Tourney What do busted players do? (1 Viewer)

I like the idea of those who bust out regretting their decisions on the bad plays they made as the first few sit around and steam. This serves a purpose to butter them up nicely in the cash game as they are usually on tilt and will continue to make horrible decisions playing cash.

In all seriousness though, I plan to implement time limits. During the week will be no later than 11pm. Because I work in a business that sees us working 5 out of every 6 weekends this is easy enough. On the weekends off, 1am is my cap. Anything more than that doesn't make sense.

Drink and chat and talk about the hand that busted you, or the "big loss" that led to the hand that busted you. Watch the end of the game.

Frankly if it's a more social game, busting can be a great thing so long as it isn't the first hand - it'll give you time to chat with other busted players, sometimes people you wouldn't normally get a chance to chat with!

For my next tournament, before there is enough player to start a cash or side smaller tournament, I'm planning turn on my Odroid (Rapsberry Pi-like micro computer) I turned into a retro-gaming console with games like Super Mario Kart, Street Fighter, Bomberman, ...

Once there are 4 busted players (I run STT), I start a small side tourney "winner takes all" or cash game in a variant that is not used very often (ex : mixed game Hi-Lo NL 5 cards draw, ...).

Have 3 players who don’t plays tours arrive 2 hours after the tour begins
They will be the cashgame base, and the game runs when players bust the tour

I'll have a rebuy period (usually with total rebuy limits) and after that point, when people bust they bust. Usually holding weeknight tourneys so unless someone is mopping the floor with everyone and it's going to end early, we do not hold a cash game after.

We've played high stakes ($3) NL tourneys on and off for 20 years. A high stakes side game ($1 tourney) usually started up once players busted. When the main game finished up, they would chop up the other tournament and we'd start all over.

The last couple years I convinced everyone to switch to denominational chips to get more realistic tourney play. I'm happy to report or stakes have also grown with the times (Can anyone say $5 buy in???) The dollar tournament still plays though. I got tired of people stealing the tourney chips for the side game, so I picked up a few racks of $1 chips so they can pull those out instead.

We've played high stakes ($3) NL tourneys on and off for 20 years. A high stakes side game ($1 tourney) usually started up once players busted. When the main game finished up, they would chop up the other tournament and we'd start all over.

The last couple years I convinced everyone to switch to denominational chips to get more realistic tourney play. I'm happy to report or stakes have also grown with the times (Can anyone say $5 buy in???) The dollar tournament still plays though. I got tired of people stealing the tourney chips for the side game, so I picked up a few racks of $1 chips so they can pull those out instead.
A $3 buy-in for a tournament? Here I was thinking my $15 buy-in is about the lowest I've heard of. Honest question - for $3 dollars, why not just play for $0? Those who are going to play for the glory/the game will still play well. Those who are going to donk off because it's free are basically going to do the same at $3. So this just prevents the whole bank PITA factor.

Play cash, smoke cigars and annoy hostesses..
Oh yeah... badbeat stories all night long...

A $3 buy-in for a tournament? Here I was thinking my $15 buy-in is about the lowest I've heard of. Honest question - for $3 dollars, why not just play for $0? Those who are going to play for the glory/the game will still play well. Those who are going to donk off because it's free are basically going to do the same at $3. So this just prevents the whole bank PITA factor.
Lol a lot of people would say the same thing about $15 tournaments. Fewer but a non zero number of people would say that about $100 tournaments. I’m sure there is a high roller out there that would say the same about $1k tournaments.

In my experience people play for stakes that work for them.

I played $15 tournaments for 10 years. I’d still do it with the right crowd although I’d prefer to play a little bigger.

Your response did make me laugh a bit though because your own tournament isn’t that much bigger than the $3 one.

Yeah, I made the decision at the end of last year to boost my buy-ins from $20 to $30. I expected to hear some groaning, but in the big picture, it's still just enough to make you want to win, but even the constant loser won't go broke.

I did have one player (at $20) decide that it was too much to lose. Maybe I should have thrown a $3 game for him.

So you need to get in the way back machine about 20 years when it was myself, my poor college friends, and my poorer brothers high school friends starting our weekly game. Over the years we just never really grew out of the stakes.

And personally, I HATE playing for nothing. No one takes it seriously. When you're envisioning yourself as the Fossilman himself, you've got to play for at least a little money to keep everyone honest. The guys I play with make enough stupid moves even when they were playing for money.
My first Guess it’s a turbo SnG format if it only $1 & $3 not your usual 6-8hr tourney
Exactly right. When we first started, we each got 30 non denom chips, and it was all 1 to 1 value. We easily got 3 - 4 tourneys in per night, not including the side games. In all, we probably still played 6 - 8 hours every time, but everyone hung out pretty much the whole time because they'd have another chance to play in 90 minutes even if you busted early.
Lol a lot of people would say the same thing about $15 tournaments. Fewer but a non zero number of people would say that about $100 tournaments. I’m sure there is a high roller out there that would say the same about $1k tournaments.

In my experience people play for stakes that work for them.

I played $15 tournaments for 10 years. I’d still do it with the right crowd although I’d prefer to play a little bigger.

Your response did make me laugh a bit though because your own tournament isn’t that much bigger than the $3 one.
Let me be the first to say that if it were up to me, we'd raise our current stakes 5x at minimum to bring us a little closer to a decent purse. We haven't even kept up with inflation at our rate.

All told though, one of my best friends was concerned when I was talking about raising the stakes again because he didn't want to get priced out of the game. For that reason alone, I'm good taking any changes slow. I'd rather see my one buddy 12 times a year at the table than to have a moderately higher stake at the table. If I want higher stakes, I could find some without too much effort.

The truth is I could always find games though, easy games, tough games, straight games, crooked games, home games. I can turn this truck onto the Jersey Turnpike and be at the Taj in (twenty) two hours

So you need to get in the way back machine about 20 years when it was myself, my poor college friends, and my poorer brothers high school friends starting our weekly game. Over the years we just never really grew out of the stakes.

And personally, I HATE playing for nothing. No one takes it seriously. When you're envisioning yourself as the Fossilman himself, you've got to play for at least a little money to keep everyone honest. The guys I play with make enough stupid moves even when they were playing for money.

Exactly right. When we first started, we each got 30 non denom chips, and it was all 1 to 1 value. We easily got 3 - 4 tourneys in per night, not including the side games. In all, we probably still played 6 - 8 hours every time, but everyone hung out pretty much the whole time because they'd have another chance to play in 90 minutes even if you busted early.

Let me be the first to say that if it were up to me, we'd raise our current stakes 5x at minimum to bring us a little closer to a decent purse. We haven't even kept up with inflation at our rate.

All told though, one of my best friends was concerned when I was talking about raising the stakes again because he didn't want to get priced out of the game. For that reason alone, I'm good taking any changes slow. I'd rather see my one buddy 12 times a year at the table than to have a moderately higher stake at the table. If I want higher stakes, I could find some without too much effort.

The truth is I could always find games though, easy games, tough games, straight games, crooked games, home games. I can turn this truck onto the Jersey Turnpike and be at the Taj in (twenty) two hours
Lot of people play just for the fun of playing poker, not for the money.

Just keep the stake at what is comfortable for your group. no need to make huge adjustment, you can always try to take baby step in adjustment thou if your group are comfortable with it

That’s awesome. I’ve got pinball set up at my place as well. But usually guys just grab something to eat if they bust before the second table is ready for cash. Cash starts as soon as the table frees up.
View attachment 687431View attachment 687430
I am not going to lie I wouldn't probably shove on the first hand so i'd have more time to play pinball till the cash game started.

Lot of people play just for the fun of playing poker, not for the money.

Just keep the stake at what is comfortable for your group. no need to make huge adjustment, you can always try to take baby step in adjustment thou if your group are comfortable with it
That's why I'm always looking for a buy-in that people won't mind losing, but a win that people would find worth playing for. Also, I like to pay out multiple spots so there is a bubble, not just winner-take-all. People like to win, so more people in the money is better. At $15 I feel it's a tad too low. It would be nice to see a $100+ first place. That feels like decent money! I'm planning on raising my stakes to $20 next year, which will give a $90 first place at a full table (9 people for me, 50%/30%/20% pay-out). That's close enough for now. If I get push back from the basically 1, maybe 2 guys, who might balk at $20, I might leave it at $15.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom