Travel set advice - Poll (1 Viewer)

Travel set - China clay, Ceramic or Plastic?

• China Clay

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • Ceramic

Votes: 27 57.4%
  • Dice Chips :)

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coyote

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
In relation to a good clay set, it has to be waaay cheaper, lighter and way more durable and care-free (to be forgotten unwillingly yet possibly in car trunks), for 8 players cash or 10 players tourney max (so, T denominations, to be used as cents for cash purposes). 600 chips maximum.
For occasional excursion use, with farmer distant cousins at the village and in mountain huts, or for teaching godchildren at the beach, in summer. (Always Recruit!:D)
Purpose is to allow the dice chip set go to the recycle bin.

Apache's new 43mm china clay project is clearly beautiful and reasonably priced, I just don't know if china clays can take the level of abuse described above.

Thoughts?

I believe the Majestics are less given to chipping, flaking, crumbling, etc., and my limited experience aligns with that. I’ve dropped many of them onto my hardwood floor without even a slight chip. I think you’ll be good.

Also, the material feels closer to the slugged plastic chips I’ve used, but nicer, whereas the spirit mold chips feel much more like a clay chip, but they are also more fragile. YMMV, of course.

Maybe a set of sluggos would be the way to go for you. They are cheap, durable, and available everywhere.

Thanks Beaker, but if slugged plastic, I could always keep the infamous dice chips...
True question is about the durability of china clays versus the ceramics.

@Coyote, I just want to clarify that I have no concerns about the durability of my Majestics. I’d be a little more concerned about the Pharaoh CC’s, just from reports of crumbling I’ve seen on PCF.

Ceramics would probably be a good option too.

I think ceramics will always outlast china clays so that would be my recommendation. Especially if you get some in the 10c-20c range you're looking at chips that are cheaper than CCs to boot.

I'd say ceramics as well, but you're not going to save on the weight side of it. They are as heavy as clay.

Any reasonable-cost sets of Bud Jones plastic out there? Will save on weight, but likely not $$$.

Ceramics get my vote, and what I went with myself for my travel set.

People still buy dice chips! I sold 3 cases on Craigslist recently for $20-$30 a case. Don’t throw them away.

I have had Majestics as my travel set for almost 2 years now...no wear, no issues.

Nikolas, for me the best travel set is to take some ceramics chips.

You can do less dirty than china clay and you can play without carpet too

I might keep the poor dice chips as memorabilia - some of them are Jim Beam labeled or Jack Daniels stamped, which I earned drinking:)
Only problem with ceramics is that their designers mostly think they 're Hieronymus Bosch:LOL: :laugh: I'd prefer something simple, clay-looking.
Breakdown would be something like
$5 x100 (to be used as 5K also)
$25x 125
$100x150
$500x125
$1000x100
for a total of 600

In addition to the additional abuse that a travel set can encounter, travel chips have less of a chance of being recovered if one gets away.

I have a set of Milanos that I used for a travel set for years. Easy to replace if one gets lost. Very durable, including car trunk conditions in Tennessee.

I used to use a custom ceramic set, but when one almost got away, I decided against it - much too difficult to replace. They are however, nigh indestructible.

I now use a set of custom labeled sluggos for airplane travel. They are the easiest and cheapest to replace. Labels make them better than dice chips, but they have more weight when carried in bulk.

@Poker Zombie you tempt me to keep and label the dice chips:D

Other question, in a last attempt to avoid the above disgrace:LOL: :laugh:: Do 43mm chips fit into the grooves of normal chip cases?

I'm a big fan of the slugged Monaco Poker Chips . $72 for 600 chips. They don't have the typical edge "flashing" that most of today's sluggos have.

I'm a big fan of the slugged Monaco Poker Chips . $72 for 600 chips. They don't have the typical edge "flashing" that most of today's sluggos have.
Just checked. 240E (or $270) in this country:rolleyes:. Might end up being somewhat less in case DPS shipped abroad. Import taxes are barbarous.
Btw, how about these plastics which can be found locally - at 180E per 600ct?

Any better than dice?

Just checked. 240E (or $270) in this country:rolleyes:. Might end up being somewhat less in case DPS shipped abroad. Import taxes are barbarous.
Btw, how about these plastics which can be found locally - at 180E per 600ct?
View attachment 238889
Any better than dice?
These chips (or similar) can be had fo around 14c each so you’re overpaying significantly.

Thanks to everybody who voted and/or contributed.
It's quite clear that ceramics are more durable.
However, I just can't find anything among them to honestly like - it seems their fully printable feature unleashes designers into debauchery:LOL: :laugh:
And I have fully taken the point made by @Poker Zombie about custom ceramics - let alone that the cost takes a ridiculous hike for a set meant to be cheap.
It's not a priority now, but when time comes, I think I 'll go for custom-labelled Majestics, especially if this can be done in the source.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom