Cash Game Typical max buy-in? (1 Viewer)

I get the impression that these are relatively inexperienced players that are intimidated by no-limit. Capping the buy-in at $20 means they can't lose more than that in just one hand. I'm curious to find out if it's going to turn into an all-in festival for the first hour.
Yea that’s my thought. Better to play spread limit or something if that’s the concern. Even just chasing a couple draws could have you at a fold/shove stack unless you are gonna be topping up every hand.

Best to teach them to embrace their inner degen and tell them they can win more with at least 100bb on table!

DEEP STACK BABY
0.05c (or 0.10c) ante 0.10c SB 0.25c BB.
Starting with $152 because we like the chips. Other folks usually buy in ranging from $60 to $120.

Attachments

• IMG_20190831_184833248.jpg
    IMG_20190831_184833248.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 106
I have run into many players who want to buy in for $40-$100 but refuse to play less than 1/2 because it would be “too small”. o_O

I’m not sure they know what actual NL feels like. I won’t play in the games they host anymore. (You can imagine the idiocy that ensues with people like this.)

EDIT: yes, I have seen guys buy in for 20BB. And there is no convincing them that they should be playing $0.25/$0.50 not 1/2.

Last edited:
I do 50BB minimum, 100BB maximum to start the game. Keep in mind my game is very social. Anything higher than 200BB initial buy in is too deep, and anything lower than 50BB turns into a shove fest with frequent rebuys.

I'd say just about half of the players on the table rebuy on any given night.

My game is standard 100BB or half the big stack eventually, so starting at 50E for .50/.50.

I have started frequenting a game where the stakes are .50/1, with starting buy-in from 50 to 100E, so 50 to100BB. One orbit in three is .50/.50 PLO.
Interestingly, last Friday everybody just bought in for the minimum (50) except the host (100), another guy (100) and myself (80).
It might have been a .50/.50 as well, but the host wanted to "up" the game a little bit.
On the average, everybody ended up putting 100E on the table anyway; 40% of the money changed hands.

Edit: That must be the edge of the "envelope" financially, for normal (not filthy rich, not poker pro or semi-pro) people here (to get a feel of the amounts on the pocket, multiply by 3)

Our weekly cash is $40 at .25/.25 = 160bb, or $100 at 1/1 = 100bb

40bb is a totally different game and would be a shove fest with our players unless high stakes

It is kind of interesting seeing the different thoughts on this. We have never had a standard buy in. I our thoughts were "tournaments you have a strict buy in. Cash game. Minimum Buy-in is $20 there is not max. Buy in for whatever you want just put the money in front of you on the table." I always enjoy seeing the different stack sizes.

100-200 for us.

Right now we do 25c/25c with $20-60. Though almost no one does $20. Later in the game we typically raise the cap to $100.

I tend to not pay attention to the blinds relative to the buy-in, but rather how much money is put on the table during the course of the evening. Blinds simply start the action and do not always dictate how large the game may play pre or post flop. As others have stated, players are willing to take greater risks if they don't value what it costs to buy back into the game. Hence, they buy-in more frequently.

I played in a low stake .20/.40 game two years ago with some loose cannons. We had two evenings where there was over $2,000 on the table, all on $20 buy-ins and re-buys of $20 to $40.

Sure, the game plays differently, but it still presents a good opportunity.

My biggest win in relation to my buy-in came from that game. In for $25, out for $625. (I always bought in for $5 more than the others at the table. No one ever objected.)

No max but a min buy-in of 100bbs. It’s small stakes though and we all like deep stack play so no one pretty much ever buys in or rebuys for less than 250bbs.

Typically we'll do 50-100BB depending on time limits, max buy-ins, and max buybacks. I think people overreact by thinking 50BB is too few, but if you're playing a friendly home game with a full squad, max buy-in at 100 with unlimited buybacks, 1/2 game - you can still run the gamut of strategy/hands. To me, it comes down to how rigid is your style of play, and how the cards are running for you on that given night.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom