When does Position end? (1 Viewer)

Poker Zombie

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Sure, I know that when you act directly after the villain, you have position on them. But do you consider it position if they are 2 seats after you? 3 seats? 4 seats?

Does that number vary if the players in the intervening seats are fish?

Benefit of position means you get extra info for your turn. In a given hand, you have position on everyone who acts before you.

Now in the session, the further someone is away the less hands you will be in position vs out of position. So in that respect, if you want position on a certain player, you want to sit as close to their left as possible.

Probably along @Frogzilla 's thinking. I say I have position on players if I act after them on more hands than not. So in an 8-handed game I have position on the 3 players on my right, I am equal on positional advantage against the 4th guy, and everyone else has a positional advantage on me.

The degree of advantage changes by seat of course. My biggest advantage is against the guy on my immediate right, and disadvantage to the guy on my immediate left.

The tighter the player to my left, the better because he is exploiting his positional advantage the least.

Last edited:
But do you consider it position if they are 2 seats after you? 3 seats? 4 seats?

I don't consider anyone to have position against me because of where they're sitting - it's strictly a matter of where the button is.

If they're on my left, I'll have position on them once each time the button goes round - when I'm the dealer.
If they're on my right, they'll have position on me once per round.

If they're across from me, it will be 50/50. People in between don't matter - it's just a matter of where the button is.

So, if they're a problem player, it can help to have them on my right... but generally speaking, I don't try to put the good players on my right. I'm OK with them on my left. I'll need to play a little more carefully when they're in a hand with me, but that's OK - good players are not in the hand with me all that often. What I really want is the BAD players on my right, so I can extract as much as possible from them - and they'll be in hands with me more often.

Sure, I know that when you act directly after the villain, you have position on them. But do you consider it position if they are 2 seats after you? 3 seats? 4 seats?

Frogzilla is right, but I think its not exactly what you are asking.

It makes sense to say you have position on someone (in general based on your respective seats at the table.) if you are one seat after them because you will have position on 8 out of 9 hands (at a 9-handed table)
If they are sitting 4 seats to the right, you have position on them on 5 out of 9 hands,
That is a majority of hands, but it doesn't make sense to say 'you have position on them' in general.
If that is your question, then I guess I'd say 2 seats, for an 8 or 9 handed game and 3 seats for 10 handed.
(This is my opinion scientifically based on the first thing that popped into my head.)

I don't consider anyone to have position against me because of where they're sitting - it's strictly a matter of where the button is.

This I guess illustrates the multiple ways to interpret the question. On a per hand basis this is correct. If you are talking about seating overall then I think it makes sense to recognize against which players you have the positional advantage most often and I have heard "being in position" discussed in those terms as well.

This I guess illustrates the multiple ways to interpret the question. On a per hand basis this is correct. If you are talking about seating overall then I think it makes sense to recognize against which players you have the positional advantage most often and I have heard "being in position" discussed in those terms as well.

True, there are two contexts:

1. Table/seat scouting. You're looking for a seat, you have a choice, you recognize some players... You choose to have position on those for whom it matters more. For those players you want position on, the closer to your right, the better.

2. A hand. In a hand, seating is irrelevant. Only the button matters. If you're in a hand, all that matters is who is clockwise closer to or on the button. Whoever acts later has position on those who act earlier.

I assumed the latter, because the OP referred to a "villain," which usually refers to a specific person in a hand with you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom