Things That Are Bullsh*t (11 Viewers)

Attachments

• CFEF53F2-C86E-4407-BAAC-BFBD6057C148.jpeg
    CFEF53F2-C86E-4407-BAAC-BFBD6057C148.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 52
Dude, no way. My time that I was single in my 20's after school was the best time of my life. The best is yet to come!
What did you enjoy? I think I'm in that stage of the life, but really struggling work-life balance. Also, struggling on where to meet friends.

As we get older it's hard to meet friends. It was so much easier when we we're kids, there was a lot more to build and connect friendships with (school, sports, video games, hobbies, etc).

As we age it's a different story. Life and family keeps one occupied, many don't want to start a friendship with colleagues (for good reasons) or want to open up, hobbies? We don't have the time like we did when we were younger which allowed us to connect with others.

I think a lot of it is mindset. You need to find that balance between work/family/your own life. I think it's super important to remember to take time for yourself and remember who you are. Remember the small things, a motto I like to carry around.

What did you enjoy? I think I'm in that stage of the life, but really struggling work-life balance. Also, struggling on where to meet friends.
So out of college I worked a lot because my social calendar wasn't nearly as full as it was in college. I was living with my parents still and it was initially a pretty big culture shock to go from being a 5 to 10 minute walk across campus from seeing friends to seeing them only once a month or semester. I still had a few friends at college that hadn't graduated yet and even first year removed from graduation I was still visiting lots when I could (once a month at least) for the weekend since the college was only an hour and a half drive away. But still, since I had a job and was making money and living at my folks' place not paying bills, it was a lot of fun. Among the friends I graduated with and graduated before me, we would plan trips to NYC, AC, to baseball and hockey games and the like.

Ultimately though, what helped me is signing up and playing some recreational soccer in my area. I reconnected with a couple of old high school friends that way to recruit them to play together and met a few other people that way too. If you like playing a sport or a specific hobby, there are meetup websites for those as well. I'm sure if you google something in your area, some stuff will come up. That's how I found that soccer league.

But I digress. Since we're here on a poker chip forum, and I see that you're in California, why not put a feeler out and see who's having a game sometime soon? Maybe take a trip up further north and go to @BarrieJ3 's meetup in April? There's no gun to your head to make the people you play cards with your friends, but at some point, you'll find people you get along with and share interests with outside of the poker table, I'm sure.

Maybe take a trip up further north and go to @BarrieJ3 's meetup in April?
Woah woah woah. I’m pretty sure we’re booked.
ECF92A73-00B0-47EA-A258-D9890F1E5640.gif

Nah I’m just playing. @greenchip Despite how I appear online, this is probably as easy going/accepting/friendly of a group as you’ll meet anywhere. If it works out, we’d be glad to have you up here.

Woah woah woah. I’m pretty sure we’re booked.
View attachment 1055253

Nah I’m just playing. @greenchip Despite how I appear online, this is probably as easy going/accepting/friendly of a group as you’ll meet anywhere. If it works out, we’d be glad to have you up here.
I've got 2 million lira. Surely enough to get me a hotel in the area and a spot on the wait list?

I’m chuckling. I thought holy shit JMC is coming?!?! Why is he talking Lira, what the hell currency is that? I was starting to Google when it hit me like a tonne of bricks :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Nah, I wish. Disney World two weeks later instead. I may not make it out alive.

struggling work-life balance.
A guy I used to work with 10 years ago died at Christmas. He was the same age as me and it looks like it was suicide. A bunch of us that used to work together meet up three or four times a year. He was a good guy but he’d been acting a bit off for a number of years. He’d drifted away from us and his Facebook posts were all about how he’d been prompted at work, then pictures of the Porsches he’d bought, then a big new house - all material stuff. Turns out he was under all sorts of pressure and had several nervous breakdowns.

Anyway the point I’m trying to make is… Try and get a new job if you can mate. No point earning a higher wage if it makes you miserable. You’re only here once and only for a short time so make the most of it.
struggling on where to meet friends
You need to put effort into your social life. Your “out of work” life is way more important than your work life. Go and join a few clubs. Sports clubs, sports supporters clubs, whisky club, golf club, etc. Find a hobby and make sure that you’re out enjoying yourself. Work to live. The point of you earning money is so you can do nice things with it. So make this year the year to go and try stuff you’ve always wanted to do.

One last thing. Be a Yes person. Whenever someone asks you if you want to do something socially say yes* and go do it. You never know you might enjoy it. I’ve got so many daft stories (a lot of them not for a family audience) from just going and doing stuff and seeing what happens.

Anyway take care and don’t let the bastards grind you down.

* within reason. Don’t end up in a crack den or anything like that.

I think a lot of it is mindset. You need to find that balance between work/family/your own life. I think it's super important to remember to take time for yourself and remember who you are.

You need to put effort into your social life.

Life should be something you live, not just something that happens to you.
It takes some effort and thought.

If YOU don’t know what makes YOU happy, or what makes YOUR life worth living, then how can you realistically expect anyone to fit in or help you achieve any degree of happiness? They are as confused as you if you can’t define that for yourself.

Take a look around you.
Is your stuff in a mess?
Is your life full of uncertainty, doubt and insecurity?
Do you dread doing anything, even getting up in the morning?
Start small. Find one thing you like in the morning and wake up thinking about that and how you feel looking forward to it. Cup of coffee, city noise, shower, something, anything. Start small. Revel in it. Add something else every once in a while. You’ll be surprised that after a few months or even years - an insignificant amount of time in a lifetime- you will have a functioning life you actually enjoy somewhat.

Clean up your act and keep it clean. Take the few minutes to straighten something once your done with it. What else are you doing, I mean you can mope while you clean ffs. I’m not talking parent clean, just organized clean.

Go. Just go. Go for a walk. Go for a drive. Go to church or go to a bar. Just go sometimes for random interactions. Go buy some gum and give it to somebody. Learn something. If you can’t physically go then read. Read everything. Read 1000 books and you’ll have an immense background on how people interact in hundreds of situations. Sure they might be fictional, but most of our conversations are about made up stuff anyway.

Enjoy the moment. Any moment. Life is short enough, learn to enjoy anything, even the pain of a toothache. I’m not talking about S&M, I’m talking about experiencing things and savoring the experience itself, not the pity or pain. Be grateful you can experience. Watch the end of BladeRunner with the monologue for a different explanation of what I’m talking about.
Be thankful. You’ve been given an opportunity for LIFE and you can make it as bad or as enjoyable as you want. Nobody has a plan to make you miserable, it’s all your plan.
Be open minded. As Bonscot says, be a “yes guy” to experience. You won’t know what you fully like or less like until you try stuff.
Ironically, not coincidentally, you won’t see this post as you have chosen to close your mind and your experience to “mean girl”posts. But maybe somebody else will see this, maybe not, costs me nothing. Often what you perceive as”mean” is some of the most productive input you can receive. Learn to input it all, and assign importance - sometimes much less importance - to it. But don’t close yourself off and then wonder why nobody interacts with you.
Laugh at everything, even the absurdity of suffering or pain. It’s all temporary and it’s usually not as bad as you think.

You typically receive what you expect, especially once you make that expectation plain to everyone. If you continually expect to be treated like shit, guess what you get?If you want superficial friendships based on the gifts you give, guess what you get?
Making real friends is not an easy thing. To go beyond the superficial posts and conversations we have, to share experiences and thoughts, to truly interact with friends at a friendship level takes time and effort. You have to be forgiving and understanding and they do too. But most of all you have to genuinely be a person that is worthy of friendship.
If you can’t care then neither can they.

I post a lot of shit here, but it’s superficial. You’ve got to go beyond that if you really want to know the person. But if you won’t put the effort in then superficial is all you ever get. But real life and living is much much richer than that.
I don’t know about you guys, but I’m 60 and have about 400 years of experiences. I’m getting all I can out of the short time I’m here, good or bad. Think about how many summers you have left, and then decide what you can put off “until next summer”. You’ll find you can only do a few dozen things “next summer” because that’s all the summers you have left.
You gonna mope or are you gonna do stuff?

You gonna mope or are you gonna do stuff?
Those are wise words. More or less one of the two mottos I live my life by.

I got utterly shafted by two of my best mates who I worked with over quite a lot of money (a bonus equivalent to 6 months salary). When I asked for it I was threatened with the sack. So I decided that I had two options.

A - sit there and take it and just accept that’s the way it’s going to be

OR

B - do something about it.

So I sold my house, cashed in a couple of pensions and set up my own business at the ripe old age of 45. Now I’m 4 years in and have taken just about all of the clients from my old place and won a court battle involving them. It’s not easy but nothing worthwhile is.

As the man says, you’re here only for a short time. Make that time count.

Right, now that I’m suitably motivated I’m away to invade England…

5A205FB4-D442-49DA-9022-78D30871DEBB.gif

Those are wise words. More or less one of the two mottos I live my life by.

I got utterly shafted by two of my best mates who I worked with over quite a lot of money (a bonus equivalent to 6 months salary). When I asked for it I was threatened with the sack. So I decided that I had two options.

A - sit there and take it and just accept that’s the way it’s going to be

OR

B - do something about it.

So I sold my house, cashed in a couple of pensions and set up my own business at the ripe old age of 45. Now I’m 4 years in and have taken just about all of the clients from my old place and won a court battle involving them. It’s not easy but nothing worthwhile is.

As the man says, you’re here only for a short time. Make that time count.

Right, now that I’m suitably motivated I’m away to invade England…

View attachment 1055357
Are you bringing the heads of those two friends on spikes as part of your pre-battle intimidation tactics?

Also, how far south are you invading. You've got a long way to go to get close to the parts that matter lol.

Last edited:
Ordered bridge cards, and waited over two months for it to be shipped. Delay, delay, delay.. It finally arrived yesterday. Bright blue packaging and the faint smell of perfume hit when I opened the package - a bit weird, but maybe they sell them cheaper in the US. And maybe they like a bit of lemon verbena in their packages. Then I checked the contents. I'm still so confused. Apparently this was meant to be delivered to Spain......

Attachments

• 20230110_193721.jpg
    20230110_193721.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230109_193811.jpg
    20230109_193811.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 60
Ordered bridge cards, and waited over two months for it to be shipped. Delay, delay, delay.. It finally arrived yesterday. Bright blue packaging and the faint smell of perfume hit when I opened the package - a bit weird, but maybe they sell them cheaper in the US. And maybe they like a bit of lemon verbena in their packages. Then I checked the contents. I'm still so confused. Apparently this was meant to be delivered to Spain......
parcel roulette!

Poker sized seashells are much easier to deal and play with. glgl

Norovirus.

Get a call 3pm my daughter vomited at school and that I need to pick her up. Vomits a second time from the time I got called from the time I eventually got to her. Fine, maybe it's all done.

Nope.

Vomits seven more times since she's been home and three of those times on me. Now the countdown is on from when I'm inevitably going to feel like shit and emptying the entirety of my GI tract contents tomorrow.

Norovirus.

Get a call 3pm my daughter vomited at school and that I need to pick her up. Vomits a second time from the time I got called from the time I eventually got to her. Fine, maybe it's all done.

Nope.

Vomits seven more times since she's been home and three of those times on me. Now the countdown is on from when I'm inevitably going to feel like shit and emptying the entirety of my GI tract contents tomorrow.
Sorry to hear. Hope everyone stays hydrated!

Norovirus.

Nope.

Wishing everyone a speedy recovery! :)

Thanks guys.

Now my son just started. If I dodge this with both of them home tomorrow with me, it'll be a miracle.

Thanks guys.

Now my son just started. If I dodge this with both of them home tomorrow with me, it'll be a miracle.
As the father of 2.5 yo and 7 mo daughters, who seem to have successfully infected me every virus known to mankind over the past year, I emphasize with you and wish you all a speedy recovery!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom