people playing holdem and five playing circus sounds like a fun night.

11 is the worst.

Tournament: squeeze them in.
Cash: two shorthanded tables. I did this recently. One was PLHE, the other was circus games with all games having split pots. It was a blast!

We just changed our league rule to as follows. Not a perfect solution but I’ll join the chorus saying 11 players sucks.

*Rule Change*

With 11 players we will start out with one six handed table, and one five handed table. After two levels a randomly selected player will move from the six handed table to the five handed table in their same seating position relative to the blinds. If in the small blind they will sit out at the new table until the blinds pass.

Ours are tournaments. A few times we've had 21 and only 2 tables. We'd play 11/10, but no more. Last time I told #21 he'd have to wait until someone got KO'd. 11 never really worked well. It's cumbersome and slow moving. Even with an 8 ft table, it's a little cramped somewhere. I could tolerate cramping, but the rest of it, just no. I did it because I felt like I had to, but once I went away from it, I realized that was a better solution.

We will now have 2 tables with only 10, and take 10 at a table only if we have 19 or 20 and we are only setting up 2 tables. For me, setting up the third table is more complicated since it involves completey rearranging a room, and then putting it back. So most of the time, I don't plan on a third table.

I'd never do 11 at a table. Too crowded. I feel like you're stretching the deck at that point.

Conundrum no more, only 10 players showed. But I had two tables ready to go with 5 and 6

No squeeze, no matter what. I absolutely hate 10 handed anything. 9 player tables please.
I agree, and I take it one step further. In tournaments I have 8 players per table, even the final table (I'm not compliant with TDA rules that say the final table should be +1). Cash games I squeeze 9, though.

We just changed our league rule to as follows. Not a perfect solution but I’ll join the chorus saying 11 players sucks.

*Rule Change*

With 11 players we will start out with one six handed table, and one five handed table. After two levels a randomly selected player will move from the six handed table to the five handed table in their same seating position relative to the blinds. If in the small blind they will sit out at the new table until the blinds pass.
I like this approach. :tup:

I agree, and I take it one step further. In tournaments I have 8 players per table, even the final table (I'm not compliant with TDA rules that say the final table should be +1). Cash games I squeeze 9, though.

10 handed tables were eliminated from the TDA rules during the TDA summit this summer.

A proposed change to do away with 10-handed final tables in nine-handed events passed into the rules, with the caveat that some rooms would need to look out for their bottom lines and combine at 10 if they needed the table open. The main reasoning behind the change is so the final two tables are balanced at five and five.
TDA RP-9: Number of Players at Final Table
9 and 8-handed events will combine from two tables of five players each to a 9-handed final table. 7 and 6-handed events will combine from two tables of four players each to a 7-handed final table.​

Now imagine it was self-dealt....

94685A94-6A6A-4FB2-8CBA-2EBE4D355147.jpeg

Last edited:
10 handed tables were eliminated from the TDA rules during the TDA summit this summer.
The main reasoning behind the change is so the final two tables are balanced at five and five.
This makes a lot of sense, IMO.

9 and 8-handed events will combine from two tables of five players each to a 9-handed final table.
Like I said:
I'm not compliant with TDA rules
giphy (4).gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom