Too many fracs?!? (2 Viewers)

Timmah

Two Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve noticed that when fracs make their way into a discussion, most people comment that a barrel of fracs per person is too much. The argument that is generally made is that too many fracs on the table is bad, and that everyone will just make change, or raise up the blinds. No more than $2-$3 in fracs per person. (.25/.50) (Also I’m a believer that making constant change sucks.)

With that being said, when people run 1/2 or 1/3 games, do you give everyone a full barrel of $1’s? If so, isn’t that basically the same thing? I’ve seen home game pics in the forums where there are 2000 or more $1’s on the table. Why not more 5’s?

1710288388950.png

The main difference is that after the blinds are put in the fracs usually don't get used much, in most games. The ones and fives take over. A barrel of one's will get put on play, a barrel of quarters, not so much. They are more of a collectors item at the table, especially if they're sexy.

I’ve noticed that when fracs make their way into a discussion, most people comment that a barrel of fracs per person is too much. The argument that is generally made is that too many fracs on the table is bad, and that everyone will just make change, or raise up the blinds. No more than $2-$3 in fracs per person. (.25/.50) (Also I’m a believer that making constant change sucks.)

With that being said, when people run 1/2 or 1/3 games, do you give everyone a full barrel of $1’s? If so, isn’t that basically the same thing? I’ve seen home game pics in the forums where there are 2000 or more $1’s on the table. Why not more 5’s?
I think tourney players like having as few chips as possible in front of them. Cuz they’re either folding or going all in. Cash players like mountains of chips like a wallet so bulging with cash it’s uncomfortable to sit on, quoting an old gambling buddy of mine.

Because this discussion could also be “why so many $5s?”

Because MOAR is always better.

We play 50c/50c uncapped buy-in (average initial buyin is probably about $150-$200) and I give out 4x50c, 8x$1 and 8x$5 for the first $50 and $5s and $25s to top up.

Sometimes there is a bit of change making but it never slows down the game. The fracs become meaningless throughout the night as the stacks get deeper.

My guys have no problem playing with what PCF would deem to be a small number of chips. Each game is different though!

If you provide a good fun environment, the number of chips is probably one of the last thing they’re thinking about (unless you give them 3 chips to start!)

Think again. This is a NL set (it’s also not mine).

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpeg
    IMG_0021.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 127
Think again. This is a NL set (it’s also not mine).
That would be tough to play $1/$2 no limit. Seems like $3k bank for a 1/2 game would be lacking.

I have the same set up with 1600 $1’s and 200 $20’s. I use that for limit and then add 3 racks of $5’s and a barrel of $100’s if we are playing NL.

To each their own though

I think it’s for $1/$1 which makes it more manageable. Though I’ve never played with it so IDK how well it works. Sounds fun to have mountains of chips for NL though!

I think it’s for $1/$1 which makes it more manageable. Though I’ve never played with it so IDK how well it works. Sounds fun to have mountains of chips for NL though!

It’s not(fun I meant) Way too many $1s for NL at least

Last edited:
My game is .25/.25 blinds and I give everyone a barrel of fracs ($5) at their initial buy-in. I'm sure most people here would say thats way too many but it works for our game. And as people re-buy the fracs get redistributed so no one ends up with an absurd number. Giving everyone only $2-$3 in fracs seems like way too little and people would need to constantly need to make change.

my game is .25/.50 I only have 100count 25¢ chips. I want more 25¢ chips. The reason being is that the more quarters that are on the table the more people are inclined to use them and keep the game a little smaller than times where I avoided putting all the quarters out there. This however applies to my game ymmv

I don't host 1-2 myself, but when I have played 1-2 live, usually I don't require more than 10 singles in my stack.

The issue is, especially in no limit, the more denominations in play, the longer it takes to count. Counting full stacks is pretty quick if the bulk of the stack is in the "workhorse chip" for the given stake and then it's just a handful of fracs to add. YMMV on how huge of a deal that really is.

I LOOOOOVVVVEEEE FRACS!! However, 1 rack is the perfect amount no matter how large ypur set is. We typically play .50/$1 and 1 rack of fracs is more than enough for 1 tor 3 tables. I bought 2 racks of fracs once thinking I needed them for 2 or 3 table, but found it to be a waste of time and money. Half way through the night I started pulling fracs off the table.

Why is 1 rack of fracs more than enough for a varying number of players? IMHO, it's because they are not workhorse chips.

When I ran a 5/5 game I used to do half a barrel of 5s per player, the rest in 25s. With 5/10 I did half a barrel but it was too much changing or people just throwing a 25 chip as blinds and then every idiot asking if its 25 to call. Started with a full barrel of 5s per player and that's plenty.

IMO if you run a .25/.5 game, 2 racks of quarters is a good idea. 3 fracs go on the table for the blinds and if a lot of ppl just call 50 cents, many times we end up with quite a few in a pot. With my guys (casual social game, lots of chatting) I try to avoid people throwing out a $1 chip and taking another persons call for change. It can cause the next guy to think there was a raise and start calling $1 if they aren't paying attention. If everyone has enough fracs to make calls, there is no confusion

If you have a .5/1 game, 1 rack of 50c is fine because it's just the SB that needs one each hand.

My starting stacks ($0.25/1/5) are 12/12/X. So, for 10 players starting the game, 120 fracs go out. After the inital game starts, I have 10 rebuys prepped with 8/8/X until the fracs are gone; then I just give $5's for rebuys. Yes, it gets a lot of fracs on the table, but, my players enjoy not having to make change all the time, and moar chips is good chips :D

IMO if you run a .25/.5 game, 2 racks of quarters is a good idea. 3 fracs go on the table for the blinds and if a lot of ppl just call 50 cents, many times we end up with quite a few in a pot. With my guys (casual social game, lots of chatting) I try to avoid people throwing out a $1 chip and taking another persons call for change. It can cause the next guy to think there was a raise and start calling $1 if they aren't paying attention. If everyone has enough fracs to make calls, there is no confusion

If you have a .5/1 game, 1 rack of 50c is fine because it's just the SB that needs one each hand.

My starting stacks ($0.25/1/5) are 12/12/X. So, for 10 players starting the game, 120 fracs go out. After the inital game starts, I have 10 rebuys prepped with 8/8/X until the fracs are gone; then I just give $5's for rebuys. Yes, it gets a lot of fracs on the table, but, my players enjoy not having to make change all the time, and moar chips is good chips :D

this makes a lot of sense......take it elsewhere Lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom