4. WWF No Mercy
5. NFL Blitz
6. Wayne Gretzky’s 3D Hockey
7. Mario Party 3
8. Super Smash Brothers
9. GoldenEye 007
10. Mario Tennis

The N64 library was pretty top heavy.

Super Mario is on a lot of these lists, and deservedly so, but I really think banjo Kazooie was the better game.

Its been a long time since I've played either, so I could well be remembering wrongly, but damn was it awesome.

Anyone know if this guy is running for office? This may be my favorite quote of all time! Lmao.. I'm not sure a more true statement has ever been made!

Back in my teens if you went to a party that didn't have a big screen, golden eye or Mario cart already warmed up and just waiting on that opening screen. Pizza or pizza bites (perfectly acceptable substitute to pizza hut!) warming up infusing the house with that amazing cheap pizza smell and at least a cheap 30 pack of warm Milwaukees best still in the box at room temperature hiding behind the couch that someone stole from their dad. You simply turned around and walked out!!

Man do I miss those days, that lasted for years with them same game!! And man if the owner didn't have the unlocked paintball feature already... damn it man! Now we gotta run through and get that shit unlocked before we play split screen!!

Hey asshole! Are you looking at my screen??? Hell no stop camping in the same spot!! Hahahaha

Last edited:
Anyone know if this guy is running for office? This may be my favorite quote of all time! Lmao.. I'm not sure a more true statement has ever been made!

Beck in my teens if you went to a party that didn't have a big screen, golden eye or Mario cart already warmed up and just waiting on that opening screen. Pizza or pizza bites (perfectly acceptable substitute to pizza hut!) warming up infusing the house with that amazing cheap pizza smell and at least a cheap 30 pack of warm Milwaukees best still in the box at room temperature hiding behind the couch that someone stole from their dad. You simply turned around and walked out!!

Man do I miss those days, that lasted for years with them same game!! And man if the owner didn't have the unlocked paintball feature already... damn it man! Now we gotta run through and get that shit unlocked before we play split screen!!

Hey asshole! Are you looking at my screen??? Hell no stop camping in the same spot!! Hahahaha
...and "Hell, no!! You're not gonna be Oddjob again!"

1) Banjo Kazooie
2) Ocarina
3) Super Mario 64
4) Goldeneye
5) Mario Kart 64
6) Mario Party
7) Banjo Tooie
8) Mario Golf
9) Diddy Kong Racing
10) Conker's Bad Fur Day

About 30 other amazing games - my favorite console by far.

1) Banjo Kazooie
2) Ocarina
3) Super Mario 64
4) Goldeneye
5) Mario Kart 64
6) Mario Party
7) Banjo Tooie
8) Mario Golf
9) Diddy Kong Racing
10) Conker's Bad Fur Day

About 30 other amazing games - my favorite console by far.
You know what's up lol. Rare for the win.

Surely you can't have that list and not have played Perfect Dark to death. That was the ultimate multiplayer game.

You know what's up lol. Rare for the win.

Surely you can't have that list and not have played Perfect Dark to death. That was the ultimate multiplayer game.
I was too much of a 007 fan to give Perfect Dark the time of day. I'm sure, much to my detriment. I had friends that loved it.

I was too much of a 007 fan to give Perfect Dark the time of day. I'm sure, much to my detriment. I had friends that loved it.
I was never really into the single player mode, but multiplayer was next level. It had so many weapons, great maps, and bots with about 20 different difficulty settings. Plus a ranking system, so you could brag about being higher rank than your mates :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I was never really into the single player mode, but multiplayer was next level. It had so many weapons, great maps, and bots with about 20 different difficulty settings. Plus a ranking system, so you could brag about being higher rank than your mates :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Sounds amazing - I recently acquired all of the 64 games. I probably "need" to check it out, although I'm guessing I'll be super into it and my gf will be pissed about the time suck. I'll have to think this one through.

I absolutely loved GoldenEye in multiplayer mode! But I can't have been the only one who played GoldenEye in single player mode until my thumbs were sore? Every single level at every single difficulty, and of course the extras. Loved it!!

1. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. Absolutely amazing game IMHO. Definite favorite Zelda game, if not favorite game of all time.

Rest in random order:

Super Smash Bros.
Star Wars Rogue Squadron (LOVE the whole series)
Star Fox 64
Mario Kart 64
Goldeneye 007
Tony Hawk Pro Skater
LoZ: Ocarina of Time
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Stadium
Jet Force Gemini
Mario Golf
Blast Corp.
NFL Blitz 2000

N64 had some of the best multiplayer experiences I've ever had in video games.

Last edited:

Add 3 cases of cheap beer and this describes many of my college weeknights, lol. Good times.

My list:
  1. Golden Eye / Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  2. Mario Kart 64
  3. Zelda: Majora's Mask
  4. Mario 64
  5. Super Smash Brothers
I couldn't pick a distinctive #1, both were awesome and HOURs of fun for very different reasons. OoT is a timeless classic, both of my sons have picked it up years later and I've played it through 3 or 4 times after college (once after Breath of the Wild too!), it's just a fantastic game with a great story from start to finish. 4 player Golden Eye, even on the tiny 4 way split screens, was just non-stop competitive fun, from bouncing grenade launchers off 4 walls in the stack to sniping in the temple.

You Majora's Mask people...

tenor-2.gif

You Majora's Mask people...

View attachment 548705
The atmosphere in the game was amazing. People had their routines during each day, and they're attitudes and routines change with each progressing day. Very personal stories with most people you come across in a game. Had some pretty mature moments for what is originally a child's game (like Cremia basically getting her younger sister drunk on the final night right before the moon hits with their "special ranch milk."). Also seeing other people on the final night, especially the last few hours and watching their reactions with the haunting music, bell rings, and occasional earthquakes. And even other characters in the game outside of Termina, all the side quests you perform to not only retrieve all of the secondary masks, but experience other character moments as well.

MM was a much more personal game than OoT that focused more on characters than the story itself (even though it was still great IMO). Plus Skull Kid wanting to essentially destroy the world with a the moon than Ganondorf just wanting to rule it was pretty freakin' epic as a kid. And then having the giants stop it, get sucked into the moon, that eerie portion of the kids around the tree, and all that leading to the final boss, the one being that was effecting all of those characters' lives in the game, and get the Fierce Deity's mask to wreck Majora's Wrath's sh*t was absolutely cathartic (but not as much fun now as an adult).

I had played MM before OoT, so this could be why I lean towards the former more, but OoT while still a fine game and completely understanding people's praise of it, OoT didn't have that deep, personal impact that MM did.

The atmosphere in the game was amazing. People had their routines during each day, and they're attitudes and routines change with each progressing day. Very personal stories with most people you come across in a game. Had some pretty mature moments for what is originally a child's game (like Cremia basically getting her younger sister drunk on the final night right before the moon hits with their "special ranch milk."). Also seeing other people on the final night, especially the last few hours and watching their reactions with the haunting music, bell rings, and occasional earthquakes. And even other characters in the game outside of Termina, all the side quests you perform to not only retrieve all of the secondary masks, but experience other character moments as well.

MM was a much more personal game than OoT that focused more on characters than the story itself (even though it was still great IMO). Plus Skull Kid wanting to essentially destroy the world with a the moon than Ganondorf just wanting to rule it was pretty freakin' epic as a kid. And then having the giants stop it, get sucked into the moon, that eerie portion of the kids around the tree, and all that leading to the final boss, the one being that was effecting all of those characters' lives in the game, and get the Fierce Deity's mask to wreck Majora's Wrath's sh*t was absolutely cathartic (but not as much fun now as an adult).

I had played MM before OoT, so this could be why I lean towards the former more, but OoT while still a fine game and completely understanding people's praise of it, OoT didn't have that deep, personal impact that MM did.
You listed absolutely no gameplay reasons why you like the game. You just listed off all kinds of things I generally don't care about in games. Not that story isn't interesting, but it's not what makes me have the most fun. For example, I've never once used the party chat feature in Dragon Quest games.

I don't like Majora's Mask because the mechanisms of the "groundhog day(s)" scenario are not done well. You have to waste time waiting and doing nothing in certain circumstances unless you know the game extremely well. You can't just muck about and explore. And having to redo certain things over and over isn't fun. And being on a hard time limit to get the dungeons done is infuriating, especially when the controls for rolling around with the Goran mask are just trash. That dungeon made me quit the game, though it wasn't the only deal breaker.

But hey, I get people like MM. But there is a reason it's a hotly debated game. I really like Final Fantasy 8, so we all got problems.

You listed absolutely no gameplay reasons why you like the game. You just listed off all kinds of things I generally don't care about in games. Not that story isn't interesting, but it's not what makes me have the most fun. For example, I've never once used the party chat feature in Dragon Quest games.

I don't like Majora's Mask because the mechanisms of the "groundhog day(s)" scenario are not done well. You have to waste time waiting and doing nothing in certain circumstances unless you know the game extremely well. You can't just muck about and explore. And having to redo certain things over and over isn't fun. And being on a hard time limit to get the dungeons done is infuriating, especially when the controls for rolling around with the Goran mask are just trash. That dungeon made me quit the game, though it wasn't the only deal breaker.

Didn't list the gameplay because it's virtually the same as OoT, although there's the different forms of the three primary masks, which admittedly are fun and cool, but not as memorable. The Goron mask in the second dungeon was tough, but I'm to ignorant to have that stop me from completing through a game with my wanting to get through to the end mentality. But I will agree that MM didn't have as well as certain mechanics that OoT had like the magic abilities.

I personally liked the time mechanic in the game. I didn't mind the waiting around for certain things to happen like how I loved sailing the sea in Wind Waker, since I lived on the water in my childhood riding my boat around everywhere. You can explore around Termina, but just not on days when you're needing to advance through the dungeons. It's like I had to organize my days. MM had some unique mechanics that were not how games generally are but it fit well with my way of how my brain works, and my love of storytelling/films growing up.

You did know about the Reverse Song of Time to slow the time down, did you? Was surprised how many people never knew about it.

I really like Final Fantasy 8, so we all got problems.
Not as bad as yours. This explains everything.

Lol jk.

Speaking of DQ, I never played any of them except for IX on DS and LOVED it. Couldn't find anyone to play with though at that point in time.

Speaking of DQ, I never played any of them except for IX on DS and LOVED it. Couldn't find anyone to play with though at that point in time.
I highly recommend DQ11 on Switch or PS4. Best JRPG since FF6 or Chrono Trigger IMO.

In no particular order:
  • Duke Nukem 64
  • Goldeneye 007
  • Zelda Majora's Mask
  • Zelda Ocarina of Time
  • NBA Jam
  • Perfect Dark
  • Super Mario 64
  • Shadowgate 64
  • Mario Party
  • Quest 64

Anyone else do something similar playing Goldeneye?

we used to use 2 TVs and use cardboard on each one.

my one friend had memorized the maps so well that he would run facing the wall so if someone did spy they wouldn’t be able to tell where he was.

8E28E8EB-A132-4814-AC94-2BFDA9D21672.jpeg

Forgot to mention Shadow Man 64!

That game was a bitch to get through though. Many hours wandering around trying to figure out how to proceed to the next area.

Duke Nuke'em Zero Hour
Waialai Golf
Mario Kart 64
Wrestlemania 2000
Super Smash Bros.
Tetris 64

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom