What is the worst/most offensive word? (1 Viewer)

What is the worst/most offensive word?

• "C*nt"

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Not "c*nt" - respond in thread, but use asterisks because we are children

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters
the reason racial/ethnic/religious/orientation slurs are perceived as worse that something like "pig", for instance, is that they attempt to denigrate an individual or class of individuals on the basis of an immutable characteristic, a characteristic intrinsic to an individual over which the he/she has no control*. use of the term implies that the individual in question is inferior on the basis of a characteristic which he/she cannot change.

the reason the n-word itself is sometimes perceived as the most offensive of these types of slurs - at least in the US - is due to the awareness of the reprehensible history of the treatment of blacks in the US. speaking for myself, for someone to know the history and to still use the term is indicative of extreme callousness. the callousness exhibited rather than the word itself is what is offensive.

as for whether it is "more acceptable" based on the use of the term by black people themselves, i suppose that can be your judgment. many people will find that to be an ignorant position and will think less of you for it. i heard this dyanmic addressed recently in the context of the word "tranny". someone took offense at being told he couldn't say "tranny" anymore. another responded that he could say it all he wanted, but odds are he's going to end up hanging around exclusively with people who think it's acceptable to say "tranny". seems to me to be a pretty way to think about it.

*debatable as to religion, but in that context it is used the vast, vast majority of the time with relation to the religion in which one is born, not the one chosen by the individual

I understand the supposed increase in offensiveness of the words; ie your "ability" to choose to be degraded vs not. The underlying point is they are all disrespectful and to me they are just words therefore equally disrespectful. I used to be very prejudice,until I learned that one of my good friends was gay (fifteen years ago), needless to say he did not cease being my friend, and I went through some soul searching. If I told you I still didn't have some prejudices I would be lying, however they tend to be in other parts of my life other than racial/sexual, I'm pretty sure you are not human if you do not have some. According to some "civil rights" leaders "thug" is the new n*gg*r......making a person wonder why the word needs a replacement if it carries such weight

I understand the supposed increase in offensiveness of the words; ie your "ability" to choose to be degraded vs not. The underlying point is they are all disrespectful and to me they are just words therefore equally disrespectful. I used to be very prejudice,until I learned that one of my good friends was gay (fifteen years ago), needless to say he did not cease being my friend, and I went through some soul searching. If I told you I still didn't have some prejudices I would be lying, however they tend to be in other parts of my life other than racial/sexual, I'm pretty sure you are not human if you do not have some. According to some "civil rights" leaders "thug" is the new n*gg*r......making a person wonder why the word needs a replacement if it carries such weight

actually reading all this makes me think that "offended" might be the worst word. it's pretty much lost all meaning in the sense that it's thrown around so liberally with the only real intention being to shut up whoever has spoken. (sidenote: cool subject line and poll question wording obv) but i digress...

i can't recall honestly harboring any belief about the inferiority of any other class of people, but i have definitely held beliefs that i would not consider antiquated to put it mildly. i remember in my teens not understanding support for gay rights, for instance. my wife likes to make the point that people too often judge others as bigoted when in reality they're just not moving as quickly as those doing the judging would prefer. that said, there's a lot of value in putting social pressure on those who are morally behind the times; it just needs to be a productive kind of pressure.

as for thug being the new n-word, i don't think the argument is that they are necessarily equal in their impact, but rather than thug functions as a dog whistle to signal to prejudiced people that the speaker shares their prejudice.

C*nt used to be a nasty word, pre-GOT. Now, thanks to Sandor Clegane, it's just hilarious.

DJvybrp.jpg

I prefer the George Carlin saying of using my favorite word in every part of a sentence.

Fuck the fucking fuckers.

Here's the problem with derogatory words when not used in a hurtful (i.e.a humorous) manner. Comedians have a way of making pejorative terms an acceptable part of our vernacular. We laugh because it's funny. We reiterate the same joke using the same words, but may be less funny (we're not all George Carlin), then eventually we are just using the key words from the joke. When an outsider hears this, someone that is not familiar with the joke, they can become offended, even outraged, despite the fact that you forgot that the term is patently offensive.

My personal case in point, was using "Beat him like a red-headed stepchild". Saying this in front of a 6 year old, that I simply did not know was in fact, a red-headed step child. I was the ass, inferring it was acceptable to abuse this kid, even though that was not my intent (I was referring to a score at a ball game). It was an old joke. It is commonly acceptable. It is offensive.

As to members of a particular community tossing around racial slurs, that rolls onto either ignorance or friendships. I can say things to my friends (even hurl insults) that are not offensive to them, but is an outsider used the same exact words, they would wind up shunned, beaten, or shot. I can tell my sister that her dress makes her look like a slut, but if you say it...

Here's the problem with derogatory words when not used in a hurtful (i.e.a humorous) manner. Comedians have a way of making pejorative terms an acceptable part of our vernacular. We laugh because it's funny. We reiterate the same joke using the same words, but may be less funny (we're not all George Carlin), then eventually we are just using the key words from the joke. When an outsider hears this, someone that is not familiar with the joke, they can become offended, even outraged, despite the fact that you forgot that the term is patently offensive.

My personal case in point, was using "Beat him like a red-headed stepchild". Saying this in front of a 6 year old, that I simply did not know was in fact, a red-headed step child. I was the ass, inferring it was acceptable to abuse this kid, even though that was not my intent (I was referring to a score at a ball game). It was an old joke. It is commonly acceptable. It is offensive.

As to members of a particular community tossing around racial slurs, that rolls onto either ignorance or friendships. I can say things to my friends (even hurl insults) that are not offensive to them, but is an outsider used the same exact words, they would wind up shunned, beaten, or shot. I can tell my sister that her dress makes her look like a slut, but if you say it...

Look, I agree there are some things you might want to avoid saying in front of kids, especially in front of red headed step children. However, in adult company, the intent of the words should trump the word choice.

I will agree that if you are the kind of person who is going to use the words c*nt and n*gger regularly, you are going to limit your circle of friends who put up with you to those that are accepting of such language.

I don't believe that words should have power. I think ideas should have power. As a result I put my foot in my mouth a lot. But despite that, I also usually know when it is appropriate to use c*nt and when it isn't, and there is never misogyny intended when I use it. The unfortunate reality is that words do have power, and it is because people can't separate the symbol from the intended meaning. This is why I am a misanthrope rather than a misogynist, I hate all people equally, mostly because they are incapable of independent thinking, and intelligent thought, and as a result we have a world that is getting over run with crazy shit like this.

Oops, did I just say shit? Would it have been less offensive if I said "stuff"? Why is the one word more or less offensive than the other, when the sentence has the exact same literal meaning either way?

as for thug being the new n-word, i don't think the argument is that they are necessarily equal in their impact, but rather than thug functions as a dog whistle to signal to prejudiced people that the speaker shares their prejudice.

I would agree with this for the most part.

I prefer the George Carlin saying of using my favorite word in every part of a sentence.

Fuck the fucking fuckers.

On my private Tar Heel board, we frequently abbreviate FTFdF! (Fuck The Fucking dookie Fucks!)

fifty posts, and i still think the correct answer is jbutler. fuck the fucking fucker, the fucked up fuck.

interesting bringing up "thug". I guess for me, given recent stories in the news, I would be prone to associate it with black people, while I'd associate "punk" more with white people.

'spastic' carries some weight.

Generally I'm in agreement that words are words and it's a subjective topic, dependent on the individual's belief system.

I'm hoping this thread is heading towards a custom set along the lines of C U Next Tuesday by boondocker..? JB's c*nt Club maybe?

Look, I agree there are some things you might want to avoid saying in front of kids, especially in front of red headed step children. However, in adult company, the intent of the words should trump the word choice.

I will agree that if you are the kind of person who is going to use the words c*nt and n*gger regularly, you are going to limit your circle of friends who put up with you to those that are accepting of such language.

I don't believe that words should have power. I think ideas should have power. As a result I put my foot in my mouth a lot. But despite that, I also usually know when it is appropriate to use c*nt and when it isn't, and there is never misogyny intended when I use it. The unfortunate reality is that words do have power, and it is because people can't separate the symbol from the intended meaning. This is why I am a misanthrope rather than a misogynist, I hate all people equally, mostly because they are incapable of independent thinking, and intelligent thought, and as a result we have a world that is getting over run with crazy shit like this.

Oops, did I just say shit? Would it have been less offensive if I said "stuff"? Why is the one word more or less offensive than the other, when the sentence has the exact same literal meaning either way?

I too am not easily offended unless the insult is directed toward me. However, it does not mean the word is inoffensive, it is just inoffensive to me.

My pet peve words lately are any insults with their roots in homophobia. People hurl "That's so gay", or "you fag" about without consideration of the actual hurt tossed about with the word. Even I may get short with insults like c**k-sucker, but that is insulting to both the gay community and really awesome women.

Yes, I use many of the offensive terms listed in this thread. Words do have power. They absolutely should. It is the basis of poetry. The power of the word, just like music can soothe or incite. Sometimes, we need words that carry more weight. When the US says "Mr Putin, move out of Crimea" Putin can easily ignore it. When they say, Mr. Putin, move the fuck out of Crimea", you know mobilization is close at hand. The operative difference here is 1 word. 1 powerful word.

That is my goal. Not to eliminate these words, and not to create a touchy-feely world. I simply want people to be aware that words can be offensive.

Besides there are many better ways to insult someone you don't like without demeaning an entire race, gender, or other population. Feel free to use in your next argument:
  • Goddamn slimy fuck-stick
  • You ingrown ass-hair
  • 3 more IQ points and you could be a tree (this may in fact be insulting to trees)
  • I'm condescending? Do you even know what that means?
...and a personal favorite when in an argument with someone who's whole position relies on their Christian faith, but they have devolved to just calling you names: Say nothing, stand with your feet together, arms extended out from to the sides, and slowly droop your head.

That is my goal. Not to eliminate these words, and not to create a touchy-feely world. I simply want people to be aware that words can be offensive.

Yup. Words can be offensive. That is why I don't use a lot of words in some contexts, and use them gleefully in others. When using them for shock value or humor, using the power of words does 2 things (in my mind). It makes use on the inordinate power we give to them, and hopefully erodes some of the power in the process.

When I was a kid, c*nt was used all the time. In the '90s (from my perspective), it became the C-word. It seemed all of the sudden the word was off the list of "acceptable" vulgarities under any circumstance. I use it sparingly, but in the right situations for me socially, and mostly to try to de-stigmatize an otherwise perfectly good word.

My sister was in a band in the late '80s that was 3 chicks and a guy, and they called themselves See You Next Tuesday. The women embraced that. Who am I to tell them they were wrong?

As for the power of words being a good thing, in service of poetry, I have to disagree. For one thing, it does not hold up over time. The power of words ebbs and flows. Additionally, it is the imagery, word play, sounds, etc. that make most poetry/song lyrics powerful, not the use of "powerful" words.

This is of course the perspective of the mildly aspergery human that I am.

There was a time when cursing at someone was considered an art form. In the days of the American Revolution, it is said that the members of the Continental Congress would insult one another with long, artfully constructed cursing insults, making the members -- and even the recipient of the insults -- laugh. (Something of a twisted form of entertainment.)

Now, Jerry Seinfeld, Chris Rock and others have pointed out that young people have become too politically correct, and too quick to take offense.

Sad, really...

and mostly to try to de-stigmatize an otherwise perfectly good word.

The question then becomes "what is a perfectly good word"? If you try to desensitize, for instance, the N-word, you will perhaps erode the power you (or those often around you) think the word has, but outside of those circles, the word will still carry a great deal of offensive value. Comedians like Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock are in a position to make thousands, perhaps millions of people desensitized to the offensive words. That does not mean though, that it not offensive to tens of millions of other people.

Also, I find it interesting that Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock would find young people too politically correct. Seinfield was called out as being racist for his portrayal of a nearly all white New York (his friendship with Michael Richards and his videoed racist rant didn't help), and Chris Rock has a slew of racist humor.

Yes, people can be too sensitive. Thug? Get out of my face. A thug is a violent criminal. Used to describe the violent protesters in Baltimore, it is appropriate - even if you agree that there must be a stand against police brutality. C*nt? I guess that's a little like being called a dick-hole. You're probably not going to find it very nice, but there must be 1 other factor you should look at: the power of someone using the word.

I am a white male. Although I don't wield much power myself, I appear to descend from those who forced slaves to work for them, forced natives off their land so we could have it, went to war with Greeks (who's man on man lifestyle was acceptable at the time), and held crusades, and inquisitions. Many men have beaten women, far fewer women have beaten men. I remember no time when women prevented men from voting. Sex discrimination in voting is less than 100 years old in the US. Gay marriage is still banned in many parts of the civilized world. Sexist slurs, racist slurs, and homophobic slurs aren't just the word, they're the person wielding it. Friends tossing insults at each other i no big deal, because among friends, no-one holds the power.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom