Why no seating numbers on custom felts? (2 Viewers)

GreekRedEye

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a couple table toppers to fit a Barrington. Is there a reason why none of the custom toppers I see have seating numbers on them? Seems it would make it easier to randomly sit folks as they can match their seating number up to the number on the felt. Also easier when redirecting folks when breaking tables.

I know that as host, I tend to pick a seat that is convenient for me to handle rebuys, etc. So I pick a seat number at random for that table, then I choose my seat and others sit relative to my number. As well, the number of players around a table can vary from game to game, so having an open layout works better for spacing.

Last edited:
Seating numbers printed on the felt or somewhere on the rail itself?

Hate both ideas personally. Might be a way to make it look nice but I can’t imagine how
On the felt. I think the numbers could be subtly done, but yeah, I suppose some folks would not like the looks. Other than looks, any good reason not to do this?

I know that as host, I tend to pick a seat that is convenient for me to handle rebuys, etc. So I pick a seat number at random for that table, then I choose my seat and others sit relative to my number. As well, the number of players around a table can vary from game to game, so having an open layout works better for spacing.
That's interesting. Could still work with numbers on the felt, but you'd have to plan ahead and give yourself the seating number you want. My thinking is I would always sit in the traditional dealer seat, so that would be one, and I would just give myself seat 1 chip before drawing for seats.

On the felt. I think the numbers could be subtly done, but yeah, I suppose some folks would not like the looks. Other than looks, any good reason not to do this?

Short handed games. “Hey Bill, why don’t you take seat 2.5 and Joe, you take seat 6.25”

Then you just have random numbers printed on the felt, which I would think always looks wierd.

Pick a dealer position, then number around the table accordingly

Because if I have 6 people playing, I want them spread out, but explaining that we are on my using spots 2,3,5,6,8 is weird. Different games need different spacing, and I wouldn't want anything on my felt that complicates that.

At our game we draw cards. Ace chooses their seat and they are the first dealer. Everyone else fills in around the table accordingly.
Same here but I choose my seat without drawing a card to handle the buy ins and stuff, highest cards goes to my left and so on.

This all makes sense. Seems the numbers would cause more complications than help. Figured there was a reason, but wanted to explore before I made the topper design.

Most of my regulars have their favorite seats, and they will get at the game early do they get their seating.
I typically sit close to my chip cabinet for rebuys etc.
We just do high card deals 1st...and go from there..
Some get a bit excited if they get there and their seat is taken..lol.

Last edited:
Our seating cards have a map on them. This makes finding your seat easy without numbers on the table.
6x4 seating card example 2.jpg

Making things a little easier, I have playing cards placed on the table with the starting stacks at the start of the night.
1709413252934.png

Of course the playing cards are for tournaments only. If we are running a cash game seat numbers are unnecessary, as those games players just pick an open seat.

Most of my regulars have their favorite seats, and they will get at the game early do they get their seating.
I typically sit close to my chip cabinet for rebuys etc.
We just didn't high card deals 1st...and go from there..
Some get a bit excited if they get there and their seat is taken..lol.
The savvier players could exploit that.

Only useful with a super awesome Super Nintendo setup.
I don't know...I'm thinking a topper with famous zombies. Someone draws Zombie Elvis, someone else draws Marie Curie Zombie, etc.

I hate how they look, and if theres only 4 or 5 of us on a big ol table I dont want to be boxed into one seat or another. Plus board games on the table. Good luck and enjoy, I wont judge, but not for me.

This

Our seating cards have a map on them. This makes finding your seat easy without numbers on the table.
View attachment 1284971

Making things a little easier, I have playing cards placed on the table with the starting stacks at the start of the night.
View attachment 1284976

Of course the playing cards are for tournaments only. If we are running a cash game seat numbers are unnecessary, as those games players just pick an open seat.
Using the playing cards as a number is an easy solution.

If you do want numbers, just get decals and place them on the back of the chairs.
I like this idea. I may implement this.

If you do want numbers, just get decals and place them on the back of the chairs.
I tried this one time, taping a 3x5 card on each chair.

I think, at most, one person noticed. Everybody else was fixated on the table while carrying their drinks. My room is also pretty tight with 2 tables in it, so YMMV.

I need to sit at a certain place at my table due to my handicap, but want it to be random just like every other player. So I have oversized seating place cards that I place on the table after I’ve drawn my seating chip. Works really well. You can see them here with starting stack tubes sitting on top of them.
IMG_5207.jpeg

I gave it a shot. I'd like to think they're relatively subtle and it sure helps to have one less set of seating chips to keep track of.

View attachment 1285051
I think this might be a best of both worlds solution.

I always assign myself seat 1 for hosting purposes and everyone else draws their seats. (Thanks for the tip on that one @Chris Manzoni!) While we almost always play with less than 10, it would be helpful to have a designated space to go to before spacing out more evenly

Mannnnn there was a great thread about picking seats or having the same seats and it was a solid 50/50 divide…but I was diggin in to my argument lol!

If you always take seat one in a blinds focused tournament it gives you a distinct advantage. I do not want to take any advantage no matter how big or small over the other participants in my games. I think that speaks to integrity of fairness.

If you always take seat one in a blinds focused tournament it gives you a distinct advantage. I do not want to take any advantage no matter how big or small over the other participants in my games. I think that speaks to integrity of fairness.
We don’t use the seating positions to determine dealer as well, that’s done independently through a high card draw at the top of the tournament

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom