What would you do? (1 Viewer)

Sparkynutz

Flush
Supporter Plus
Reaction score
The last time I played I had a major oops moment.
Holdem tournament 8 handed, I'm dealer I fold along with 5 others. Blind is $8/16 or something close to that.
I deal Flop, checks all around.
I deal Turn, 1st to act bets $100, 2nd calls, 3rd mumbles but moves no chips since they were eating and had hands in their food. I thought they said call and so did the other player next to me that folded (his nephew)
As I flip the River 3rd to act is pushing their chips in and they tell me they said all in, not call.
They did not see the card before pushing their chips in and I did not realize the mistake before flipping the card.
The first two players did not have a chance to call pre-river seeing the card. 1st to act calls, 2nd to act calls.
I apologized repeatedly and asked what to do and they all shugged it off saying not a big deal.
I personally think the 1st to act would have folded as they had no draw and nothing before seeing the River but ended pairing an Ace. 2nd to act had a low pair, 3rd to act was trying to bluff a straight or flush as possibilities as he typically does but did have a middle pair. First to act took 3rd to act out of the tournament and probably wouldn't have if I didn't screw up with the deal.
Luckily it was just $5 entry tournament but still feel bad. Definitely won't do that again. Atleast I won't. How would you handle that if it happened? If there is a next time and someone else does something similar, I'd like to have a game plan how to handle it the best way possible.
What do you think?

In the future, it's a good habit to rap the table before you burn. The burn card is a signal to everyone that the next street is coming. Rapping the table will provide even more time for players to speak up and tell you to stop.
^This. It's also on the dealer to confirm the mumble player's action BEFORE beginning to deal the next street.

If 3rd to act genuinely got it in before the river exposed, then it's a premature river. I think the rule is complete the action, shuffle it back into the stub, and redeal the river with no burn.
^ and this.

If the ruling is that 3rd to act is indeed all-in, then the dealt river card is premature and no longer valid. Action to call/fold/raise the all-in bet is back around to the original bettor. After all action is complete, the prematurely dealt river card is shuffled back into the deck stub, and a new river card is dealt (no new burn card is dealt).

If the ruling is that multiple people -- including the dealer -- heard the player say "call", then there is no all-in bet and the dealt river card stands with new post-river action on the 1st-to-act player.

Either way, the outcome is NEVER one where players get to act AFTER knowing what card is on the river.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom