What stack are you shuffling now? (1 Viewer)

Day 3 they looked like this
IMG_3767.JPG

IMG_3768.JPG

IMG_3772.JPG

I took the 3 day old shuffled stacked and cleaned them twice by oiling them and rubbing the oil off and they looked like this compared to a mint stack
IMG_3773.JPG

IMG_3774.JPG

so the cleaned chips looked like this
IMG_3775.JPG

IMG_3777.JPG

The mint chips are on the left an the cleaned chips are on the right
IMG_3780.JPG

so it appears that oiling chips prior to using them makes it easier to clean with just reoiling them; preventing permanent color transfer.
Obviously, since I didn't use a stack of non oiled chips with this experiment to compare to the oiled chips it may be that oiling makes no difference.
It should be noted that even after wiping them off twice with oil there was some color transfer. Still all in all I was very pleased with how these chips clean up
after 3 days of continuous shuffling. I don't think it would be a bad idea to oil chips before putting them into play if you're interested in minimizing color transfer.

Last edited:
View attachment 281515
View attachment 281516
View attachment 281517
so it appears that oiling chips prior to using them makes it easier to clean with just reoiling them; preventing permanent color transfer.
Obviously, since I didn't use a stack of non oiled chips with this experiment to compare to the oiled chips it may be that oiling makes no difference.
It should be noted that even after wiping them off twice with oil there was some color transfer. Still all in all I was very pleased with how these chips clean up
after 3 days of continuous shuffling. I don't think it would be a bad idea to oil chips before putting them into play if you're interested in minimizing color transfer.
Thanks for this write up, I have never oiled chips or experienced color transfer like this but now after seeing the chips after 3 days I may look into oiling them.... what I don’t get is i have other chips that been used every week for 2 years and no color transfers as such and never been oiled

Can't explain chips without color transfer after long periods of shuffling. Blue and red chips are the worse offenders but I've seen it with green, purple and black chips too. It happens to me with Paulson chips whether I oil them or not. Someone in another thread talk about oiling them and then using a flammable sealant. :LOL: :laugh:Pretty funny thread. It does seem like pre-oiling seals the chips allowing easier cleaning with reoiling. I have a stack of blue Park MGM chips I've been shuffling on and off for weeks that I didn't pre-oil. I'm going to try cleaning them off with more oiling and see what happens.

Last edited:
So I have these Park MGM chips that I never oiled because they're Dark Blue and peach and I never thought oiling would help. I just started shuffling a stack several weeks ago and they have been getting blue color transfer on the peach inserts which looks pretty cool because it brings out the lettering on the house mold. I decided I would clean them with oil the way I did with the $5 red Jacks. I oiled them and then wiped them off and reoiled and wiped them and then repeated it again. I wanted to compare the results with the Jacks chips with the idea that pre-oiling chips before putting them into play ( Shuffling) would allow for better cleaning afterwards. So, I know, I'm comparing Red chips to Blue chips but here's what I got.... I divided the dirty stack in half and only cleaned 10 chips leaving the other ten chips uncleaned.
IMG_3804.JPG
For comparison I juxtaposed a stack of mint Park MGMs next to the three times cleaned chips. The mint chips are bottom right and the cleaned chips are in the middle.
They still cleaned up pretty good but not as well as the red Jack chips that were pre-oiled. Here's another comparison: the cleaned chips on the left and the mint chips on the right
IMG_3806.JPG

IMG_3809(1).JPG

So what have I learned from this?
1. Its fun to shuffle chips and grind them down, then clean them off, take pictures off them, and post pictures on PCF, and pretend this is science.
2. Pre-oiling chips probably makes it easier to prevent color transfer.
3 This is a flawed exercise because I'm comparing results with red chips against blue chips without controls. Kinda like apples and oranges.
4. It would be make more sense to just get an ultra sonic cleaner.
5 If I had any sense I would not waste my time shuffling and oil cleaning chips on a Sunday afternoon.

View attachment 281515
View attachment 281516
View attachment 281517
Never been into the whole thing of oiling chips. However, this is interesting. Thank you for taking the time to document and share these observations and photos!

Am I the only one who doesn't shuffle my chips unless I'm playing?

If I did that I’d rarely handle chips, and I’ve put too much time and effort into this hobby to not actually handle them at all.

If I played cards once a week or more, I would likely be less interested in shuffling chips away from the table.

Been shuffling the barrel on the left for maaany hours since I got my jacks. Been using only this one barrel, just to see how they would wear down after time. Just cleaned them today and took this stack height picture to show the difference vs a mint barrel. They shuffle great now by the way.

IMG_20190512_140407.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 281515
View attachment 281516
View attachment 281517
did you ever try a test where you just rinse a barrel of mint dusty chalky chips in warm water and try shuffling them to see if color transfers as what u found.... i think by rinsing them prior they will be fine

So I've been shuffling some Jack 100's. These came as extra's with other orders so I oiled them first and then spent the last 3-4 days shuffling them.
As you might guess there was a lot of color transfer and they went from mint to this
IMG_4034.JPG
IMG_4037.JPG

By applying a large amount of oil to these chips and wiping them off several time they now look like this
IMG_4040.jpg

IMG_4042.jpg

Now back to shuffling these babies and grinding them down some more.
IMG_4047.JPG

IMG_4048.JPG

So I've been shuffling some Jack 100's. These came as extra's with other orders so I oiled them first and then spent the last 3-4 days shuffling them.
As you might guess there was a lot of color transfer and they went from mint to this
View attachment 314219View attachment 314222
By applying a large amount of oil to these chips and wiping them off several time they now look like this
View attachment 314224
View attachment 314226
Now back to shuffling these babies and grinding them down some more.
View attachment 314228
View attachment 314229

Looks great even after shuffling/re-oiling...

Been going back and forth between my WTHC Paulsons and my CPC wedding favors from a couple years back.
IMG_4422.JPG

The CPCs seem to wear faster and have more pronounced color transfer than the Paulsons.
IMG_4406.JPG

IMG_4443.JPG

IMG_4438.JPG

IMG_4439.JPG

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom