Ultrasonic Chip Cleaning (6 Viewers)

so i spent some time cleaning horseshoe dollars only. 6 liter machine, filled 1.75 gal with 8 tbs of tsp, temp at 44, drops to 42 when using, 4 min, still have residue left, so I had to hand scrub, lightly with a quick soak in diamond chip cleaner. Unless my machine is not working proper, or my TSP is bad, just don't understand how some of you get yours so white, without hand cleaning some of them. Ultrasonic still saves a load of time.
I had the same experience with my relatively powerful cleaner shown in the pics above. Took a 5 sec brush per side with a tooth brush after the US bath and they were pristine. I think there's just a small amount of gunk that gets in the deep hashes and grooves. Maybe Ultrasonic is supposed to get that, and I should expect more, but I personally wasn't surprised that I needed one quick brush over.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Took me 1 hour to get 20 chips cleaned. Need to change that.
EDIT: Without ultrasonic! :)

Bought it after the test. Still waiting for shipment. :(

us.jpg
FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Last edited:
I can't bring myself to buy one of these, but I DO need to clean some Paulsons. Only trouble is, I don't "plan" on cleaning any in the future. Going to have to find someone local to help out!!

I can't bring myself to buy one of these, but I DO need to clean some Paulsons. Only trouble is, I don't "plan" on cleaning any in the future. Going to have to find someone local to help out!!
I got a USC. I live in skagit county though. If I remember correctly you're in king county?

The ultrasonic is very much worth it though. Too easy. I did 1300 or so Aztars with the good old oxy soak and scrub method. Never again. Felt so dumb after I used the ultrasonic.

IMG_0108.JPG

Soak in warm water/Palmolive mix. Then in the ultrasonic with the real fake TSP for a minute. 30ish at a time. (Couple hand fulls) Just in the basket it came with. Nothing fansy. Rinse, dry and oil.

Took me 1 hour to get 20 chips cleaned. Need to chance that.

Something definitely wrong. Are you using the fake TSP recommended in first post? Are you using distilled water? Are you using rotating basket? How about water temperature? Is the machine making a buzzing noise while operating?

I just reread your post... Are you saying it took you one hour to clean by hand and now you need to buy an ultrasonic?

DSCF1064.JPG

I'm a little bit at a loss as to how to clean these Burt/ASM/other chips made in the late 70s/early 80s. I think a lot of the stuff on the edges of the chips is actually mold (if not, brass/lead flakes?) because the cardboard boxes they came in were starting to fall apart.

Running the ultrasonic on a couple at around 35C with just water didn't work very well, and not hot enough to kill mold anyways. How do Burt/ASM handle higher temperatures? Has anyone tried any other added chemicals? I could try dish soap with no oxi in the ultrasonic even though it doesn't make sense to me..

I had to clean my horseshoe mold Binion Horseshoes by hand with Dawn. Higher temperatures and OXY/TSP are bad for the Burt/ASM chips... also bad for Large Crown TRKs. You can gently use a magic eraser.

Here's a better picture of the mold around the sides. I'm not responsible for the fading!!

DSCF1062.JPG

Cleaned 600 Lucky Derby THC's today with the ultrasonic.... took about an hour.

Couldn't (wouldn't) have done it without it!

View attachment 64499I'm a little bit at a loss as to how to clean these Burt/ASM/other chips made in the late 70s/early 80s. I think a lot of the stuff on the edges of the chips is actually mold (if not, brass/lead flakes?) because the cardboard boxes they came in were starting to fall apart.

Running the ultrasonic on a couple at around 35C with just water didn't work very well, and not hot enough to kill mold anyways. How do Burt/ASM handle higher temperatures? Has anyone tried any other added chemicals? I could try dish soap with no oxi in the ultrasonic even though it doesn't make sense to me..

Be very careful with ASMs and TSP in the ultrasonic machine. As I recall, some one here completely destroyed a couple barrels of their ASMs/CPCs with this method. They are just too soft.

(trying to find the photos now)

EDIT...

Some detail here: http://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/diamond-chip-cleaner.1706/#post-6150

More here: http://www.chiptalk.net/forum/threads/ultrasonic-chip-cleaning-revisited.86314/page-3#post-1253899

Re: ultrasonic and ASM chips, I've placed a small drop of dish soap in mine and it foamed like crazy. Not really viable imo. I was going to try a weak solution of Simple Green but not sure if the would be effective or damage the chips.

Re: ultrasonic and ASM chips, I've placed a small drop of dish soap in mine and it foamed like crazy. Not really viable imo. I was going to try a weak solution of Simple Green but not sure if the would be effective or damage the chips.
As mentioned in this original review of ASM horseheads over on HPT, .. ASM used to include basic cleaning instructions with their chip orders ...
http://www.homepokertourney.com/chips-hpt.htm
" Cleaning:
If your chips ever need cleaning, it should be done one chip at a time. Use a soft brush (eg: toothbrush) and a small amount of mild detergent mixed with water. With the brush, apply a small amount of the solution to the chip; then dry at once with a soft cloth."

I wonder if they meant dish, laundry or other detergent or it didn't matter ...

Yes, I have several copies of those quaint instructions lol. But we're looking for a breakthrough in the name of science (y) :thumbsup:​

Most newer washing machines require " HE " rated wash detergents, which are ultra low suds/foaming.
Don't know the ingredients, but perhaps a test of with some "discardable" ASM/CPC's in your ultrasonic.....

Most newer washing machines require " HE " rated wash detergents, which are ultra low suds/foaming.
Don't know the ingredients, but perhaps a test of with some "discardable" ASM/CPC's in your ultrasonic.....

I purchased 200 filthy Kenmore Lanes ASM chips a couple years ago for the purpose of testing in the ultrasonic. I will look into "HE" rated wash detergents.

.. Let us know the results.

These have been in the queue for a while... I bought them so I could perform tests... before I cleaned my horseshoe mold Horseshoes (Binion's, Vegas). I ended up cleaning them individually with Dawn... then using an exacto to scrape the gunk out of the horseshoe... not much incentive anymore... other than for the sake of science. If anyone is more driven than me on this task... I will gladly sell the Kenmore's for what I paid... Like 50c per chip. They are A mold $1.

Last edited:
Cleaned the $1s and $5s for the Horseshoes that I got on the Black Friday sale (and follow-up sale). Followed the steps of this awesome thread basically exactly (thanks ski_ex5!), using NorCalChip's sonic cleaner: AW 6L Liter Stainless Steel 380 Watt Ultrasonic Cleaner w/Timer Heater. http://a.co/eEhUheX

Once setup was complete (which took a fairly long while, since I took my time with plenty of plastic dropclothes for the kitchen floor and counter, and triple checked all steps/pieces, since it was my first time doing this), I cleaned approx. 650 $1 and $5 chips in 2 hours. They came out great!

Tons of great suggestions in this thread and the NorCalChip thread. Going to tackle the $25s, $100s and $500s next week.

Horseshoe 1s - clean.jpg
Horseshoe 1s - dirty.jpg
Horseshoe 1s and 5s - clean.jpg

I also did about 600 chips today, thankfully on a plywood workbench so no protection other than gloves necessary :)

The one dollar chip is really such a great chip. One of my favorite in the set because of the nice edgespots. And it is just so shiny and bright and cleans up so easily.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom