Ultrasonic Chip Cleaning (5 Viewers)

A little bit of a hack. :cool
The knob was first glued on to the basket gear to turn by hand but then I had another idea.

The knob is just pushed on now as it doesn't need to be glued anymore. Adds stability although the hole is a little off center. If I did another one, I could get it centered. Use a variable speed drill/screw gun, preferably one with a low RPM range.
The plastic rod is from a hanger. The groves on the rod (to keep pants from falling off) helps lock everything together. Just don't just drill the hole too big.

IMG_20200316_104746.jpg

A little bit of a hack. :cool
The knob was first glued on to the basket gear to turn by hand but then I had another idea.

The knob is just pushed on now as it doesn't need to be glued anymore. Adds stability although the hole is a little off center. If I did another one, I could get it centered. Use a variable speed drill/screw gun, preferably one with a low RPM range.
The plastic rod is from a hanger. The groves on the rod (to keep pants from falling off) helps lock everything together. Just don't just drill the hole too big.

View attachment 423622

lol this is the best thing ive seen yet.

Yes, but what we want to see is about 40 chips in there with the drill on #10 high speed; the one meant for drilling pilot holes in adamantium. That'll get 'em clean!

This little Bosch works great.

IMG_20200316_114153.jpg

I have the Craftsman cousin of that Bosch. Small and light, but with lots of power if needed. I'll have to rig something up the next time I need to clean some chips.

For extremely dirty chips, maybe I'll try this one. ;)

IMG_20200316_114922.jpg

What are my best substitutes for distilled water? Due to corona virus over shopping, there is none in the grocery stores and I just got my ultrasonic yesterday. I want to clean some chippies.

What are my best substitutes for distilled water? Due to corona virus over shopping, there is none in the grocery stores and I just got my ultrasonic yesterday. I want to clean some chippies.
I ended up using bottled water and it seemed to work well. @Gear mentioned he runs the water in his machine for a while before using it.

Check the pharmacy section, not just the bottled-water section. We did some grocery shopping this morning, and while the bottled water in the drinks section was basically sold out, there was still plenty of distilled water in the pharmacy section. (I use it in a CPAP humidifier.)

It nuts how well this method works for cleaning chips. Once set up, it is actually kind of a nice, mind numbing, boredom, in a good way. And you end up with clean chippies.

Dirty chips straight from @The Chip Exchange sale:
D9EB0BD9-D9CE-4E2D-B9F8-8379EEDF7141.jpeg

B4D5A086-46A4-4FAA-AA20-BC51E5227881.jpeg

setup and rolling away:
4FE33E86-EBBD-4CB6-8580-4A8EC0CA7001.jpeg

gross aftermath:
53BC66D3-3B28-4A46-B21A-550A52A46661.jpeg

results:
1A595FCE-4C2C-4754-946D-C2C9747DE5AA.jpeg

9879AF1B-1066-4C2F-A809-1F09EC992C87.jpeg

D4B34AE2-07A2-4A42-AAF8-11BE622A5C9F.jpeg

highly recommend the ultrasonic method! Now to decide to oil or not?!

Oil.. yesss! Just a light coat is great and let them naturally oil more through play.

But looking at your pictures again, those chips didn't come out of the ultrasonic looking as parched as my horseshoe cincy chips did. Maybe no oiling really need, just give them time on the felt :tup:

I probably will give them some oil to even out the colors. I’m also in the camp that I’d rather have mineral oil on the chips as opposed to skin oils. Oiling will be for another day though. I racked em up. We won’t be playing live anytime soon so I have time. The yellows are absolutely insane after cleaning. So bright in person!

Last edited:
I might have the opportuity to buy one of these for relatively cheap in Singapore:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2053545250.html

Do you guys think it'll work ok?

looks like it is one of the smaller/lower wattage models. Might need longer times, which might not be great. I’m no expert though. Most of the units people are using are in the 150-180 range on watts

Thanks! That's what I feared as well. Not sure how much of an impact the difference in wattage will have on the cleaning.

Also, does the frequency these machines run at vary alot. Mostly seen them using ~40Hz
Also nope. Ultrasonic frequencies (hence the name) are ~40 kHz.

Yes, they vary somewhat, and sometimes deliberately. For example one model I've seen (and owned) had a "de-gas" mode which varied the frequency of the transducers to speed up the elimination of gas bubbles from the solution.

Ultrasonic.jpg

Sorry for the recent spam but want to make sure I get a decent one because they aren't cheap here. Would VGT-1860QTD be a good option? Would run me about $140 USD.

Vevor 6L believer right here. If I'm taking the time to clean, I want my results to show. We don't cut corners on chips, let's not cut them on our chip's baths either...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom