Tourney Tourney/Cash Home Game Hosting Question (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I am very close to hosting a regular game once a month. Used to play regularly and got out of it; new house, new space, new table(x2), new chips and I am close.
We used to play cash games and the occasional tourney.
Right now I’m thinking about cash game 2 months and tourney 1 month. Rinse/Repeat.

All that said:
What do you do?
What are the pros/cons?
Is attendance better at one or the other?

I remember a few months ago I thought I would be hosting once a month - now I have a tournament once a month and a cash table once a week. My advise is to listen to your players. They know way better than we do about what they will attend.

As a host, I prefer cash games, for the following reasons:
-start time doesn't have to be so strict. If a player can't be there till late, he can jump in.
-players can keep playing as long as they want to keep buying in
-less work for the host
-so basically, less stress for me

Some people, particularly casual players, it seems, prefer tourneys. Others will play in the tourney just to jump in the cash game after.

My group doesn't really care. They'll come and play if they can.

Tabletalker and Beakertwang are both right. Listen to your players. In 2003, we started a cash game. Then we decided to try a tournament. We tried alternating, but it was way easier for us to get a tournament going. I'm not sure why it didn't occur to us to just poll players who said they were interested in poker and figure out what they wanted. Eventually the cash game died entirely. Every group is different. What players want over time changes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom