Windows on a MAC (1 Viewer)

davin

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Hi PCF
I’m not to tech savvy and was wondering does anyone use a MAC to run Windows applications. I recently had a program that I could use on my MAC get discontinued or what they call sunset!! Now I’m forced to either buy a windows computer or continue to use my MacBook Pro and run another program to get windows applications working like parallel or boot camp something like that. If anyone is doing this currently or done this I’d love to get more info.

I don’t run a virtual machine on my macs, but I have several clients who run Parallels with good success in their practices due to most industry software (incl. ours) being Windows exclusive.

There are subscription fees for it, and you’ll want to ensure you have enough memory and hard drive space to install and run it, but it’s seems to be a good option if you want to be able to run windows apps on your mac.

I don’t run a virtual machine on my macs, but I have several clients who run Parallels with good success in their practices due to most industry software (incl. ours) being Windows exclusive.

There are subscription fees for it, and you’ll want to ensure you have enough memory and hard drive space to install and run it, but it’s seems to be a good option if you want to be able to run windows apps on your mac.
this.

I can't offer any specific advise beyond mentioning that I use Parallels to run Windows on my Mac for two pieces of software for which there are no Mac versions.

I've had no problems doing this for over a decade now. I like Parallels (versus something like Boot Camp or similar) as I don't have to reboot and can use those Windows programs while rather transparently doing other things that are on the Mac "side" of things.

(for reference, these programs are used to process my astrophotos, so are processor and memory heavy. I don't try to do much else while I'm processing and memory sharing has been an issue at times, but that's only when in heavy processing while handling dozens of 18 Mb images at the same time. I'd expect most machines to have similar problems even if they were running a native Windows system).

Do I need to download parallels and windows or windows is already on parallels sorry for the noob questions

I’m trying to run AQ AutoQuotes

https://aq-fes.com/product/aq-cpq/

I’m not sure if I need two programs, parallels and windows software
I have a 2019 MacBook Pro Comp

001CFF53-637A-4EE7-993F-C01D67B39E17.jpeg

Yes, you’ll need to download and install windows.
So I’d open parallels and download windows from there or am I downloading windows on Mac, sorry for the noob questions I’m noob with this stuff

When you launch Parallels the first time, you define the virtual machine(s) you want to install. From there, you would install Windows as one of the VM's (it should walk you through that process... I don't recall as it's been a while since I did that).

If you really wanted/needed to, you could install separate virtual machines as part of Parallels, say a Linux build as an example, and choose which to launch when you start Parallels each time.

Parallels works very well and I've used it, but there are so many decent, reasonably priced options for Windows machines that I've owned one of each for several years now. If space or a second device is a big concern, then I'd recommend parallels. If not, grab a cheap Windows device.

Davin, I’m also somewhat technically challenged, and I downloaded parallels and used it for a while. It slowed down my computer significantly. I eventually got rid of the software that was windows only … there are MAC software options for most tasks that you need software for.
If you can’t, I agree with earlier posts that buying a cheap “burner” PC is an option you should consider. I replace my MAC every 4 years or so and just didn’t reinstall parallel/windows at one of those times.

Davin, I’m also somewhat technically challenged, and I downloaded parallels and used it for a while. It slowed down my computer significantly. I eventually got rid of the software that was windows only … there are MAC software options for most tasks that you need software for.
If you can’t, I agree with earlier posts that buying a cheap “burner” PC is an option you should consider. I replace my MAC every 4 years or so and just didn’t reinstall parallel/windows at one of those times.
I think I’ll be doing that

If it's just one Windows application that you need to run, you can probably do it for free by running it inside Wine. It's open source.

https://www.winehq.org/
I’ve done this, with success. It creates what they call a “bottle”, and tricks the app into thinking it’s running on a pc. It’s not for every app, but definitely worth a shot, as you don’t need a large partition, or Windows install.

Wine is worth trying because it's free, but I would not recommend parallels or bootcamp to operate a single app. Dual boot systems and virtual machines are both annoying, albeit generally well supported solutions.

If wine doesn't work, just buy a super cheap windows machine for this use case.

If it's just one Windows application that you need to run, you can probably do it for free by running it inside Wine. It's open source.

https://www.winehq.org/
Anything bad with running this on my Mac? Am I prone to viruses etc.?
I use a app called AQ which is a quoting software but I’m always on the road using it on my laptop here’s the requirements you think it will work

83932B8A-D42B-42EE-8D95-187C45CDB286.jpeg

I use VMwares Fusion, and run win10. Works perfect

I run Parallels for my users when they need more 'easy-to-use' installs, but there is also the free option of VirtualBox that works but isn't as "user friendly" as Parallels. But it still works well for ~95% of most things.....

Also note that the VM world in macOS will be changing with the introduction of the M1 CPU by Apple last year..........I know Parallels has acknowledged they have a version for the M1 ARM architecture, but I haven't seen anything from VirtualBox
It's also important to know that Boot Camp will be DOA on those M1 systems

Good luck though!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom