Your Beer of Choice? (9 Viewers)

I wish, but Thirsty Dog Brewery gave me 11 cases in exchange for a picking up the freight charge on a special order for them. I had enough margin on the material to cover it so it worked out for us both. :D
I’m sure you can arrange a twice yearly “inspection” of their lines in exchange for a few more cases!!

:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
My gran was Irish and used to always have a few bottles of Guinness Foreign Export in the kitchen cupboard. She used to drink a bottle a day because “Guinness is good for you”. She lived until she was 93 so maybe there’s something in it...
Oh no, we've got a Celtic fan on our hands

:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Oh no, we've got a Celtic fan on our hands
Can’t believe that you’re believing the stereotype that just because my grandparents were Irish I must be a Celtic fan :bigbucks:

On saying that you’re absolutely spot on :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

A95E7826-785E-452D-8CCE-FCBC06798EAE.png

Tell me there’s a Russian roulette scene involving 5 nice beers and a total stinker :LOL: :laugh:

Did you ever get Beamish stout over there? There was a black and a red. The black was ok but the red was different class.

View attachment 279049
Yes I had Beamish a very long time ago but have not seen it in years here. I remember an Irish pub in Philly had it and Murphy’s. Murphy’s is very common. I remember liking Beamish and I also like Murphy’s ...but only until I have a Guinness. When Murphy’s and Guinness are had side by side Guinness is clearly the more interesting beer and king if that style.

Yes I had Beamish a very long time ago but have not seen it in years here. I remember an Irish pub in Philly had it and Murphy’s. Murphy’s is very common. I remember liking Beamish and I also like Murphy’s ...but only until I have a Guinness. When Murphy’s and Guinness are had side by side Guinness is clearly the more interesting beer and king if that style.
Definitely. Everyone else is vying for second place.
I’ve not seen Murphy’s over here for years.

Hard to argue the most popular and easiest style of beer is 10x over represented. :)

I've had dozens of different beers of all types before I had my first IPA but it, and many of the other IPAs after it, were hands down the first beers I ever really really liked. I'm sure there's some people who jumped on the band wagon but it's hard to argue it's the reason it's so popular.

I just love great beer of various types. I used to drink nothing but Guinness and couldn't stand the hoppiness of IPA early on In my drinking days. Then, I acquired the taste for IPAs several years ago (which is code for drinking way too much alcohol). Now, I've had enough IPA to crave doubles and triples (Pliny the Elder is my personal favorite), just to get my daily dose of hop water. But I absolutely still appreciate a nicely done sour (Consecration is my go-to) or a stout (anybody here like Founders KBS OR CBS). By the way, I was able to pick up some 750 ml at Total Wine in Orange County this week. But I certainly tend to favor the intense flavor of IPA any more... 10 to 1 over other beers.

20190423_021720.jpg
20190423_022131.jpg

But I absolutely still appreciate a nicely done sour (Consecration is my go-to) or a stout (anybody here like Founders KBS OR CBS). By the way, I was able to pick up some 750 ml at Total Wine in Orange County this week. But I certainly tend to favor the intense flavor of IPA any more... 10 to 1 over other beers.

Have you sampled real Belgian “sours”? They are officially known as Flemish Red ales. The Rodenbach posted above is the flagship example but Total Wine sells several of them. Most are very well balanced with a few leaning toward too sweet. Rodenbach is master class though.

I was initially excited to see them being made in the US but feared the American craft scene would feel obligated to bastardized them like they did with IPA by making them too strong or too sour. Some I’ve tasted are just that. It’s a shame that right now “creativity” in the US is simply taking a traditional style and turning up the volume.

Last edited:
I
Have you sampled real Belgian “sours”? They are officially known as Flemish Red ales. The Rodenbach posted above is the flagship example but Total Wine sells several of them. Most are very well balanced with a few leaning toward too sweet. Rodenbach is master class though.

I was initially excited to see them being made in the US but feared the American craft scene would feel obligated to bastardized them like they did with IPA by making them too strong or too sour. Some I’ve tasted are just that. It’s a shame that right now “creativity” in the US is simply taking a traditional style and turning up the volume.
I can't say I've ever bought a Flemish red ale. What a shame that I will have to go out of my way to visit Total Wine again this week.

I
I can't say I've ever bought a Flemish red ale. What a shame that I will have to go out of my way to visit Total Wine again this week.

Here are two others to look for. On the left is a slightly sweeter and a little less complex styling like Rodenbach. On the right is Liefmans Goudenband which is more dry and extremely complex ...but also very different than Rodenbach. Petrus is also good as is Monks Cafe which is a brew contracted by the famous Belgian Bar in Philly.

I’m a big believer in understanding the originals before exploring the copies. Unfortunately for us in the US there is no realistic way to reproduce these types of flavors with the equipment and environment here. Many of the US copies fail in comparison and are, of course too strong and
image.jpg
image.jpg
or sour.
Any monkey in a brew house can make a double IPA. Not so much for beers like Rodenbach and this Leifmans

I hosted last night and drank quite a lot of some really great beers. I didn't stage the shots the way I normally would for this thread, but I was a little busy hosting, banking, playing, and drinking. :confused

IMG_20190426_225520.jpg

This was a really nice barleywine that came home with me from S@tP.

I know how much everybody in this thread loves IPA, and there were a couple good ones that came out last night.

MVIMG_20190426_220929.jpg

IMG_20190427_021033.jpg

A few amazing local beers that we also shared last night. I didn't get pics then, so all I have for this thread are the corpses.

The last one is impossible to read. It's Dinosaur Chaps, a barrel aged Imperial Stout from Ellipsis Brewing here in Orlando.

IMG_20190427_160237.jpg

And in spite of the avalanche of great beer here last night, there's always one of these guys in the crowd.

IMG_20190427_160741.jpg

:ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I gotta jump in on this...lol. when it comes to beer, I make my own! You name it I can make it. Heck, even have it on tap. Right now I have a Ginger mead, Scottish, Cascadian and a non-alcoholic birch beer for the non-alcohol drinkers.

Attachments

• 20161211_204145.jpg
    20161211_204145.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 59
Whatever my neighbor is clearing out. He's a rep/brand developer for InBev and is always chronically low on refrigerated space.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom