Tourney What is your tournament preference? (1 Viewer)

What format do you prefer most?

• Total voters
But broader strategy is punished in tournaments because the ultimate penalty of elimination forces cautious play.
Both of these thoughts are simply not true (broader strategy is punished: threat of elimination forces caution).

Might be ~your~ way of dealing with it, however.

Tournament play/strategy has nearly all of the nuances of cash play, plus many more that are format- and situation-specific.

But it's pretty self evident, especially when you get into pay jumps. Gaining is less good than losing is bad. That is what forces the strategy I describe.
It's true that tournament dollars are asymmetric - the next T$100 you bet is worth more than the previous T$100 you bet, and the same amount of tournament chips has a different value to different players - but that doesn't mandate conservative play. I'm curious to see a fuller explication of your argument.

but that doesn't mandate conservative play. I'm curious to see a fuller explication of your argument.
If I were to making an argument, "mandate" would be too strong a word. Obviously there are times for a aggression, there are bluffs to be made. There are still value bets to be won.

But it is the effect you describe that really diminishes that side of the strategy toolbox.

Tournaments are the only construct where you can actually correctly come up with situations to fold 95%-100% of hands preflop for a simple example.

It's a skill to figure these spots out for sure, I am not arguing that tournaments are devoid of skill, but merely that tournament structures and proportional payouts favor survival over aggression.

1619708338594.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom