Wooden Chip Racks and Trays (2 Viewers)

It looks great! But my first thought was "can you put in more shelves?" It seem like a huge amount of space for only 3800 chips.
That is true and unfortunately you can’t put in more. It’s enough for me but I can see how it could be a problem.

@alecnetwoodworks helped me convert a humidor into a cool chip box. I could not be more pleased!

09DA428A-EDA4-4079-AECF-47BC03BBAE4A.jpeg
BB7E8068-E279-47EA-A9EB-1B9D801B4C3D.jpeg

Awesome work Alec!

I have mixed emotions.... On one hand great job, excellent craftsmenship, on the other hand a bit of heresy. As much as I love chips, I would never turn humidor into chip case.

I have mixed emotions.... On one hand great job, excellent craftsmenship, on the other hand a bit of heresy. As much as I love chips, I would never turn humidor into chip case.

Stopped smoking a year ago and it is sitting there empty. When the time comes (it will come), I’ll take the trays out and I’ll get my humidor back.

I could pretty easily extend the sides on some of the trays to have some "feet" in order to securely stack on top of the lower tray. Could make those 3 or 4 inches which should leave enough room to keep most of the lower chips still visible.
This sounds like a great idea. I'm interested in having a couple of extra trays stored away from the display case. Stacking them would be great option.

I got a couple prototypes made today of 100 chip racks for both 39mm and 43mm chips. I just used some offcuts from previous projects on these, but I think they came out pretty well!

View attachment 530949

Here are the 39mm racks in soft maple with an African mahogany border (sorry about the cheap chips... all I had around tonight)
Dimensions: 1" x 8 15/16" x 2 15/16" - 67.7mm barrel length

View attachment 530921View attachment 530922View attachment 530923View attachment 530924View attachment 530926View attachment 530927View attachment 530928View attachment 530929View attachment 530944

And the 43mm in wormy maple and black walnut. I don't have any 43mm chips around to show in the racks, so use your imagination.
Dimensions: 1 1/8" x 9 1/2" x 3" - 69mm barrel length

View attachment 530932View attachment 530933View attachment 530934View attachment 530935View attachment 530936View attachment 530937View attachment 530939View attachment 530940View attachment 530942

These have a few blemishes, so they're not for sale, but I learned a lot making these and have some ideas for improvements when manufacturing, so the next batch will be good to go. I tested cutting both with the grain (38mm) and across the grain (43mm). I was actually surprised at the cut quality across the grain, so I will likely stick with that for future racks, unless requested otherwise (Wood type may affect this considerably too). This also minimizes the amount of cross grain glue area, so should prevent any issues with wood movement. Plus the grain patterns look cool.

-Base price will be $20/rack for maple center and a border in any of the following woods (maple, red/white oak, walnut, cherry, mahogany, ash, hickory) with a clear finish.
-You tell me barrel length.
-Discount for ordering more than 5 racks.
-Price goes up with options (dyes/stains, exotic or figured woods, etc).
-I have a laser engraver arriving early next week, so once I get comfortable with that, I'll be able to provide custom engraving on the racks for an addition charge as well.

Let me know what you think.
What size forsnter bit are you using for the 43mm racks?

No CNC yet, though that would greatly simplify the process. I make the cut in about 3 passes usually. And use spacers the same size as the bit to keep spacing consistent.

No CNC yet, though that would greatly simplify the process. I make the cut in about 3 passes usually. And use spacers the same size as the bit to keep spacing consistent.
I've got an INCRA router table, was thinking about using that for the longer drawer type trays vs using a forsnter bit.

Router table is definitely the way to go. Much more consistent and reliable results. Just make sure to cut the blanks over sized and then trim them down to final size after routing. A spindle sander and 1.5” drum makes cleaning up the grooves easy on the smaller racks.

Hi Alec, can you make racks for 47mm chips and if yes, what would they cost maybe in full cherry?

I’ve checked with a couple suppliers and I’m not finding a 1 7/8” bit, which would be the closest to fitting that size chip. Closest size I’m finding is around 50mm, so there will be a bit more slop in the racks than typical. Message me with details of what you’re looking for as far as chip count and layout and I’ll get you a price.

Thanks for sharing your trade secrets! :p

Did you use a 1 1/2 bit for the 39mm chips? I've struggled to locate a 40mm core box bit in Australia.
Best fit I’ve found for 39mm chips is a 1 5/8” bit. This works out to about 41mm. I’ve bought several of these off of AliExpress and Amazon for a reasonable cost. AliExpress is probably your best bet for Australia.

Alec made this? I hadn't heard about this one...
Yeah. It's amazing.

I wanted an LED lit custom chip display cabinet to fit under my Soprano's memorabilia. Everything I found find online was a vertical display and no LED's. I contacted @alecnetwoodworks with my idea and dimensions and he said it wouldn't be a problem. It's perfect.

Yeah. It's amazing.

I wanted an LED lit custom chip display cabinet to fit under my Soprano's memorabilia. Everything I found find online was a vertical display and no LED's. I contacted @alecnetwoodworks with my idea and dimensions and he said it wouldn't be a problem. It's perfect.

Also a fellow Sopranos fan maybe you could please zoom out and include the Sopranos memorabilia in the photo?! :p

What type of wood was used for this cabinet?

Thanks Tom for sharing! Looks amazing all filled up.

@doakwolf the case is made of oak with an India ink black dye and lacquer finish.

Now there's a room with atmosphere. I see those chairs available at a number of different places. Prices all over the board. Do you remember where you got them and are they as sturdy as they look?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom