Your "holy grail" set? (2 Viewers)

Psypher1000

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There have been and are lots of chip sets out there. Some are more rare than others; some appeal more to one person and less to the next. Chances are that all of us have seen at least one set that we're completely smitten by and constantly searching for or working on/towards, but just aren't there yet. It's a quest, if you will, with the chips being the grail. So what's your grail set? What are you saving for? What are you collecting piece by piece? What are your rarely-hit eBay searches?

For me, I probably have two right now - one somewhat realistic, and one less likely for me (since I doubt I'll have the scratch to pick them up if they ever actually hit the market):

- BCC MGK blanks (if you have any of these available, fire me a PM!)

- Paulson Noirs (*le sigh*)

chipjoker

Flush
Reaction score
Nice thread, When I first started down the rabbit hole of CHIPS mine was a cash set of EMPRESS it took 2 and a half years to acquire them (the $1 were the hardest) but now that I have them I don't have a set that really catches my eye that I NEED/WANT.
I wouldn't mind having a set of Top Hat and Canes or a Binions Set... ;)

looking forward to seeing all the reply'.

gpc

Pair
Reaction score
$1 kings crown white with brown inserts
a set of kings castle
bellagio first issue

i suppose they are all attainable with enough money and pursuit but that wouldn't be fun

Psypher1000

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice thread, When I first started down the rabbit hole of CHIPS mine was a cash set of EMPRESS it took 2 and a half years to acquire them (the $1 were the hardest) .

Very cool...congrats on getting in complete! At this point I've bought two folks' Empress sets and portions of three other Empress collections. I'm still looking for one more rack of $1 primaries...I fear I may have to resort to buying singles for that at some point. We'll see.

bellagio first issue

i suppose they are all attainable with enough money and pursuit but that wouldn't be fun

Mmmm...Bellagio...

atomiktoaster

Full House
Reaction score
Just based on pictures, a nice Mapes set has been calling to me for a while now. WAAAY above my budget. It makes a CPC Iron Bank cash set seem reasonable though... if stocky turns that into a group buy ;)

slisk250

Straight Flush
Reaction score
I'm trying to build four sets of Terribles. I'm almost done with the StJ and MT primaries but finding anyone to part with the secondaries has been frustrating.

pltrgyst

Royal Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This points out the advantage of preferring mixed sets -- there's always a better chance -- and probably a lot lower cost -- in being able to upgrade only one denomination at a time as you pursue your idea of perfection.

I think I already own my holy grail set -- the Mullet Bay CICs, coupled with the Divi Carina (St. Croix) $1s, since Mullet Bay $1s don't seem to exist in rack quantities. They'll be around even after the Vineyards are gone.

spikeithard

Flush
Reaction score
I guess the only set that comes close for me is my BCC GCR tourney set. As far as I know only something like a 4-5k chips were made from that set so I am lucky to have it. But it pales in comparison to other 'grails' in this thread.

Attachments

• 20130731_140512.jpg
    20130731_140512.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 95

Ben

Full House
Reaction score
Custom hotstamped E&C's. Not looking good for ever happening - I'll settle for inlaid though.

BGinGA

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what's your grail set? What are you saving for? What are you collecting piece by piece? What are your rarely-hit eBay searches?

If I told you I'd have to kill you. It's a secret. Hard enough to find them without bringing them to the front-and-center attention of the chipping world....

NiceShot

Flush
Reaction score
41pickup's Tropicana Las Vegas first edition set... I will never be able to afford it or have the ability to build that set... but that set is amazing.

ChipEnvy

Flush
Reaction score
My true grail would be a set of Kings Castle chips. By far the best inlay of any chip ever produced (the inlay tells a whole story while still being ascetically pleasing, you can't beat that). However I fear that will never become a reality.

Tommy

Royal Flush
Admin
Reaction score
Terrible's St. Jo primaries of course. :)

uploadfromtaptalk1428044244643.jpg

(Vineyards probably)

sent from my phone

B.C.

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Mapes Cash Set
Custom E & C's
Santa Yasbel Cash Set
Delta Club Cash Set

ovo

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
love the Delta Club, great chips, mint would have been amazing. I need some more dollars and 5's

ChaosRock

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sets that will never materialize:

- Large cash set of mint TRK Mapes

- Tourney set of mint Dunes Baccarat 20 to 5000 (T20 playing as T25)
*I'd settle for a similar set of 70's Sands Baccarat, LOL! Sweet (maybe '-est') house mold imo...

- Cash set of mint Las Vegas Stardust LVC circa 60's (solid 25¢, pink/green $1s, fuchsia/mustard $5s, purple/gray $20)

Last edited:

guinness

Flush
Reaction score
I had my holy grail set (Olivia's) and yes I would love Bergs Dunes set (they were really heavy handed with the lead back then). I would really love a mint California Bell Club set, although that is impossible since 95% of them are worn down to all hell. Love me those Bell's plus, now that I think of it, I wish I grabbed the Binions Horseshoe molds when Dolomite dumped his set. Holding a barrel of the hundos is just about the same exhilarating experience as the dunes. These things are ship anchors. Love handling them. Because Binions put poker on the map for Vegas, they are also historically fawesome.

horseshoe100yr.jpg

catalyzeme

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
I like to look just one set ahead. Next set is customs. If I could just have any set to keep and never sell, I don't know if I'd even be able to pick.

Top Bottom