To oil or not to oil, New CPC's (1 Viewer)

Oil them

• Yes

Votes: 61 93.8%
  • No

Votes: 4 6.2%

• Total voters
Those oiled chips I must say do look impressive! They almost look like different chips due to the contrast in colors.

The other thing to note, if the chips are to be put into play, they will eventually become oiled anyway, so you get to choose the type of oil the seeps into your chip’s pores..,

^ and not to be underestimated, either. Mineral oil won't discolor, turn rancid, or harbor bacteria.

Cuz ya know... oiling naturally (in their element) is way better...

5AB635F8-F890-4236-8429-5973E8842519.jpeg

;)

The other thing to note, if the chips are to be put into play, they will eventually become oiled anyway, so you get to choose the type of oil the seeps into your chip’s pores..,

^ and not to be underestimated, either. Mineral oil won't discolor, turn rancid, or harbor bacteria.

Yes my set is going to be for play. I’ll definitely keep an open mind when I complete the set whether to oil or not.

Noob question - does oiling clays and China clays accomplish anything more than creating more of a glossy finish? Is it beneficial to the chip beyond appearance?

Noob question - does oiling clays and China clays accomplish anything more than creating more of a glossy finish? Is it beneficial to the chip beyond appearance?
I think the most undebatable benefit to oiling clay chips is that it deepens the colors. I don't know how many of us want a "glossy finish," I know I don't. Some people also say that when you oil a clay chip and it's "pores" are filled up with oil, it is less likely to get stained and easier to clean. I've oiled clay chips and can't say I have any opinion about mineral oil's protective capabilities.
I shouldn't comment on oiling china clays because I've never tried, so I'll just say I've very skeptical. China clays are much closer to plastic than clay, presumably less porous, and I have a hard time believing the oil does much but sit on the surface of the chip.

Oil CPC edges bu the barrel and wipe each chip clean with a dry towel. That will get a small amount on the face, not too much.

New chips oiled have such great colors.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom