1/2/5 Big O (hi only) at MGM National (1 Viewer)

bergs

Royal Flush
Reaction score
1/2 5 card PLO (hi only) with mandatory $5 bring in. I have Ah-4s-5c-7h-8c and I call a $25 raise from a very tilted spewy SB that was called by BB, UTG, and CO. We're 6 handed, effective stacks are $75 (BB) and everyone covers my $920.

Flop ($125) is 3s-6s-7c. I flop the nut straight and top pair with a 8 high backdoor flush draw.

BB bets $75 all in (pot $200). UTG (very competent player sitting on $3K+) pots to $425. CO (reasonably competent reg with $950) calls.

Action is back to me. What to do?

Second nut low that is no good. Nut straight which might be getting quartered with a couple middling redraws (higher straight, backdoor 8 high club draw) and backdoor quad sevens draw. But then you're playing at MGM where they may not actually have it always.

Sounds weird but normally this might be a fold... never folding it at MGM though unless I have history with the specific players involved.

Ah never mind. In this case you almost certainly are currently chopping, and probably fading the board pairing and the flush coming. Also possibly a bigger straight if one of the villains has 89Tx or something similar. 50% of a three way (+$75 pot) doesn't sound like such great equity when you have to fade so much of the deck. I'd personally just fold and wait for a better spot. I know it seems crazy to fold the nuts, but in this case probably the right play.

Nobody is folding if you ship it, but they might if you wait to ship it on the turn if the turn is a dud like 2d. If we just call, and the turn is nasty, like the 8s, we can fold to pressure and get out with a few hundred saved. I can see it either way. Folding against these two competents I can also see for the reasons Chippy brings up. Somebody would have called the clock on me if I was sitting and thinking about this one.

Gonna be a quick thread.

- I did tank
- I did get clock apologetically called on me
- First time ever I folded the nuts

Spewy BB had garbage but backed into bottom set.
UTG had As-Ts-8x-9x-Xx
CO had 5466x

DANGER DANGER!!

Turn Jc. Kicking myself.
River Ks. Rich gets richer. How apropos in our nation's failing capital?

I posted this because it was my last hand and I really (mentally) needed a winning session. I would like to think I fold if stuck, but right now Guinness is laughing reading that.

I really wanted to see if this is one of those insane spots where you fold the nuts on the flop, and my decision was a reasonable one or just a donkey move fueled by a need for a session outcome.

This is definetly a fold on the flop. I would argue it is even a fold preflop. The only thing the hand has going for it is the suited A.

As you can see, even when you flop the nuts there are too many draws you needed to fade. Very few safe cards on the turn.

Good job of seeing the hand for what it is, a trap!!

Mighty fine fold when you basically have to have the turn and river come non-pairing non-spades that don't make a higher possible straight in order for your hand to remain the nuts. That's a pretty narrow set of cards for you to hit. The nut straight without a redraw, especially in Big O, is not meant to play for stacks on the flop. You got out with minimal losses, pat yourself on the back!

Just curious, after you fold, was there any betting on the Turn and River between BB and CO?

Mark

I doubt that he knows... probably left the table to go vomit.

I've never seen bergs do anything with the nutz but shove.

Good fold. The nut draws are extremely powerful in this game, and you don't have them. Preflop is ok in position, but without flopping a nut flush draw and some other stuff, its a weak hand.

Straight draws and straights drop a lot in value in this game compared to PLO.

Thread title says Big O but OP says PLO.

High only Chippy. I think about this hand way differently high/Lo.

I guess it's neither. Maybe 5 Card PLO. Either way fold pre > calling effective stack's 1/3 stack size bet pf.

Flop is a good fold considering action. That's why you don't play straightening cards unless your gap is near the bottom.

Thread title says Big O but OP says PLO.

I guess it's neither. Maybe 5 Card PLO. Either way fold pre > calling effective stack's 1/3 stack size bet pf.

Flop is a good fold considering action. That's why you don't play straightening cards unless your gap is near the bottom.

It's 5 card PLO high. Big O (hi/Lo) had broke a couple orbits before.

Just curious, after you fold, was there any betting on the Turn and River between BB and CO?

Mark

Actually they checked it down quickly. I racked up immediately after this hand. I had announced it was my last one but decided to stay for another orbit when I folded. Then I saw the check down at a 6 handed table between the 2 big stacks and thought "fuck this, let's get a Reuben"

I have Ah-4s-5c-7h-8c
Flop ($125) is 3s-6s-7c. I flop the nut straight and top pair with a 8 high backdoor flush draw.
everyone covers my $920.
If those were the exact cards and suits (I can never remember exactly in hands I play) -- I think I'm reading this correctly -- you actually did have a redraw to a higher straight if the 4d 4h or 4c hit. Regardless, I think it's a good fold -- when three-way or 4-way action goes in with deep stacks behind, it's fine to fold the nutz in Omaha or BigO.

If only you had a backdoor nut-flush redraw to go along with the three fours redraw. :sneaky:

If those were the exact cards and suits (I can never remember exactly in hands I play) -- I think I'm reading this correctly -- you actually did have a redraw to a higher straight if the 4d 4h or 4c hit. Regardless, I think it's a good fold -- when three-way or 4-way action goes in with deep stacks behind, it's fine to fold the nutz in Omaha or BigO.

If only you had a backdoor nut-flush redraw to go along with the three fours redraw. :sneaky:

I did have a redraw to a higher straight with a 4 or a 5. I thought about this for a bit while tanking and it almost sealed the deal for me until I realized that a 5 brought 89 home.

I think this is a much harder play with 4 card PLO. 5 card PLO brings in the danglers and all sorts of weird hands draw out on you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom