Tourney Weird chip structure (1 Viewer)

dlipu123

Reaction score
Hello, my friend has some weird chips with values 5,10, 25, 50, and 100 (we usually play without 5). And every game is random with how many chips of each value each one of us gets, but I feel it's not how we should play and I would like to play with proper structure. But I don't know how to set up with those chips, how many of each chips we get and what would blinds be. If you have any ideas please let me know. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

You can play poker with nearly any combination of chips, but certain breakdowns are more common, more convenient, and more efficient (i.e. you don't need to use as many chips which means you can save money when you're buying a new set). We can help you figure out what will best suit your game, whether you keep using your existing chips or decide to invest in a new set. But we'll need to know a little more about your game first.

For starters, are you playing cash games or tournaments? If you're not sure, then that's the first thing we'll need to discuss in order to help you further.

If cash, what are your stakes, i.e. what are the big blind and small blind? How much do people usually buy in for? How much money is usually on the table by the end of the night? If you're not sure what all that means, that's the second thing we'll need to discuss in order to help you.

Hello, we play only tournaments, but we don't have chips with a high denomination, only ones as I mentioned and I don't think we plan to buy another one yet...We like shorter tournaments, so in the span of a couple of hours, we can play 3-4 tournaments. I found on web chip structures and blinds, but only for those with high denominations. Our chips are 5,10, 25, 50, and 100 but we usually leave out 5 when we play. Maybe we should leave out 50? As I'm seeing it is a rare chip in other sets. And how would the structure be? How much chips everyone gets at start(i was thinking maybe 1000) and how to divide those let's say 1000 chips properly(i mean how many chips of each denomination you get to form perfect 1000). Thank you.

I’m not sure this is perfect, but whenever I create tourney structures I take a guess what the total chips in play will be, 15 buy ins X 250 chips = 3750 chips in play. Then I decide what level would the blinds be for heads ups, and work backwards. 150-300 would probably be the final blind level.

5-5
5-10
10-15
15-25
25-50
50-75
75-100
100-150
100-200
150-300

Hello, we play only tournaments, but we don't have chips with a high denomination, only ones as I mentioned and I don't think we plan to buy another one yet...We like shorter tournaments, so in the span of a couple of hours, we can play 3-4 tournaments. I found on web chip structures and blinds, but only for those with high denominations. Our chips are 5,10, 25, 50, and 100 but we usually leave out 5 when we play.

Good information! Next question: how many chips of each denomination do you have? For example:
  • 100x 5
  • 100x 10
  • 200x 25
  • 50x 50
  • 50x 100
That's just an example. Let us know what breakdown you actually have.

Next: how many players do you usually have at your game?

Finally: if I'm understanding you correctly, your tournaments last about thirty to forty minutes each, i.e. after about half an hour or so of playing everyone has busted out and only one player is left with chips. Is that correct? If so, then that's definitely a short tournament; it's much, much, much shorter than most people play. Typical tournaments that people here like to play last for three to five hours. Are you interested in playing any longer tournaments? If not, how long would you like your average tournament to run - an hour? Half an hour? Somewhere in between?

I'm not a tournament expert, but there are plenty of people here who are. If you can answer the questions above, I'm sure someone can give you some great advice on how to use the chips you have to play the kinds of poker you'd like.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom