giphy.gif

Driver: 9.5* Taylormade RBZ
3 Wood: Nike VR
Hybrid: Cleveland HiBore XL 19*
Irons: Nike VR Pro Forged Split Cavity 4-P
Wedges: Vokey SM5 52*, 56*
Putter: Ping G5i B60 SuperStroke Fatso
Ball: Titleist ProV 1x

Probably going to do a putter fitting for my birthday this month and get something new. I’ve had that putter for many many years but I think I need something different. Love everything else in my bag.

I went fuckin' nuts since this post. I had never been a gear guy, I had clubs and they worked so what else did I need? Well now I have gotten into building clubs and understanding what shaft profiles fit my swing. I have zero of the above clubs in my bag anymore. Two sets of Mizuno irons (JPX 900 and MP-32), and just finished tinkering with 3w shafts in a Titleist 917F. Ping G400 driver, Sub70 hybrid, Piretti putter, Cleveland wedges. A pile of pulled iron shafts. Eyeballing a Sub70 combo set of irons cause why the hell not.

Anyone need a stiff or xstiff 3w shaft? DG S300 iron shafts? Will trade for chips.

Hybrid - Taylormade M4 Rescue 4H
4-PW, AW - Taylormade M2
Putter - Taylormade TP Collection Chaska mallet putter

Just bought the putter and I really like the feel of it so far. Switched from a blade putter and don't think I'll ever go back.

My woods are all crap - those are the next in line to be upgraded.

4-PW, AW - Taylormade M2

Just bought the putter and I really like the feel of it so far. Switched from a blade putter and don't think I'll ever go back.

I said woods were next but recently I've done a ton of research on wedges and ended up getting a Ping Glide 3.0 56/14 WS. Can't wait to try it out on the course!

4-PW, AW - Taylormade M2

I recently switched from a Scotty blade to the Odyssey exo two ball putter. It’s an awesome putter And plays well on the greens on the public courses in my area - however I played trump international the other day and the greens were super fast. I found it hard to hit the ball soft enough given the weight of the putter. I did use the toe to deaden the shots. Any thoughts @PGA PRO?

I recently switched from a Scotty blade to the Odyssey exo two ball putter. It’s an awesome putter And plays well on the greens on the public courses in my area - however I played trump international the other day and the greens were super fast. I found it hard to hit the ball soft enough given the weight of the putter. I did use the toe to deaden the shots. Any thoughts @PGA PRO?
That's interesting. The Odyssey two ball putters do have a pretty big head on them. I considered them but honestly decided against them because of that.

EDIT: Can you change the weights?

That's interesting. The Odyssey two ball putters do have a pretty big head on them. I considered them but honestly decided against them because of that.

EDIT: Can you change the weights?
Don’t think weights matter. It’s just a heavy putter compared to a blade. It’s great on average speed greens.

Doesn’t matter can’t play worth shit
right now.

TM SLDR driver 12 degree regular
TM SLDR fairway 16 degree regular
TM SLDR hybrid 19 degree regular
Nike VRS 4-LW
Callaway Mack Daddy 56
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio 2
Srixon Q-Star Tour

Current Setup
Driver: 913d2 9.5* - Diamana D+ 70X - GP MCC Midsize (w/ extra build up tape - for all clubs)
Hybrid: 913h 19* - Diamana D+ 90X
Utility: 712u 3 or 4i - Project X 6.0
Irons: 710CB 5-PW - Project X 6.0
Wedges: Vokey SM5 50/54/58/62 - Project X 6.0 (50/54) 5.5 (58/62)
Putter: Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 - SuperStroke MidSlim 3.0
Balls: Volvik
Bag: Titleist Players 4 StaDry
CDD8C2AF-3C27-42CC-85F2-C47AFDB180CA.jpeg

Anyone have a set of p790s? What do you think of them?
I ordered a set a couple of weeks ago. Getting recoil shafts Installed. I will let u know what I think. I currently play with Calloway apex with recoil shafts.

I ordered a set a couple of weeks ago. Getting recoil shafts Installed. I will let u know what I think. I currently play with Calloway apex with recoil shafts.
I’m currently hitting rsi2’s and Im going to test a set of 790s tomorrow. I absolutely love my rsi2’s so it’s gonna be a tough sell. This P790s have a KBS Tour stiff shaft and the shaft is 120 grams which is on the heavy side. I’m going to do side by side testing tomorrow so we will see what happens. The heavier shaft will most likely cost me some distance and I’m not a long hitter (7i is only ~155) so I can’t really afford to lose much distance. We shall see.

I’m currently hitting rsi2’s and Im going to test a set of 790s tomorrow. I absolutely love my rsi2’s so it’s gonna be a tough sell. This P790s have a KBS Tour stiff shaft and the shaft is 120 grams which is on the heavy side. I’m going to do side by side testing tomorrow so we will see what happens. The heavier shaft will most likely cost me some distance and I’m not a long hitter (7i is only ~155) so I can’t really afford to lose much distance. We shall see.
Sorry man, I've always been a ping guy for my irons and cleveland guy for wedges.

I have a question for the good golfers out there: Do I really need a 3wood in my bag?

I'm thinking no for the following reasons:
  • I can't hit a wood off the fairway if my life depended on it. Right now I'm working on using my hybrid in practice, but when playing I've been sticking to my 4 iron. Basically, I rather have to hit two shots to reach the green instead of duffing my 3wood and having to hit two more shots anyway.
  • I hit my 5wood just as well as my 3wood off the tee. There's not a ton of difference in the distance to be honest.
  • If I really need to hit a distance that falls in the gap between my driver and my 5wood, I'd prefer to hit my driver and just take a little speed off the swing - something like an 80% swing. I find that I can be a lot more accurate with that type of shot anyway due to the size of the head on the driver compared to a 3wood.
  • Not using a 3wood allows me to include another wedge which I think will get more usage than a 3wood.
I know it's kind of strange to not have a 3wood, but I've read a couple things saying it might not be completely necessary. Just thought I'd ask for some opinions.

I am an 8 index. I go from driver to 4 hybrid, which I hit about 210-20. Off the tee I can bunt my driver to take off distance if necessary. I can reach any par 4 in 2 and even some short par 5s. No need for a 3 wood.

No point in taking up space in your bag with a club that don’t have confidence in. I was in the same boat for years. My game improved a bunch when I swapped out my woods for a hybrid and utility irons. And sometimes I even swap the hybrid for my utility 2 iron. Kind of depends on where my swing is during the year.

And while we are talking about golf, I have replaced all my irons with hybrids, except my 9 iron which I consider a strong wedge. My handicap has dropped like a rock. The 7 and 8 hybrids are such underrated clubs. I picked up 15 yards of distance compared to the irons and they are so easy to hit.

And while we are talking about golf, I have replaced all my irons with hybrids, except my 9 iron which I consider a strong wedge. My handicap has dropped like a rock. The 7 and 8 hybrids are such underrated clubs. I picked up 15 yards of distance compared to the irons and they are so easy to hit.
I only have my 3 hybrid that I've started practicing with and I really like it. Not sure if I'm ready to replace my other irons yet though.

Anyone have a set of p790s? What do you think of them?
played the last part of the season with my p790s. They are awesome clubs. higher ball flight then my apex. Sweet feel when the club hits the ball. Big thumbs up for these irons. Although keep in mind, I only use the 8,9,pw, and aw.

played the last part of the season with my p790s. They are awesome clubs. higher ball flight then my apex. Sweet feel when the club hits the ball. Big thumbs up for these irons. Although keep in mind, I only use the 8,9,pw, and aw.
Since that post I’ve added the set to my bag. 3i-PW. Love the set. It’s amazing. Still working them in the bag, and playing at lot less, but I’ve added about 11 yards to my clubs. I think it’s cause the iron lofts are strengthened and the clubs are longer. Either way, it’s a confidence boost for me when I’m 140 out and grabbing a 9i lol.

I've bought a handful. Mostly just stick to bigger sellers with solid reviews. Or if its something you're worried about, you can generally find some guides to help spot faked clubs by manufacturer.

Any of you guys ever buy clubs on eBay? if so, are you ever worried about fakes? How do you combat that?
I did before I knew about theory of fakes. I bought a set of Callaway Diablo Edge clubs. Never had issues with them, but lots of people say don’t buy on eBay.

I'm looking to replace my irons and I thought I'd look the route of used. I've been looking at callaway pre-owned and 2ndswing golf which I'm pretty sure won't be a problem for fakes. Started looking at eBay to see what was there and wasn't sure how much of an issue it would be.

I'm looking to replace my irons and I thought I'd look the route of used. I've been looking at callaway pre-owned and 2ndswing golf which I'm pretty sure won't be a problem for fakes. Started looking at eBay to see what was there and wasn't sure how much of an issue it would be.

Some of the sellers you mentioned are even on eBay. I don't think it's too worrisome, just pay attention to the seller and their history. If a deal is too good to be true, it is. Get a sense of what a used set should cost, and ignore anything that is way outside that range. If you find a listing and aren't too sure, I'd be happy to give it a look over to tell you my opinion, just send me a PM.

I shop at the Golfballs.com retail store. They typically have a HUGE pre-owned section, but I’m not sure they list the pre-owned inventory online. Also check out global golf.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom