VERSA Cases Back in Stock at DPS (1 Viewer)

The black “velvet” would be easy enough to remove from the wood pieces, if one wanted to re-cover them in a more durable fabric less likely to peel or fray.

The interior has enough room to fit 11 racks (here, Unique Entertainment 4200s), or 1,100 chips, with some room to spare. I stacked two COPAG boxes in the extra space:

F9F4B250-5871-4306-8181-994CEBFA14F5.jpeg
A48A0ABF-605F-43D7-9B3B-8B31BEC66C44.jpeg

Last edited:
The chips sit a little higher inside than before, but the cover shuts fine.

Next step will be to line the bottom, and to cut either foam or fabric-wrapped wood spacers to fill the gaps. These probably should be taller than the old ones, since the chips are sitting higher.

The case is also now a tiny bit lighter, since plastic is less dense than wood. None of what I removed seem to have had any structural purpose, so the case should be just as strong as before.

The racks may be a little difficult to lift out, if I wish to do so rather than leaving them in place. I may leave some finger-sized gaps to allow them to be lifted more easily.

Last edited:
Would this transport well without the racks affixed to the case? Or do they all smash around when you pick the case up?

(Oh, and if anyone has a couple barrels of green PCR v2 $25s to spare...)

And I was just about to criticize you for showing off 5 racks of those yellow Avalon’s when I have been looking for just 5 singles of them for the last 6 months! Haha

Would this transport well without the racks affixed to the case? Or do they all smash around when you pick the case up?

If anything the fit seems more snug than before, since the racks are sitting higher up. If necessary I may add closed cell foam under the racks, and/or behind the dimpled foam inside the cover. Just need to add the material mentioned above to prevent any side-to-side movement.

So, just finished my first attempt at a rebuild of the Versa 1,000 flat case to fit 11 racks and two COPAG deck boxes.

Materials used, after removing the interior wood dividers and chip trays:

* (4) sheets of Presto 9” x 12” stickyback faux felt sheets to line the bottom and sides of the case interior;

* (2) sheets of POP! 9” x 12” 6 mm thick black foam for creating bumpers/dividers: and

* (1) sheet of POP! 9” x 12” 2 mm thick black foam for more precise fitting as needed.

All of these came from JOANN Fabrics. They may come in larger sheets, which would have made for fewer pieces, but the cost was well under $20 total.

76AE9563-E732-4319-A019-6870AD4E93BD.jpeg
407C73F3-9672-46AE-9988-C40D2E1BF45F.jpeg

The first step was lining the bottom and sides with the stickyback faux felt pieces. This wasain’t truly necessary, but it makes everything look a little neater.

The stickyback material is pretty easy to work with; you can reset it if you don’t get it properly aligned. Not having one giant piece, I had to cut these to size to fit. Since this was my first try, the seams met up a little bit irregularly; but once the foam and racks are in, those small flaws pretty much disappear.

1B57DD10-2BFC-4022-8C80-88C850837CC7.jpeg

Next, I cut strips of the 6mm foam to fill out the side gaps, two runs per side. On the bottom side, it took one run of 6mm and one of 2 mm. I only cut these to the height of the case edge, since the top seems to be fitting down snugly, with the lid’s original undulating foam pressing down onto the chips. There doesn’t seem to be any chance of the chips escaping the racks.

The foam for the two stacked decks of COPAGs was cut higher, so that the top deck can’t slide around. I may put a rubber band around them as well just for added security.

All in all this solution works for me to continue using a case whose interior was getting kind of ratty. It now can fit 1,100 chips plus cards. I don’t expect to remove the racks I really regular basis if ever, but there is that option.

D3944DBA-F500-4391-B490-E9C2956992D4.jpeg
FA9F196A-8BFA-4B0F-BC00-F8BBBDD8444A.jpeg

Last edited:
P.S. The cutting I did on this small X-Acto pad. Can also get these and bigger sizes at JOANN’s.

CEF0A772-68F4-44B7-B7F9-06EDB44A3D41.jpeg

P.P.S. Obviously, an 1,1100 chip case is going to be heavy, no matter what. I don’t travel with these often, but hand handle them OK as needed; some might want to use a luggage-type rolling cart.

Next, I cut strips of the 6mm foam to fill out the side gaps, two runs per side. On the bottom side, it took one run of 6mm and one of 2 mm. I only cut these to the height of the case edge, since the top seems to be fitting down snugly, with the lid’s original undulating foam pressing down onto the chips. There doesn’t seem to be any chance of the chips escaping the racks.

The foam for the two stacked decks of COPAGs was cut higher, so that the top deck can’t slide around. I may put a rubber band around them as well just for added security.

All in all this solution works for me to continue using a case whose interior was getting kind of ratty. It now can fit 1,100 chips plus cards. I don’t expect to remove the racks I really regular basis if ever, but there is that option.

Thanks for writing this all up. I am going to attempt this as well. Not because my Versa case is beat up, but because a Versa with racks in the absolute ideal solution in my eyes. I wouldn’t intend to remove the racks either. I just want the division to make for easy chip counting and to ensure I have all my chipes at the end of the night.

View attachment 542266View attachment 542267
This is great. Well done!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom