Cash Game What's the difference .25/.50 vs .50/.50? (1 Viewer)

25c/50c & 50c/50c played almost the same if you using 25c chips.

If you are using 50c chip, the pot will be played slightly larger as people had lesser option to raise, example with 25c chip you can raise with $1.25 $1.50 $1.75 or $2 whereas with 50c chip the raise are $1.50 $2 or $2.50

@CrazyEddie EVERY DAY YOU POST SOMETHING THAT REINFORCES MY FORUM CRUSH ON YOU!!!

Maybe introduce them to games like PLO; everyone gets good hands (look, two pair! look, a flush! look, a boat!) so everyone can get excited about what a great hand they have and maybe they'll start betting and raising and then get excited about how big the pots are and how awesome it is to beat someone else's full house with a better full house! Instead of gambling passively (everyone limps so it's just a luckfest) they can get excited by gambling actively (everyone raises so it's just a luckfest). Then when you play NLHE they'll have gotten used to the idea of raising to build the pot when they have a hand with some potential.
I was going to post THIS!! well it would look a little more like this...

The OP didn't state the game they play, and assumes there is only ONE game, and everyone knows which one the OP is talking about! Sure sure NLH blah, boooorrrring!

Normal Strategy! hmph. It sounds like you have gamblers, cater to them, give them 4 cards, it won't take 3 full games before most of them figure out preflop raising isn't really the best idea every hand. We like to call the real game PLO, welcome to the party!

If I wanted to introduce a new concept that would immediately improve the overall play of a game I was hosting (I don't), I would make it a rule that you are not allowed to limp first in...you MUST raise.

Let me be clear though...it is their money and they are allowed to play however they like.

My job as a host is to make sure I am a good host and that all the rules are followed....to provide a good atmosphere to have a great poker game.

My job as a player (that is striving to win) is to figure out what mistakes each player is making and take advantage of those mistakes.

25c/50c & 50c/50c played almost the same if you using 25c chips.

If you are using 50c chip, the pot will be played slightly larger as people had lesser option to raise, example with 25c chip you can raise with $1.25 $1.50 $1.75 or $2 whereas with 50c chip the raise are $1.50 $2 or $2.50

I agree with what @LeLe is saying here, but I don't think it will effect a game full of fish, because nobody is going to be playing small ball here. I imagine most pots will go 4-6 calls, then every now and then somebody picks up JJ+ and makes it like $8. doG, I miss these games!

If I wanted to introduce a new concept that would immediately improve the overall play of a game I was hosting (I don't), I would make it a rule that you are not allowed to limp first in...you MUST raise.

Let me be clear though...it is their money and they are allowed to play however they like.

My job as a host is to make sure I am a good host and that all the rules are followed....to provide a good atmosphere to have a great poker game.

My job as a player (that is striving to win) is to figure out what mistakes each player is making and take advantage of those mistakes.

I agree 100%. I think I crush it as a host. Still trying to figure out the "playing" aspect lol.

I agree with what @LeLe is saying here, but I don't think it will effect a game full of fish, because nobody is going to be playing small ball here. I imagine most pots will go 4-6 calls, then every now and then somebody picks up JJ+ and makes it like $8. doG, I miss these games!
I don't have to imagine, I play PLO :wtf:

This post made me feel better about my home game. 75% of the table limping in constantly, and calling all the way after flopping bottom pair and trying to hit two with 2/7o. Fun game to play, until you watch hands taking 6 minutes to play with two people trying to basically bluff one another with air. Makes it hard to lose, but sometimes it crawls by. I think this is right, leave it the same BB SB and buy in, but basically just let them dig a hole until they learn they have to play better.

does make me wanna get the chance to play with better players, but that’ll come in due time it seems.

4 card PLO, 5 card PLO, Double Board 5 card PLO, 5 Card PLO8?
I don't really like hi/lo, and I can't stand BigO might as well play with wild cards imo, and I don't mind a bomb pot from time to time.

But the PLO I play is crazy, its a 1/2 with a mississp straddle 15 or 15 open raise, and if someone pushes they get 4 callers beggers to run it twice (two full boards) meh ... lots o action!

That's exactly what its like when I host. It sucks. 8 player tables. I'm often the 7th or 8th best player lol. I'm usually sitting at a table of pro's like @mike32 @WedgeRock @Marc Hedrick These guys are very solid.
I think we are all pretty solid with you just as good as any of us. Except @Marc Hedrick, he has taken it all to another level or two!

I don't really like hi/lo, and I can't stand BigO might as well play with wild cards imo, and I don't mind a bomb pot from time to time.

But the PLO I play is crazy, its a 1/2 with a mississp straddle 15 or 15 open raise, and if someone pushes they get 4 callers beggers to run it twice (two full boards) meh ... lots o action!
There really is plenty of strategy to hi/lo and Big O, in my opinion.

Game-wise, I wonder if a marginal improvement could come from a single .50 blind, plus a .50 dealer ante.
Honestly wondering, so open for discussion.
I honestly wait for advice.
If the blinds are flat (both same value), would it be better for the game to do away with one of them, and have it as dealer ante instead?
@grebe
@boltonguy
@DrStrange

So you play the hold'en of mixed games. Cool

If the blinds are flat (both same value), would it be better for the game to do away with one of them, and have it as dealer ante instead?
@grebe
@boltonguy
@DrStrange
I don't understand why you would want to make this change. Give the button even more reason to play the hand?

To make less family pots, probably.
The button is always suspect to chime in, one way or another.
But I can be wrong.

I think we are all pretty solid with you just as good as any of us. Except @Marc Hedrick, he has taken it all to another level or two!

I agree. I think Marc is the best player in the group. I think the rest of us are mostly playing with the same skill set. I do sincerely place you as one of the better players as well.

There really is plenty of strategy to hi/lo and Big O, in my opinion.

Absolutely. Anyone who thinks there isn't, simply doesn't play it enough.

@grebe
@boltonguy
@DrStrange
I don't really know... Probably wouldn't have an effect. You are disincentivizing one player that would be a blind from playing, however you add incentive to all the other players due to the dead money of the antes.

Usually, you would add antes to a cash game to induce action. But these guys won't pick up on this... They aren't seasoned enough... Thus it won't matter.

The only way to stop limpers from limping is to punish them for it. You need an aggressive player to come in and push them around. If you know there is a reasonable chance you are going to have to put in more money to play 64s UTG, you might rethink it.(see what I did there). If you think you can get away with it, why not limp?

Also, I would add that this game is NOT in need of being fixed. A couple of these players will figure out how to beat it and the rest will be donators or eventually find a new hobby if the money lost is too much. The host can't nor shouldn't do anything to fix this.

Your game is in the wild west of poker! Embrace it!

.50/.50 enables to do away with quarters and have just halves, instead, chip-wise.

Game-wise, I wonder if a marginal improvement could come from a single .50 blind, plus a .50 dealer ante.
Honestly wondering, so open for discussion.

At any rate, (to our OP) raise the hell pre-flop with solid hands from any position, and with speculative hands in position.
For new beginners that tend to limp and play passively or over aggressively, I don't think their plays will be affected by the bind or ante.

I think side game like 2-7 or Bomb Pot that are more simple to beginners are more effective for spicing up the game

For new beginners that tend to limp and play passively or over aggressively, I don't think their plays will be affected by the bind or ante.

I think side game like 2-7 or Bomb Pot that are more simple to beginners are more effective for spicing up the game
I think that is the opposite of what OP is trying to do here. He is trying to make the game play like a more standard "broken in" NLHE game. Games like yo mention induce action. Hell, every pot is a bomb pot if nobody folds!

IMO if you have 2 blinds they should not be flat. The small blind/worst position/UTG loses the small but slight advantage from only paying half the full blind & the big blind/2nd worst position loses the small tactical advantage by never getting the walk.

If 25/50 is too small for you game then move to 50/$1. IMO 50/50 plays no different than 25/50 except for screwing over the SB/BB. Or just go with 1 big blind instead.

My advice, don't change anything. Just play this game, crush it, and use the money to fund your chip hobby or another, harder, game. It's what I did.

I have a second game where it's the same stakes @ 25c/50c, but everyone is opening 5x bb and 3bets are $12-17. It's an expensive game if you can't stand the variance. I've actually am quitting playing in it because it got too big. I do pretty well for myself, but when you're playing with guys worth $100M plus, $100-300 buy-ins are nothing, and they play like it. Some of them are solid players too, so it's not like a room full of fish.

The problem is, I'm missing the first game with them, and they don't like it either because I bring the chips/cards/table and manage the buyins and deal.

People say this until they play at a table full of good players.

I do agree that playing with people that take forever sucks though.
This! I thought the same. I even made a similar thread about it. Now I'm playing in two games. My easy game that I still crush, and my game with wild players that has increased beyond my level of comfort. I can afford to lose $450 a night, but it's not fun.

If most pots are limped and the small blind always comes up, then .25/.50 and .50/.50 are essentially playing the same.

The only difference comes if the small blind folds.

If that only happens rarely, then you might as well make it .50/.50 to save a little time (the small blind checking rather than “coming up”).

You play with guys that are worth 100 million? Yikes!
2 of them are in the billion dollar club. And in the end, they’re just people.

One of my groups is just average dudes/chicks like myself. Normal Business owners. The big group I would say is full of guys with an average net worth in the $50m’s. Probably much higher. That’s the thing in my old town, the saying is “billionaires are pushing out the millionaires”. And it’s true.

My choice of having a .25 - .5 game vs. .5 - .5 would in fact depends on the chips I have.
If my frac is a 25c, then I would host a .25 - .5 game.
If my frac is a 50c, then I would host a .5 - .5 game.

I just hate to have a 2 chip small blind in a NL (or PL) cash game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom