1/2/5 PLO hand big decision preflop (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Hero has had a swingy session but has generally been more willing to gamble it up this session, pushing tinier edges and willing to get it in preflop. Hero is in the game for 2K and has been above and below that.

Currently he's sitting on around 2k, give or take. Aggro in the game has straddled to $10 preflop and Hero limps MP with:

:as::qh::ts::8d:

A bunch of other limpers until it gets to aggro who pots to $90. One caller, Hero calls, then LP limper shoves for his $450 stack (this player called Hero in a previous hand chasing an 8-high flush and doesn't have much of a clue, he's gotten his stack in preflop with 6-high rundowns). Aggro repots all-in for $950. Aggro has been very aggressive trying to push players around, bluffing liberally and his stack has been up and down frequently throughout the day, although he's rebought multiple times.

Pot size is approx. $1,650

It's an additional $860 for Hero to call and close the betting as there is no one behind him left to act and the other two players are all-in. Hero ?

I gave the opponents KJ97 rainbow and 6655 rainbow and we are still at best 33% or so to win the hand. If I start giving the opponents pairs and suited cards, we are around 25%. Find a better spot and fold.

Don't forget that if we do go with this hand and the short stack wins, we still have a side pot that will break us relatively even against the aggro player, should we beat him.

So the main pot is $1150 with $360 for Hero to call, along with another $500 to call for the sidepot with $500 in it. In the main pot Hero breaks even at 24% equity, sidepot at 50%. I think calling is better EV, but probably not by much.

If AA is out in one of villian's had hero is really only looking to flop K-J, J-9, or spades.

(Tbh, the limp shove really feels like AAxx)

I like this hand for a limp or calling a single raise, but I don't think enough flops are out there to justify this price.

I can't find where Hero says the aggro is a weak spot or capable. It might matter.

I find a fold. Often Hero is basically flipping. Occasionally Hero is in a hard spot. Occasionally hero is ahead.

If hero is near his loss limit for the session, then it is a snap fold to me.

Patience. The hand is nice, just not quite enough -=- DrStrange

I can't find where Hero says the aggro is a weak spot or capable. It might matter.

I find a fold. Often Hero is basically flipping. Occasionally Hero is in a hard spot. Occasionally hero is ahead.

If hero is near his loss limit for the session, then it is a snap fold to me.

Patience. The hand is nice, just not quite enough -=- DrStrange

Aggro is usually a loser and tilter in the game who tries too hard to bully and bluff other players

Heros loss limit for a session is 3k. In this hand Hero is essentially even on the session, having lost his first 1k buyin (got it in with nut flush on the flop against top set) and spun his next 1k buyin back up

Currently he's sitting on around 2k, give or take. Aggro in the game has straddled to $10 preflop and Hero limps MP with:

:as::qh::ts::8d:

A bunch of other limpers until it gets to aggro who pots to $90. One caller, Hero calls, then LP limper shoves for his $450 stack (this player called Hero in a previous hand chasing an 8-high flush and doesn't have much of a clue, he's gotten his stack in preflop with 6-high rundowns). Aggro repots all-in for $950. Aggro has been very aggressive trying to push players around, bluffing liberally and his stack has been up and down frequently throughout the day, although he's rebought multiple times.

Pot size is approx. $1,650

It's an additional $860 for Hero to call and close the betting as there is no one behind him left to act and the other two players are all-in. Hero decides he is done folding and makes the call

Heros reasoning was:

1. Hero holds an Ace, reducing the liklihood he is crushed by someone with AAxx

2. The aggro player straddled originally and generally tries to apply pressure after people call, he gambles a ton and bluffs liberally, there's a lot of dead money in the pot and it's a good play by both the original shover and him to try to get it headsup with dead money in the pot

3. Hero figures he should be getting the right equity in this spot provided he's not up against AAxx and also wanted to send a message that Hero doesn't need to have AAxx, KKxx or double suited broadway to gamble in these spots all the time, Hero was willing to roll the dice and embrace variance

Board ran out 99643 and the aggro player held:

:ad::ah::jd::4d: and had Hero in a world of hurt. Other player did not reveal his hand

I guess I would like to see someone with a calculator or this, but I think the gaps in hero's hand make it closer to average than premium. It's a fine hand limp or call a single raise with, bit I think I would rather have something like AJT9, or AT98, or even KQT9 that can hit more boards to play an all in pot.

But that's just an impression, someone with a calculator might prove me wrong.

I guess I would like to see someone with a calculator or this, but I think the gaps in hero's hand make it closer to average than premium. It's a fine hand limp or call a single raise with, bit I think I would rather have something like AJT9, or AT98, or even KQT9 that can hit more boards to play an all in pot.

Screenshot_20200107-081136_Poker Bankroll Tracker.jpg

I agree it's not premium, I just believed I had more equity than I actually did because aggro was so active and had straddled this hand, and I had the aces blocker I didn't give him credit for the hand he held

Switch out the 8 in my hand for a K, J or pairing the Q or T and my hand becomes much stronger

I agree it's not premium, I just believed I had more equity than I actually did because aggro was so active and had straddled this hand, and I had the aces blocker I didn't give him credit for the hand he held

Switch out the 8 in my hand for a K, J or pairing the Q or T and my hand becomes much stronger
Doesn't look to get much stronger.
Screenshot_20200107-084208_Poker Bankroll Tracker.jpg
Screenshot_20200107-084304_Poker Bankroll Tracker.jpg
Screenshot_20200107-084248_Poker Bankroll Tracker.jpg
Screenshot_20200107-084228_Poker Bankroll Tracker.jpg
Screenshot_20200107-084208_Poker Bankroll Tracker.jpg

Not against AAxx, just in general as far as the hand being considered premium vs marginal

If I suspect my opponent for AAxx there I'm never making the play I did

His unrelenting aggression and the fact he is the straddle allowed him to get paid in that spot. It's very rare I get into situations like this because I just fish hunt and get guys putting it in with 8 high flushes

But this session I had enough of this guys aggression and was looking to punish him and win a big pot, and that completely backfired

Our HERO enters stage left..........another words Elvis just left the buliding.....as frustrating as it is you have mediocrate hand...FOLD

This is a good example of exploitative play leading to actions that deviate from sound strategy, leading to outcomes consistent with suboptimal strategies.
True. There are some merits for call. Hero hand is medium strong against two players... But the call may discourage Aggro from aggressive moves like that. Questions! What will he do if he loses. How many buy ins he is prepared to invest into game. How good you know this player? Poker is a game with more than one correct answer. I would propobly fold but there are some players that I would call against not basing my decision on the strength of my hand.

Even straddlers wake up with a hand on occasion.
That's so sweet. I was on struddle and woke up with AA against very aggressive player with QQ. And we were very deep. He 4 bet shove....

This is a good example of exploitative play leading to actions that deviate from sound strategy, leading to outcomes consistent with suboptimal strategies.

This very much so. Herohad already determined he was ending his session shortly and decided to swing for the fences and gambool it up

Fun fact, this is my first losing session in the Monday game ever!

Lesson learned

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom