The Week from Hell (2 Viewers)

Kain8

Flush
Reaction score
This has been, no hyperbole, one of the worst weeks in totality in my life.

We begin with atrociously cold temperatures that kicked us down below -40F with the windchill all week long. Unceasing and never letting up, making driving a nightmare for even the daily commute.

Then in the span of 2 days my dog goes from getting lab tests done, to an ultrasound, to finding he has liver cancer, to which we need to put him down, days before Christmas. Our family sobbing, inconsolable for the rest of the day. But as you go through it, the pain starts to dull where it's more just missing him than anything.

Well heck, at least Christmas will brighten up the week. That'd be true, oh so true. But just an hour before going to the in-laws for Christmas Eve dinner, our furnace gives out. So I send my wife and child off so they can enjoy themselves while I sit in my cold house for hours on end. A furnace tech has been working away for hours now, troubleshooting and trying different parts, fans, you name it.

My wife comes back to pack an overnight bag for her and our daughter so that they can stay the night at her parent's, incredibly distraught over all of this stacking up against us, while I remain behind, on Christmas Eve, to see if the repairs will be successful at nearly 10 p.m. as I post this.

So yeah, while these do amount to 1st world problems by and large, holy shit they sure do seem amplified when smashed together like this.

Here's to next week being better.

Sending prayers that the tech will resolve the problem very soon and your Christmas holiday will start looking much, much better right away!

Hang in there. And keep warm.

Wow, that’s a lot all at once. Sorry to hear about all of that. Losing a dog (member of the family) is always rough. Hope that furnace tech can get that fixed now!!! Hang in there!

I feel your pain.

Our kitchen faucet spring a leak three months ago and totally flooded the kitchen upstairs as well as the storage closet downstairs. The kitchen was a total loss, and my girlfriend and I basically had to remodel it from scratch.

Fast forward to last night, and most of the work was done. The downstairs had just gotten the drywall and insulation replaced, the kitchen had brand new semi-custom cabinets, new flooring, new stove, and paint. All we were waiting on was the counter, and everything else was pretty much done.

I woke up this morning at 3:30 am to a strange sound coming from the kitchen, and the damn thing had flooded again. All that work in the basement, ruined. The kitchen sink cabinet, totaled. My girlfriend, hysterical.

We eventually got our contractor out to stop the bleeding, but much of the damage was already done. Apparently, the valve on the hot water pipe failed, and it was showing hot water for hours before I woke up.

Sounds like this holiday has been a painful one. I’m sorry to hear about your dog, that would totally wreck me. Here’s to hoping next year brings better fortune.

May your furnace be fixed, and you be able to join your family. I feel your pain, and sorry that all of this piled up at one time. Merry Christmas to you and your family, I hope and pray that it gets better from here.

I’m so sorry to hear about your dog as well as the rest of the things that occurred recently. That is frustrating and I’m sure weighs on you. Hoping for a better day tomorrow for you and your family.

Condolences to you on the loss of your pup, I know that hurts a ton, and takes a long time to recover. Epic life downswing you're in - hang in there, we're here for you @Kain8

So sorry for your loss! Dogs are the best.

I am thankful for technicians and others who are willing to work late into the night on Christmas Eve to help others in need! I hope they can get it fixed for you soon!

Furnace tech was here til 2 a.m. til he had to call it a night. He said he'll come back later today to finish it up when he's had some rest. Slept for 5 hours myself wearing my winter coat and a space heater running. Now I'm up, waiting for him to call.

Thermostat is at 53 now so not in danger yet, but I'm truly at wit's end. Being apart from your wife and child on Christmas morning is a whole new kind of awfulness.

To top it off we’re having a big ol’ blizzard in Regina at the moment. I regret ever mentioning to you my own f-word troubles this week. Seems to be contagious if you mention that appliance by name.

Don’t burn the chips for heat till very last!

Well, final update, whole new furnace needs to be installed. They're able to do that Tuesday so for the interim, be staying at the in-laws.

In the craziness of it all, just being with your loved ones gives you the strength to go on:

2abe8085-243d-4f1a-afef-ae4998ffda1a.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom