WSOP house mold (1 Viewer)

The contact wasn't made to protect someone's job. Nobody's job is to inspect every single chip to see if there is a color difference (and the ES chips are different colors). No contact was made to spite the person that headed up the ES project. A direct attempt to get them convicted of some imaginary crime.

The thought still sickens me. :sick:

If you knew this individual at all, you’d know that this absolutely isn’t the case. But keep being the paranoid, delusional sunflower you’ve always been and believe whatever you want.

Without a doubt.

And not only was there the member who contacted Caesars, but others who made direct contact to GPI as well.

With friends like that, who needs enemies?

I dunno, ************, you tell me.

Edited by moderator. @Chipleader Please be nice. No need for name calling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adhesives?
Shaped pasties.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg

Wait, I thought everyone said there was zero legal jeopardy, so why does anyone care who contacted whom?

Hypocritical crowd, here.

Ok, just so we're clear... can you confirm you're calling into question @snooptodd 's integrity and ethics? That, as a poker journalist for years, he might not have felt some loyalty to an organization he had covered previously?

In his explanation on CD, he states he called a media contact to let them know about the chips because he didn't want another publicity crisis to occur if counterfeit chips were entered into the WSOP -- not because he was trying to protect "someone's job". Whether a crisis would happen if "Star" chip(s) were found in an event, and the size of that crisis, can be debated... but you're calling his explanation bullshit based on... what, exactly?

I thought you didn't approve of assumptions being made, and you didn't feel welcome on CD because of personal attacks; how is this any different, @Poker Zombie ? Unless you know something that other people don't know... which, as I've come to learn, seems to be par for the course regarding a number of issues on both boards.

Sweet Jesus... I hope I'm not the only one who wishes this year's WSOP to be over already -- maybe then the talk about Star chips/WSOP knowledge/conspiracy theories/personal attacks/etc will die down forever, and we can get back to the important topics... you know, like how chip flippers drove Jim (TCR) away from PCF and we don't get the awesome sales anymore... :unsure:

Taken this to PM to prevent uglying up an otherwise informative thread.

I’d suggest you clarify that in the thread then because it definitely looks like you’re calling snoop’s integrity into question, which is laughable.

I certainly did not call Snooptodd's integrity into question. He is an upstanding member of the community.

Now, back to the new chips!

Reactions: Nex
Taken this to PM to prevent uglying up an otherwise informative thread.

This broiled up and appears to be settled in the PM world before I was even aware of it, as I don't spend much of my time here anymore. But in case others are wondering what all the fuss was about, here is the post on CD that is being referred to ...

In other news, yes, these chips are horribad. It's too bad the inlay doesn't match, because if it did then it could at least be passable.

Because this seems so important to people, and because people that I respect are being dragged through the mud due to assumptions and suspicions being cast upon them, I'll out myself.

I contacted one of my old media contacts at the WSOP to let them know about the tribute set about two months ago. I sent the person a link to the thread on PCF, with a specific link to the post with the side-by-side comparison pictures. That person responded three hours later (essentially first thing in the morning Vegas time) thanking me for the tip. I have not had any further contact with anyone at the WSOP about it, nor did not contact GPI as I wouldn't have the slightest idea who to contact there.

My motivation for doing so was to prevent any WSOP tournament from being corrupted with counterfeit chips.

I'm 99.9% sure that none of the people who originally ordered the tribute chips from Paulson intended to use them in such a way. That being said, I have no idea what the intentions of any resale customers might be. There are a ton of angle shooters in the world who would be happy to pay $5-$7/chip for a chance to cheat in a poker tournament. Again, this is not intended as a judgment on anyone who purchased these chips either originally or in the secondary market. It would only take one person to do this for this to become the biggest poker story of the summer.

In my time as a poker journalist, I built very good working relationships with the folks at the WSOP. They were incredibly generous of their time and provided me with access that a lot of other poker journalists didn't get. I think that's probably because most of the other outlets that cover the event didn't ask for the things we did, but I also think that the WSOP appreciated our approach. We spent a lot of our time focusing on the interesting, everyday players, rather than just the stars, and that was good for their marketing message -- the WSOP is for everyone.

I've been at the WSOP during several publicity crises:

Man Makes Ladies Event Final Table
New Cards Are So Terrible Players Keep Misreading Hands
Main Event Final Table Has $3 million in Extra Chips Due To Color Up Error

I saw the toll these incidents took on the good folks there. So I told them about the tribute chips because I would feel awful if I read a story later this summer about how a whole bunch of counterfeit chips were introduced into a tournament and I had known it was a possibility and didn't say anything.

If this makes me a rat, so be it. If this means I'm not welcome at certain meetups or that you'll shun me if you see me at one, so be it. But I honestly think it was the right thing to do, and nothing that anyone says to me is ever going to change my mind about that.

Last edited:
Personally, I hope the WSOP buys a clue from this ordeal and changes their chips every few years. Make it difficult, if not impossible for a player to sneak a chip out of an event and into another event.

I know a lot of WSOP tournament chips have "walked away" over the years. I'm sure that the stats are closely guarded (if they even bother to count at all), but I suspect mostly T25s, and rapidly diminishing. But I do remember someone getting in trouble for taking a T100,000 (and getting caught). Certainly others have managed to palm high value chips for souvenirs (or nefarious purposes).

They will certainly not have to worry that someone will try to make replicas because they like them...

I wouldn't count on it. You could associate the WSOP with a steaming pile of poo and people will want it just because it is WSOP poo. Same with anything associated with Rounders. Makes no difference if it looks good or not, just stamp WSOP on it and people want it. It's that powerful a brand.

So this is how a Paulson rush job is looking....

They did get the inlays centered so that is 1 point...besides that i'm pulling a blank.

- base colors suck
- all side paint suck
- house mold sucks
- inlays color matching sucks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom