Total Solar Eclipse (April 8th, 2024) (4 Viewers)

Dark and very cool out. It looked like it was about 8:20pm out.
Here the light dimmed some and it looked weirdly different, but it wasn’t close to dusk. Yet when I looked through the glasses, the sun was almost completely covered. I guess that thing has brightness to spare.

Brimming with anticipation.
PXL_20240408_170602104.jpg

It's starting!
PXL_20240408_181213683~2.jpg

PXL_20240408_190552793.jpg

As we neared totality, we saw the shadows become fuzzy on the left side and stay crisp on the right (that's my finger).
IMG-20240408-WA0040.jpg

A pin hole in a piece of paper yielded a crescent moon
PXL_20240408_190115138.jpg

PXL_20240408_190122874.jpg

As we neared totality, it got really quiet. No birds chirping. It got darker and darker, but the sky was still blue.

IMG-20240408-WA0027.jpg

The it cooled down. Then it went from sunset to sunrise in 4 minutes.
PXL_20240408_191257007.jpg
PXL_20240408_191521977.NIGHT.jpg

First we heard the frogs. Then the morning birds started chirping, then we heard the goats at the farm across the street. Light came back, but colors were weird. Then it finally started to warm up.

Totality was amazing.
IMG-20240408-WA0034.jpg
PXL_20240408_191411367.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20240408_191420150.NIGHT.jpg

We knew traffic getting back to Michigan would be bad, mostly because there is construction just as you cross into Michigan, but also because we saw alot of Michigan plates where we were and also because it was rush hour. I didn't expect the sign I saw on the highway: "State line 7 miles, 49 minutes." Looks like I wasn't the only one to think of stopping at Tony Packo's to let traffic think out a bit...
PXL_20240408_213945889~2.jpg

Here the light dimmed some and it looked weirdly different, but it wasn’t close to dusk. Yet when I looked through the glasses, the sun was almost completely covered. I guess that thing has brightness to spare.
The odd dimming light is my favorite part. Nothing else but an eclipse can reproduce it. Back in 2017 (I think), I was lucky enough to be at my cottage, right on the beach of Lake Erie when a partial eclipse took place. The 2nd coolest thing I've witnessed, after today.

The odd dimming light is my favorite part. Nothing else but an eclipse can reproduce it. Back in 2017 (I think), I was lucky enough to be at my cottage, right on the beach of Lake Erie when a partial eclipse took place. The 2nd coolest thing I've witnessed, after today.
Yeah, I kept thinking about on LOST when Daniel Faraday first showed up on the island and he was saying “the light is different here.”

Yeah, I kept thinking about on LOST when Daniel Faraday first showed up on the island and he was saying “the light is different here.”
I never did see that show, sadly, but that's exactly right, it's just different.

I saw this on a TV show one time, but how long do we have to wait for our super powers to kick in?

I enjoyed seeing the spectacular photos from others who were in the path of totality.

I was in the path of mediocrity. Skies were clear at the start of it, so I looked through some (legit) eclipse glasses and saw the beginning. After that, it was overcast and looked simply like an average cloudy day in cloudy, rainy Delaware.

IMG_1699.jpeg
IMG_1702.jpeg
IMG_1701.jpeg
It’s amazing to think that if the moon was a bit bigger, or smaller…or if it was further away, or closer…it wouldn’t be virtually the same size as the sun when viewed from earth…and a total eclipse wouldn’t be dramatic like this.
Nature has a funny way of being perfect sometimes.

Did it actually get dark? Because we weren’t in the path of completeness (or whatever) but we were pretty close, and I was surprised that it didn’t get darker.
It got dark, planets were visible, it dropped about 15 degrees, the wind kicked up, and there was a “sunset” 360 degrees around us

All for four minutes

It was absolutely surreal

It's an interesting opportunity to realize how much energy the sun puts out. Even with only a tiny fraction of light peeking out it's still enough to blind you. Enough energy hits the Earth in one our to fill our power needs for one year.

90 minute drive down this morning.

5 hour drive home. It was the holy Trinity of eclipse traffic, rush hour, abd construction just over the state line

90 minute drive down this morning.

5 hour drive home. It was the holy Trinity of eclipse traffic, rush hour, abd construction just over the state line
Yeah, it was a long wait to get to the highway. Once we were off 95, it was 35 or so minutes up to the venue. Going back it was 2 hours to the highway and that was taking the back way with less traffic. Once we made the highway it was smooth sailing.

Weather was perfect yesterday, had to work but parking lot was pretty empty, nobody else working, waiting for the magic.....

untitled111a.jpg

Getting close, darkness falls, not a zombie in sight though......

untitled222a.jpg

Totality, street lights kick in, glasses off, sooo freaking cool :cool

untitled333a.jpg

Unofrtunately my pictures sucked but coworkers used proper filtering and got the good stuff.

ec01.jpg

ec02.jpg

Don't think I'll make it til 2045, maybe, but really glad I got to see it in person.... :cool

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom