Windows 10 (1 Viewer)

I use my work laptop both at work and at home. Have still stable Win 7 Pro and luckily we are not upgrading OS for a while. Like the current one.
Crashed down a couple of times, but all in all, I'll give it 9 our of 10 points.

I'm not a windows user (I make iPhone apps for a living) but I saw this article today about Windows 10's privacy settings.

Probably worth a read, but the synopsis is: Windows 10 spies on users a ton, but you can turn it off.

So I had a friend commenting about how hideously slow upgrading is, yesterday. He was giving the play-by-play, hourly updates.

Yesterday morning, I had gone to the "Download Windows 10" site and told it to make my USB stick into a Windows 10 installer. It was downloading REALLLLY slowly... but I was leaving for the day and that was fine. I made sure any files I wanted were saved, planning on doing a clean install after the stick was ready... I always do clean installs. I never try to upgrade or preserve apps; too many headaches in my past. Then I left for the day.

Last night, when I got home, the stick was ready.

Today, I installed it on my older laptop, to test. I was up and running in Windows 10, fully installed, in under 30 minutes. It will probably be even faster on my newer laptop, when I do it.

So far, I like. I agree that the layout is better. Performance seems great, memory utilization is lower than 7. I'll be doing a more detailed comparison when I upgrade my newer Win 8.1 laptop, but this is running great on the 2012 machine.

I may have saved time on the clean install, but I just STARTED spending the install time for my various apps, starting with Firefox, Chrome, and LastPass... will see how it goes. Once I have everything loaded up, will see if the memory utilization is still nice and low.

Oh, and the OS footprint seems pretty low - but it always looks that way on a clean install. Curious to see how this pans out, but right now, I have more free space than I expected. :)

So I had a friend commenting about how hideously slow upgrading is, yesterday. He was giving the play-by-play, hourly updates.

Yesterday morning, I had gone to the "Download Windows 10" site and told it to make my USB stick into a Windows 10 installer. It was downloading REALLLLY slowly... but I was leaving for the day and that was fine. I made sure any files I wanted were saved, planning on doing a clean install after the stick was ready... I always do clean installs. I never try to upgrade or preserve apps; too many headaches in my past. Then I left for the day.

Last night, when I got home, the stick was ready.

Today, I installed it on my older laptop, to test. I was up and running in Windows 10, fully installed, in under 30 minutes. It will probably be even faster on my newer laptop, when I do it.

So far, I like. I agree that the layout is better. Performance seems great, memory utilization is lower than 7. I'll be doing a more detailed comparison when I upgrade my newer Win 8.1 laptop, but this is running great on the 2012 machine.

I may have saved time on the clean install, but I just STARTED spending the install time for my various apps, starting with Firefox, Chrome, and LastPass... will see how it goes. Once I have everything loaded up, will see if the memory utilization is still nice and low.

Oh, and the OS footprint seems pretty low - but it always looks that way on a clean install. Curious to see how this pans out, but right now, I have more free space than I expected. :)

Keep us updated on this install. My current concern is that I run a lot of apps/silverlight/programs and if even one does not work, my world becomes a little darker.

Yep, PokerDIY.com is my go-to poker timer. Without it, I'm taking a step backwards. It's also my only silverlight program (that I'm aware of)..

As far as I know, Microcrap will be ending the life of Silverlight soon. Am I right?

I only got to use Windows 10 for 2 days. The video card in my Dell laptop died. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. There were many issues with the first gen AMD m8900 FirePro cards. My system went out of warranty in April. :(

Bought an HP ZBook 17 G2 Mobile Workstation with the 17.3-in IPS DreamColor display yesterday since the current 17" Dell Precision does not offer an IPS display.
I may be thinning out some chips to offset the costs so keep an eye out in the classifieds. Who needs 500 fractionals anyway right!?

As far as I know, Microcrap will be ending the life of Silverlight soon. Am I right?

Silverlight v5 support ends on Oct 12, 2021 (link), but no new versions will be released. As of that date, it's pretty much dead. That said, access to Silverlight apps through browsers will probably drop off sooner, as suspect that MS will not be patching Silverlight to work with newer versions of browsers, either.

Everything is moving to HTML 5. One of the reasons why the new chip design tool was done in HTML 5.

Silverlight v5 support ends on Oct 12, 2021 (link), but no new versions will be released. As of that date, it's pretty much dead. That said, access to Silverlight apps through browsers will probably drop off sooner, as suspect that MS will not be patching Silverlight to work with newer versions of browsers, either.
Thanks for the timeline info. Some apps already have problems w/ Silverlight, especially while using Firefox. IE and Chrome should handle those apps better.

PokerDIY timer works fine in Firefox after installing Silverlight.

On the Silverlight install page, I was informed that Chrome and Edge are "not fully compatible" with Silverlight, so I did not install.

MS Edge is the new browser that is default in Windows 10, but for compatibility, in MS Edge you can go into the Other menu and choose "Open with Internet Explorer." If you do that, PokerDIY timer works fine in IE (after installing Silverlight.)

I didn't run the timer for an actual tournament, but I did make a 20-denom chip set, set it to one-minute blind levels and let it roll through a level change... all features, including the awful sound effects, look to be working.

Side note - am loving the new file copy UI. If you get a bunch of copy jobs going, you can get detailed throughput graphs, you can pause one or more of the copy jobs to allow the more important ones to finish first, very nice...

Can't you just download and install the poker diy tournament clock and not have to worry about using it in a browser?

Can't you just download and install the poker diy tournament clock and not have to worry about using it in a browser?

To install it locally, you start it in the browser, then right-click on it to "Install on this computer". Once you do that, you no longer need a browser or internet connection. I think you lose the speech options if you run it without an internet connection, but the other sound effects work.

I'm having a hard time finding reasons not to go to Win 10 on my primary laptop (currently 8.1).

Am thinking about my HTPC - currently Win 7, and I used to use Windows Media Center on it a lot. Lately, I've been using VLC player more because of trouble with a few files. I'm considering going to Windows 10 and running XBMC/Whatever They Call It Now.

To install it locally, you start it in the browser, then right-click on it to "Install on this computer". Once you do that, you no longer need a browser or internet connection. I think you lose the speech options if you run it without an internet connection, but the other sound effects work.

Speech works after downloading, but it opens its own "out of browser" Silverlight window. Knowing support will exist through October 2021 gives me some time to find a decent, simple, non-subscription (preferably free) tournament manager.

Or I may just buy a new machine and use this one exclusively for poker tournaments.
1st world problems...

....Probably worth a read, but the synopsis is: Windows 10 spies on users a ton, but you can turn it off.

When you finish the install, the first screen you see informs you of this, and provides a link to a page where you can turn all these options off.

Ive had it for 24 hours and I'm about done with it. I like the UI but it has been crashing regularly. It appears to be online videos? No fixes in the knowledge base yet that I could find. Happens in edge and Chrome, most up to date drivers for video and sound.

It's just the onboard gpu. MSI g41-p23. I have no need for beefed up video.

So that's an Intel GMA X4500 with an Intel front side chip set.

I don't need a separate graphics card, either - I have Intel HD 4000 built into the laptop that's working well.

The primary laptop is newer than either of the two graphics cards we're talking about, so it sounds be ok for me... (famous last words...) actually, Samsung had said my laptop is totally kosher, so I should have no worries... It has Intel HD 4400.

So that's an Intel GMA X4500 with an Intel front side chip set.

I don't need a separate graphics card, either - I have Intel HD 4000 built into the laptop that's working well.

The primary laptop is newer than either of the two graphics cards we're talking about, so it sounds be ok for me... (famous last words...) actually, Samsung had said my laptop is totally kosher, so I should have no worries... It has Intel HD 4400.

Your probably in good shape then. I started having trouble instantly. It is isolated to online videos only that I could find. When I see a fix come up I will try again because I like the UI in 10 much better than 8.1.

Your probably in good shape then. I started having trouble instantly. It is isolated to online videos only that I could find. When I see a fix come up I will try again because I like the UI in 10 much better than 8.1.

I wonder if it's a Flash issue (caused blue screens in Win10 in November), or perhaps a codec issue. Does the HTML5 video on the following page crash the machine?
http://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html.

I wonder if it's a Flash issue (caused blue screens in Win10 in November), or perhaps a codec issue. Does the HTML5 video on the following page crash the machine?
http://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html.

I took 10 of the machine for now but will try it again soon. I thought about the flash issue but did not try to reload it. It did happen on various video playback sites but I didnt check the format.

Just bought a 24" Dell all-in-one (8G, 1TB, A8) from Best Buy with Win 10 pre-installed. At startup, I got the same page with a link enabling the buyer to turn off all the data reporting options.

Installed Chrome and T-bird, and it's ready to go.

It had a defective wireless keyboard -- the positive battery contact does not project out of its housing, so the keyboard doesn't get power. And the wireless mouse is a real piece of crap, as well. But the machine itself is fine...

I can't believe all the stuff you have to take out to change the video card. Crazy!

20150808_225533.jpg

20150808_225555.jpg

20150808_230103.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom