Why are poker chips so addicting? (2 Viewers)

C57FCE0D-226D-4FF1-AD04-2EAC31FC664F.jpeg

What’s even more messed up is that I’ll agonize over spending more than $50 on something like a shirt or something for the house, yet I’ll drop $500 to $1000 on a set of chips like it’s normal. My wife definitely thinks I’ve lost it.
Couldn’t have said if better. It’s like money for chips is Monopoly money.

I’m not hooked on chips, I’m hooked on boxes coming in the mail.

^this. Maybe there's cocaine mixed into the cardboard;)

What’s even more messed up is that I’ll agonize over spending more than $50 on something like a shirt or something for the house, yet I’ll drop $500 to $1000 on a set of chips like it’s normal. My wife definitely thinks I’ve lost it.

I get crap for this from my wife all the time. She would like for me to buy more clothes because apparently mine look old, but I don't care to be buying clothes when there's chips to buy lol

^this. Maybe there's cocaine mixed into the cardboard;)

I get crap for this from my wife all the time. She would like for me to buy more clothes because apparently mine look old, but I don't care to be buying clothes when there's chips to buy lol

I can relate to this. How I spend money makes no sense. The idea of spending .99 on an app is abhorant to me. $100 on a pair of jeans? Hell no. I run marathons and refuse to spend more than $50 on running shoes. But $8 Miller Lites at the ballpark or $100 for forty $500 chips that will never actually be used in my .25/.50 game....“shut up and take my money”

We all make different decisions. Even within chipping. Some can’t understand paying the cost of custom CPCs, while others are confused at clay-like prices for plastic, slugged Matsui chips. Still others laugh at the frenzy for jack RHCs. And the prices some are willing to pay for BTP auctions. Wow! To each their own and that’s the glory of the free world we live in.

At least you can resell quality chips and recoup at least part of your expense (or sometimes even make a small profit). The t-shirt once it’s been washed even once has no value except to the Salvation Army.

The only fail one sense... they really don’t taste good.
I've heard the old Paulsons taste a bit like the paint chips I ate as a child, but I can neither confirm nor deny that.

I've heard the old Paulsons taste a bit like the paint chips I ate as a child, but I can neither confirm nor deny that.

Well, it's because they used to contain lead, which tastes sweet. You probably can't confirm or deny that because you have lead-induced chronic delirium. But that's okay. Just buy more chips and nobody will notice.

They definitely can be addicting. I pulled mine out after not doing anything with them for a while. It looks like I have 5,000+ chips. Why? That is a really great question.

It is fun!!!!!! and when I started buying Paulson they were a lot cheaper than now...:eek: Just like everything else ;)

I don't think the chips themselves are addicting but like any hobby, the feeling you get whenever you complete a collection, see a package on your doorstep that adds to the collection or find a great deal on a certain item, is what we're addicted to.

I just laughed at that myself. I wouldn't buy a loaf of nice bread because the price was absurd, but I'll buy some clay discs!

Chips are not addicting by itself .. it's the collection factor
As a kid I starting collecting stamps from the family letters send from Europe to Latin america.
Then coins, then comics, memorabilia, MtG cards, action figures, and so and so and so...

Why did I collect ?
To reduce anxiety? as described on many literature as "Relaxation and stress reduction"?
Certainly, ... but for sure I did for:

Knowledge and learning
For personal pleasure and appreciation of beauty
Nostalgia and/or a connection to history

Then, one day, for financial reasons I decided to sell my WW2 collection and then I learned a lot about myself.
A few years later, I went to Tokyo and walking into Akihabara, I realized that "collection" is a never ending thing, therefore I "can't beat the game" and I decided to quit collection. Since then the need of "possession" and pride of ownership are gone.

What I never looked for (while collecting):
To some extend, recognition by fellow collectors and perhaps even non-collectors. (But how cool was to have "the unique item" that no other could have )
Altruism (I never thought to one day donate any collection to a museum, at the best pass over to my kids)
Accumulation and diversification of wealth.

What I have abandoned so far or "I do not care anymore" :
Feel of pride of ownership
Social interaction with fellow collectors (as I do not consider myself a collector anymore)
Competitive challenge

However I still into the "The desire to control, possess and bring order to a small part of the world" That's the reason why, time to time, I arrange and re arrange the chips in different boxes and racks and time to time take them off and put it back..
But I'm sure that I will overcome to that too..

--------

** all terms are references to : The psychology of collectors (Farouk Radwan) and IC (James L. Halperin - intelligentcollector.com)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom