Tourney Tourney Chips (1 Viewer)

Lefty2215

High Hand
Reaction score
So I have Majestics on the way for cash games and I'm already thinking of chips for a tourney set (damn poker chips.) My problem though is, I haven't paid enough attention to tourney sets and breakdowns. What would you guys consider a very basic breakdown for about 600 chips? I would give an example of what I think would be good but I'm honestly not even sure where to start.

So what breakdown would be good for 7-8 people and about 600 chips?

Is starting at 10/20 blinds a good place to start?

And one last question is do you guys prefer to have your cash and tourney sets matching or do you like them to be different? I'm not sure if I want to go with more Majestics in higher denoms or if I want to switch it up and go with a different CC like the Pharaohs. I'm gonna stick with stock chips because I don't have the patience for customs; at least right now.

Last edited:
I would start here: Royal Yak 500 chip set. This would work for a 10k tourney starting at 25/50 with starting stacks of 12 / 12 / 7 / 5 for up to 11 players, and you could accomodate up to 18 if you really wanted to with starting stacks of 8 / 8 / 4 / 2 / 1.

General wisdom is to have different sets for tourney and cash, just to prevent chips from migrating from one game to another if both are running (e.g. late into the tourney, busted players start a cash game...). No one is going to mix up these ceramics with the Majestics. :)

Disclaimer: I have a 1200-chip tourney set of these, and love them. And they are holding up well.

I would start here: Royal Yak 500 chip set. This would work for a 10k tourney starting at 25/50 with starting stacks of 12 / 12 / 7 / 5 for up to 11 players, and you could accomodate up to 18 if you really wanted to with starting stacks of 8 / 8 / 4 / 2 / 1.

General wisdom is to have different sets for tourney and cash, just to prevent chips from migrating from one game to another if both are running (e.g. late into the tourney, busted players start a cash game...). No one is going to mix up these ceramics with the Majestics. :)

Disclaimer: I have a 1200-chip tourney set of these, and love them. And they are holding up well.
Never really looked into ceramics. I guess I just see them as fancy dice chips considering they are basically plastic right?

I thought I read a long time ago that ceramics were basically like a plastic material. Guess I was wrong lol
If interested in the Royal Yaks in the classifieds, pm me. Tell us what you're looking for in terms on tournament time and how many people you normally have, @BGinGA is the expert around these parts for building tournament structures based on # of players and running time you want and we can all help.

600 is overkill for a single table tourney. Fine if you *want* them, but you don't *need* them.

A 200BB 10 player tourney only requires 80 x T25, 100 x T100, 40 x 500, and 80 x 1000. Staring stacks 8/8/4/7. That's 300 chips. And those numbers allow for chipping up.

Throw in a few spares, and maybe 40 more T25s if you prefer to start with 12 instead of 8, and you're still under 400 chips.

And ceramics, BJs, or B&Gs, etc. are fine for tourneys.

I thought I read a long time ago that ceramics were basically like a plastic material. Guess I was wrong lol

To be honest, the same could be said of other chips, such as china clays. Like other types of chips, there are lower end versions (Scrolls, etc), and there are higher end manufacturers (Sunfly, Chipco, GOCC, PGI, and ABC). I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand.

I thought the same thing, as I had sample sets of Scrolls and Nile Club, and hated them. I wasn't fond of Sunfly samples, either. Then I got a sample set of Yaks. Great feel and sound, good weight (10g), easily distinguishable colours, and different edge spots for each denom. Now I have 1800 of them. The only way I'm replacing them is if I get a CPC set, or a custom ceramic set from GOCC or ABC. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Last edited:
If interested in the Royal Yaks in the classifieds, pm me. Tell us what you're looking for in terms on tournament time and how many people you normally have, @BGinGA is the expert around these parts for building tournament structures based on # of players and running time you want and we can all help.
Ya that's kind of the problem. I don't really know about tournaments. It's mainly been minor cash games and playing for fun(blasphemous I know) with my girlfriend and her family. But it would be around 7-8 people. I have a few people that I know want to start a fairly regular poker night and I'm sure I could find a few more so I figured I'd go ahead and gets a set to be ready. As far as running time goes it would probably be a few hours. Not sure if be able to keep their focus for more than 3 hours. At least for right now.

And I'm not really interested at the moment thanks. It'll be a while til I will be buying the tourney set. And I'll have to handle some ceramics before I pull the trigger. Thanks though

My 'standard' recommendation for a single-table (10-player) tournament set:

120 x T25
120 x T100
60 x T500
80 x T1000
20 x T5000
----------
400 chips

That set allows for these 10K starting stacks:

12 x T25
12 x T100
5 x T500
6 x T1000

which leaves ample chips for color-ups and re-buys. Starting stacks can easily be bumped to 20K if desired, and it also supports up to 15 players with 8/8/4/2/1 10K stacks.

For two full tables and up to 20 players (8/8/4/2/1 stacks), you can expand the set to 500 chips:

160 x T25
160 x T100
80 x T500
80 x T1000
20 x T5000
----------
500 chips

I thought I read a long time ago that ceramics were basically like a plastic material.
To be honest, the same could be said of other chips, such as china clays.
As CBL noted, nearly all poker chips are basically plastic, in some form or another -- even most high-end 'clay' chips.

The differences come from what specific type of plastic is used, what other ingredients are added to the materials, and how they are formed. "Ceramic" chips contain high-resin polymers, most "dice" chips are typically a hard ABS plastic, and "clay" chips have added silicates and other minerals. Each broad category has many variations that produce chips with a wide range of quality and different visual/sound/feel characteristics.

Always get samples before you make a purchase decision.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom