Unwritten Rules of Chipping (2 Viewers)

MegaTon44

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
Well, guess they'll be written now....

Could also include some good chipping etiquette, karma points, etc.

I'll start it off with a few:
  1. Never monetize something you got for free from another chipper. Someone thought highly enough of you to extend goodwill your way - pay it forward. Charity fundraising should be the only exception to this.
  2. If you are planning to sell someone else's customs, always offer them back to the original owner first out of courtesy. If you got them for free, see rule #1
  3. Avoid the "I waive all responsibility once it hits the Post Office" language in your sales, especially in international sales. We are selling in a free marketplace thanks to Tommy and even have a reputation system. There will naturally be some risk associated with this, so pack your shipments well and try to make it right if something goes wrong
  4. Show respect (and patience) to the seasoned chippers who provide guidance/wisdom to us all. This extends to mods as well. These folks go out of their way and spend countless time supporting this community. Time is the only thing we can't buy more of, and they donate theirs freely.
I had a few more, but figured I'd let others mention. Share your thoughts. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thou shalt not murder historic Nevada chips for one's own nefarious gain for their solid customs set. Unless thy chip color in question is blaze orange, there shalt be plenty of Starburst chips to go round.

I almost think there should be an unwritten rule about posting eBay or other third-party listings that are already marked as sold here. I keep seeing instances of people (not necessarily from here, but likely) trying to undercut deals that are already made or flooding sellers' inbox and it does not really ever seem to give an added benefit. I guess there are positives in trying to bring exposure to something people may be interested in or if there is more to help make sure it goes to a PCF buyer instead of a random internet user, but browsing threads involving such situations I have seen some unfortunate stories. That being said, I am fairly new so I assume this has already been discussed/debated enough. Not trying to start drama if this is a contentious topic.

Don't diss someone else's chips. Yes, some designs are overly complex. Some are overly simple. Some look like they were designed by a child, or have a silly cartoon zombie on them. The point is, everyone's tastes are different. Telling someone their chips are fugly is like telling a parent that their kid is just average (at best).

It may be true, but pointing it out is never going to help anyone.

Don't diss someone else's chips. Yes, some designs are overly complex. Some are overly simple. Some look like they were designed by a child, or have a silly cartoon zombie on them. The point is, everyone's tastes are different. Telling someone their chips are fugly is like telling a parent that their kid is just average (at best).

Caveat: unless the design involves both candy and mobsters.

Charity fundraising should be the only exception to this.
I’ve never agreed with this. If we agree that certain things shouldn’t be sold for profit, then I don’t make a distinction for profits that some guy then donates to the charity of his choosing.
I’ve seen people flip chips (that they bought here) for profit for a charity, and I don’t like it. Because they’re still getting personal benefits (psychological, social, not to mention tax) from that donation, as well as increasing the cost of those particular chips, in this community.
Personally, I think we should have a rule, “If you buy chips from a PCF user, you should sell them for the same price.”
And I wouldn’t have a charitable exception. And those people who want to argue, it’s a free country, I can do what I want with my chips, I’d say yes, that’s true under the current rules. But if PCF added a clause to every classifieds ad that encumbered every chip sold with the requirement that they be resold at the same price, then you wouldn’t have that freedom.
Crazy pipe dream, I know. But it’s already an unwritten rule for a lot of us (maybe hopefully the majority of us.)

You can say they're breathtaking!

Zombies smoking a cigar and playing cards...Cmon!! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I think some newbies should be patient and realize some of these sets take years to complete. So an old time chipper might try to help you out by cutting some chips out from his set. But don't always expect it and don't get mad if he can't help you. Drastic example - If you want me to cut out 2 racks of Paulson ACF T500s...what am I going to do with the rest of the set? Murder them?

Can't agree more, except in a preview thread. If you can stop a mistake before it becomes permanent, you should.

I've seen lots of comments about things that I didn't notice, but once you seem them, it's hard to un-notice.

Here's an example. If relabeling and possible, go with a white/light background. @Gear's labels are nice because they're thick. Enough that you can see the white ring of the edge of the label on a dark background chip. A white background hides this.

If you have to have a colored/dark background, a white ring will help.

Drastic example - If you want me to cut out 2 racks of Paulson ACF T500s...what am I going to do with the rest of the set? Murder them?

@Josh Kifer

Last edited:
Some thoughts
1. Everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt at least once, attacking someone based on opinion and not facts is unfair, regardless of the topic
2. People can buy and sell as they choose, although I'm not a fan of chip flipping the person buying is responsible for setting the new price. If they are ok with paying that price then they are setting a market value (unfortunately sometimes higher)
3. This is a public internet forum that is free to join and use, we are all responsible for what we say and do. We should all probably think twice or three times before posting sometimes.
4. When you have a problem with someone and cannot resolve it first by one on one communication via PM, our next step should be contacting a moderator and leaving negative feedback if possible. Yes, we all like to post buyer beware or this and that so we can "let other people know" but that generally leads to arguements and pointing fingers. Everyone's entitled to posting freely what they would like, but a moderator is here for things like that. At that point if the moderator thinks the forum needs to be informed they can do so, ie a resource list of unreliable or "unsafe" sellers
5. If you aren't sure (about anything) just ask! If you think it's a questionable public statement, pick someone personal to ask! Lots of people here are willing (and would be more willing) to help others, however most of the time things get out of hand after mistakes have been made or something has been said that upsets someone
6. We are a community (and in some ways a family) please try to be respectful to each other! Even someone you don't like (or agree with) can still be given respect
7. There are many ways to get to the same outcome. Someone's method of oiling chips or doing a set breakdown or hand washing vs ultra sonic cleaning may not be what another considers ideal, but it doesn't always make them wrong. Perhaps, they are uninformed. Or maybe they prefer to do it their way whether right or wrong to another person (or people)
8. If you are welcomed/invited into someone else's game, please be a decent human being. First impressions are everything.
9. If you don't like someone, or have a disagreement take the time to talk it out. Whether same day, or 6 months later. Cleaning the air can turn an enemy into a friend
10. When you enter a group buy and place an order, please keep record of the dates set for payment and make an effort to check the forum around that time. Life happens, totally understandable, please just make an effort to touch base in a timely manner

Last thought: HAVE FUN!!! We are all in this hobby together, friend or foe! At the end of the day we should all be having a good time!

Note: these thoughts are taken from personal experience. I've made mistakes, and done my best to learn from them.

3. Avoid the "I waive all responsibility once it hits the Post Office" language in your sales, especially in international sales. We are selling in a free marketplace thanks to Tommy and even have a reputation system. There will naturally be some risk associated with this, so pack your shipments well and try to make it right if something goes wrong
I wholeheartedly disagree with #3, especially for international transactions. No amount of packaging protects against a lost shipment. Defining a liability transfer point in any deal is beneficial to both buyer and seller. Only a seller can purchase insurance to protect against loss/theft/damage; however, some buyers want to assume the risk rather than pay additional costs incurred by a seller. This is particularly true when buying from an experienced chipper with a good transaction reputation. If a default liability assumption is made such that all sellers are responsible for shipments from door-to-door, some buyers who are willing to accept shipment risk would be unnecessarily excluded from being able to close deals (e.g., especially deals where the seller doesn't want to ship internationally, due to lack of insure-ability or cost). I package relatively bomb-proof, but defining liability transfer isn't about packaging, it's about protection from loss and having a mutual understanding between all parties that makes the parameters of a deal crystal clear. $0.02

I wholeheartedly disagree with #3, especially for international transactions. No amount of packaging protects against a lost shipment. Defining a liability transfer point in any deal is beneficial to both buyer and seller. Only a seller can purchase insurance to protect against loss/theft/damage; however, some buyers want to assume the risk rather than pay additional costs incurred by a seller. This is particularly true when buying from an experienced chipper with a good transaction reputation. If a default liability assumption is made such that all sellers are responsible for shipments from door-to-door, some buyers who are willing to accept shipment risk would be unnecessarily excluded from being able to close deals (e.g., especially deals where the seller doesn't want to ship internationally, due to lack of insure-ability or cost). I package relatively bomb-proof, but defining liability transfer isn't about packaging, it's about protection from loss and having a mutual understanding between all parties that makes the parameters of a deal crystal clear. $0.02
I get the importance of clarity around liability transfer, but I've never paid for extra insurance and I find it shitty if an international chipper, already burdened by ridiculous shipping, would basically be forced to pay for it or else they get the response of...

"Lost package? Sorry homie - you're beat. See bullet #10 of my T's & C's."

I agree that it is important to protect yourself in a transaction. However, this is a community, and if I ever gave someone a response like that, without offering to provide relief (in some capacity), I'd deserve any blowback I get.

I get the importance of clarity around liability transfer, but I've never paid for extra insurance and I find it shitty if an international chipper, already burdened by ridiculous shipping, would basically be forced to pay for it or else they get the response of...

I agree that it is important to protect yourself in a transaction. However, this is a community, and if I ever gave someone a response like that, without offering to provide relief (in some capacity), I'd deserve any blowback I get.
Of course, nobody expects a response like THAT. The seller should do what is in their power to assist with contacting the postal services and such. But what more do you expect from a private individual? We deal with crazily expensive things here, and you can't really expect private individuals to cover such losses that are out of their hands? That's what insurance is for.

Of course, nobody expects a response like THAT. The seller should do what is in their power to assist with contacting the postal services and such. But what more do you expect from a private individual? We deal with crazily expensive things here, and you can't really expect private individuals to cover such losses that are out of their hands? That's what insurance is for.
I've seen countless examples here where folks have covered entire losses, both in $ and/or trade for lost packages. FRB have $50 insurance. Even domestically, there's a ton of risk. I was simply saying that trying to claim NO liability for a shipment where neither the buyer or seller is protected in 95% of the transactions on the site is a dick move.

Here’s one I’d like considered -

If you advertise chips for sale in the classifieds, and you agree to sell them to somebody and take their money, you should ship them the chips instead of holding into them for a week while you make a better deal and then reneging.
Name names or it didn’t happen. Jk

If you advertise chips for sale in the classifieds, and you agree to sell them to somebody and take their money, you should ship them the chips instead of holding into them for a week while you make a better deal and then reneging.
This deserves negative feedback!

My position has always been that as a seller, I buy insurance on any amount I’d be uncomfortable losing.
As a buyer, though I believe the seller has 100% liability for anything that doesn’t make it to my door, I’m generally willing to split any unrecoverable losses with my seller, because that just seems fair.

Some international shipments do not allow insurance. Liability should not be directly just on the shipper on this one.

I actually disagree with all of number three. But I'm six beers in and I don't wanna bicker. My defense would be piles of youtube videos and bad gifs.

Avoid the "I waive all responsibility once it hits the Post Office" language in your sales, especially in international sales.

I've always interpreted ads containing this as "The buyer assumes 100% of the risk. Even if you purchase insurance, I will not assist you. " I simply move on to the next ad.

I rarely leave feedback, but that seller's action would force a negative feedback post of monumental proportion. There is nothing worse here than going back on your word imo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom