What is a "Grail" set? (1 Viewer)

Basic laws of physics.....
  • RHC chips cannot be grail chips.
  • Oversize inlay chips cannot be grail chips.
  • Solid-color chips cannot be grail chips.
  • Hot-stamped chips cannot be grail chips.
  • Plastic chips cannot be grail chips.
  • Ceramic chips cannot be grail chips.
Can't alter the rules of nature. :)

What if the solid color and/or hot stamps are part of the set? For example, weren't old-timey fractionals usually solid hot stamps?

So you are saying grail chips don’t exist?

No grail set will ever be in a classified. If it's a grail set you don't sell it.

Not sure I totally agree with this definition either, but you make a good point about whether or not it's a grail set in the sellers eyes

Completely agree. In fact I had started a reply to myself explaining that a grail set could be bought in the classifieds, but the term Grail Set could never be used in the sellers description because one simply does not sell a Holy Grail. However I didn’t finish the post, so it never got posted to the thread.

I think by definition there can be only one Grail set. Per chipper that is... and it can change as you change as a collector, but every time you say ‘this is my grail set’ and change your mind it diminishes the specialness of whatever your next grail set is, so it is a term that should be used with great care. Almost whispered like “The Great White Buffalo”.

A grail set isn’t merely your favorite chip set. It is your All-Time chip set.

Yeah, I amped up the drama here, but we’re talking about Holy Freaking Grails, right?

Last edited:
I can see why all of those might be considered 'grail' sets by some chippers; just not by me. Aztars and Palms are close, but fly in the face of grail set physics (see list above).

At least nobody's posted a common Paulson home set as a grail set (wthc, cdi, etc) although I've seen them referred to as grail sets in various board posts. /sigh/

@kmccormick100 He said it not me. Rules are rules.

I think most confuse a grail set with a dream set.

Grail set for me is that rare one of a kind set. It's basically unobtainable, even with buckets of cash. They belong under glass, displayed, and maybe hit the felt for that truely special game.

Dream sets are highly sought after, but the normal person with enough patience and money can put one together. Most of the sets listed here are dream sets, few, if any, are grail sets.

I used to think my PCAs were grail, but nope, I was wrong. Anyone can put together a set of them. There's plenty of them out there. Basically, if more than 1, maybe 2, people have a set of them, they are not a grail set.

I think most confuse a grail set with a dream set.

Grail set for me is that rare one of a kind set. It's basically unobtainable, even with buckets of cash. They belong under glass, displayed, and maybe hit the felt for that truely special game.

Dream sets are highly sought after, but the normal person with enough patience and money can put one together. Most of the sets listed here are dream sets, few, if any, are grail sets.

I used to think my PCAs were grail, but nope, I was wrong. Anyone can put together a set of them. There's plenty of them out there. Basically, if more than 1, maybe 2, people have a set of them, they are not a grail set.

Agreed, a lot of us use the term casually to describe the set we are chasing at that time

All sets deserve to hit the felt, even grail sets. If you own a grail set and are waiting for something special... Happy Tuesday! Now, let's play.
Agreed. If you are never going to put a set of chips into play, then sell them to someone who will. But if you have actually have a true grail set, I'm not sure that should be your weekly game set? But maybe it should be? I used to equate a grail set with chalky and minty fresh, but that is not necessarily true. So sure, if you have a grail set and want to, stack'em up and deal (and invite me :tup:).

View attachment 259689View attachment 259690View attachment 259691View attachment 259692These by far are my holy grail set.
Just unreal in everyway and the only set of its kind ANYWHERE. Its rare. its colors are incredible and there is something else about these chips that I will share in another thread soon. Until then enjoy - its an insane story
Colors and edgespots are amazeballs. But those identical oversized white inlays covering the whole face mean that it is really hard to quickly surmise a pot since the only distinguishing feature is a skinny flash of color on each chip.

Ooops....you forgot a law.

Must contain the letters T.......R.......K in the manufacturer's name. ;):D

By definition grail is a very difficult to obtain object or quest. It does not define it as being the prettiest or the most expensive.

The use of the word grail has been used a long time by collectors as their most prized sought after item.

Also, Jesus jokes are not really that funny imo. Anyway carry on

I'm with the crowd that believes a grail set is highly subjective, difficult to obtain, and never being pried from your fingers once you do have it.

It mildly annoys me to see so many "grail" sets advertised in the classifieds, but marketers gonna market I guess.

to me it always meant something that you're chasing that isn't easily attainable. it's some form of ultimate end goal in whatever hobby it is you are involved. i am close to folks who collect cars and watches who use the term as well and to them it typically means to acquire the piece that will be the crown jewel of their collection.

but marketers gonna market I guess.
Yeah, but market to whom? Which garners more interest, the word "Grail" or a well lit properly white balanced photo?

If you want to move the chips, take 10 minutes, a white surface, and get in good light when you take the photo. Leave "Grail" to the eBay sellers moving chips to the uninitiated.

Grail set is obviously subjective.. though many people will have the same "Grail" sets.
I guess it is a favorite, nearly unobtainable set. May be nearly unobtainable due to quantity or funds, etc.
I feel like I have a couple, even though that may contradict what people consider Grail (as in one Holy Grail)
Obviously the RVCLs are one (and probably "the" one if it came down to it)... even though I had a sliver of hope that I might acquire Some I was fully accepting that I would never put a set of them together.
That said, it didn't stop me from digging and digging for a couple of years.
It was a combo of work and luck (some believe luck is created, at least partially, by effort).
Mapes are another set I considered a Grail set.. again got lucky and had the means to acquire a (pretty much... still need more $1s) playable set.
My 8v 43mm mixed set is kind of a Grail set.. but mostly due to the Horseshoe Gardena $500s (which I only know of 1 other rack in existence).
The other chips in the set are also great, but in more plentiful quantities.

Here is a little bean spilling.. 3 racks of my RVCL $5s came from Spinettis! :eek::eek::eek:
Sitting right under our noses for who knows how long!
Mikko told me he didn't remember when or where he got them (he only had the 3 racks of $5s and a few racks each of the $25 pri and sec)
It was a fluke that I found out he had them when discussing other chips with Mikko.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom