Tourney What's Your Buy-In? (2 Viewers)

We always do CHF 30.- (ca. 30.-$) and no rebuy and it's okay for all (7-9 players) and we pay out at least the first 3 to 4 players.

So no-one gets rich and no-one will be broke. ;)

Most of the home tourneys I've played in were $40 STT. Usually 9-10 players. Cheap enough that it doesn't sting if you bust out, but worth trying to win IMO. Cheaper than a night out drinking.

I also occasionally played in a monthly 3-4 table(20-32 player) tournament with a $60 buy in. The caveat being that one rebut/add on was already included with the buy in. Makes is a great value.

What"s considered too much is really player dependent. I've had some tell me that $20 was too expensive for a home game. Granted, they claimed to be very, very casual players.

Unless you're running a large, multiple table, high buy in tournament I'd skip the dedicated dealer. YMMV

I haven't played a lot of home tourneys. What do the players do that bust out at a 9-10 player tourney? At least with the big tourney, you can have a side cash game. We always play cash games with 8-10 people.

This group was all friends/friends of friends so many a six pack or bottle was bought and shared. No cash games afterwards. We had to be some what tame because of roommate issues but most stayed and had a few beers and a smoke. A few sour grapes losers would leave every once in a while. Usually one of the early bustouts would become the dedicated dealer for the night

Ours is typically $15 + $5 bounty, plus an optional $10 rebuy you can take any time before or during first break. So it's basically a $30 night. If you bust before the break it's a rebuy, and if not it's an addon at the break, and it's rare that someone doesn't take it.

As for the op question, $10 dealer fee for a $30 home game seems a bit high to me. That's basically a 25% rake.

$100 buy-in with $10 bounty each week. I get between 30-40 players. We deal ourselves... I'm not sure, but I don't think it's legal in NJ to pay dealers at a home game. Does anyone know for sure? My understanding is the minute you start taking funds out of the prize pool for any reason you might be subject to legal action...

It's legal to pay dealers.

It's not legal to take money out of the pool or the pots or to charge players in order to pay the dealers (or for any other reason.)

$20 + $5 bounty, usually a $0.25/$0.50 cash game as soon as 3 bust out of the tourney. Peeps usually buy in to the cash game for another $20. I wish I had players willing to play a $100 tourney though...

My mates game is $30 for two stacks. You either get your second stack when you bust out or at the first break. Unlimited rebuys until the first break.

Dedicated dealer who plays for free as pay.

Funny thing is if the right guys are playing first prize can be $300+ with around 7-8 players.

I like this format stocky. So a crazy guy can busto four times in hour 1 and then wait for his second stack at the break?

I like this format stocky. So a crazy guy can busto four times in hour 1 and then wait for his second stack at the break?

Not quite. Your first bust out gets you your second stack right away. After that they can bust out and rebuy as much as they like for the first hour.

Also one guy commented one night that he need to come first just to break even for the night. Some of the guys get a little crazy. Especially towards the break if they're short stacked, they'll shove blind and rebuy instantly hoping to get a decent stack going.

my main group usually plays $40 buy ins/rebuys and $20 add ons for half of the starting stack.

I dont know any decent dealers who would deal for that low around these parts.

Actually, I think $10/hour is too low.
A good dealer at at 1/2 cash game will make between $50-$80 an hour if they are hustling and the action is good. (and or are extremely busty lol) Or $20-$40 if it is a tight game.

Its like asking a waitress to come out for just tips at a tight game.
You got to pay them something in case they dont make enough. (or they wont be coming back)

All dealers know they will make less on a tourney. Maybe have a cash game afterwards so they know they will make some decent money for the night.

Our tourney had 5 tables and a very competent group of dealers. Two deal the wsop circuits year-round that trained the others.

It was just a $50+$10 buy-in tourney. The $10 gave you extra chips of which 75% went to the dealers.
they would each get $60-75 for around 2 hours of dealing. Even then the dealers couldn't wait to get to the cash tables.
Then all 5 tables would run cash all night.

Remember, unless you have a group of regs, dealers bring players! Keep them happy and treat them fairly.

My Christmas tournament is a $5 buy in and $5 rebuys and add ons. It is a super crazy format that usually has people rebuying a lot which is why it's so low. If I do actual tournaments, which is never, then buy ins would be between $60-100.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom